Newbie from NaNo

wittyblather

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! My name's Haley, but I tend to go by wittyblather in many places online. You can call me either, or an abbreviation, or a combination of the two. It's all good.

Anyway, a bit about myself. I'm 20, but I'll be 21 in about 4 months, and believe me, time slows down exponentially the closer I get, haha. I live in the US. I go to school in Alabama, but I'm from Texas, and consider that to be more my home. I had to medically withdraw from my current semester because of medical issues, but I'm going to be sticking around in Alabama to receive the benefits of my scholarship, and to work on my novel. Also: I'm not actually studying writing at all. I'm a vocal performance major. I want to explore creative writing as a side job, though.

And yes, it was this year's NaNo that sparked my desire to pursue writing semi-seriously. I have a YA scifi plot that I'm absolutely in love with, and I really want to put it out there for people to read when it's complete. I have no idea what route I'll try and take. Trade publishing would be a dream, of course, but I have no official writing credentials, and I have no idea if the industry has room for yet another YA scifi trilogy with dystopian elements. So at this point, it's looking like self-pub is the way to go. I'm keeping my options open, though.

It's very nice to meet all of you! This looks like an excellent community, and I look forward to participating. :)

Griffin Hayes

One evil little baby step at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Haley! Welcome.

MrSwen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Haley; doing my first NaNo this year- can't wait for it to begin.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. And don't worry about having writing credentials. If your story is good, they won't care that you're a first-time author with no credits listed. Sure, they can help, but the story you write is more important.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Haley! :hi:

My advice would be to focus on writing the story before you worry about whether you can sell it :) Oh, and love writing. That love'll get you through most anything.

See you around the boards. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Wit,

I'm new to this place too and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's my first year doing NaNo, too. Hopefully we both leave winners :D

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Haley welcome to the cooler we are glad to have you here and look forward to seeing your work

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Haley! NaNo is an amazing experience. Good luck, and we'll see you 'round the boards.

wittyblather

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone. :) I really appreciate the warm welcome!

JustgoWrite

justgowritepodcast.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgowrite.net
Welcome to the site witty and best of luck with Nano. I also will be taking on the Nano challenge. Tried last year and failed by about 18,000 words. :( I still got a good start on my story though.

This year I am going to be expanding on that story for this year's Nano. I am similar to you in that I don't have any writing credentials but I love to tell stories and be creative.

I know it is going to sound like I am pimping my new podcast but.... I just posted the first episode of my new podcast that is all about me as a new writer taking on the challenge of writing my first novel. It's not just me, i have a couple of friends joining me. One has an english degree and at one time was an english/literature teacher. He now works in the oil field due to the better pay. My other friend is a book addict who is smart and knows story and story structure.

I have to admit we talk like sailors so if you don't mind a few curse words and can deal with our ramblings in the beginning you may find it interesting.

It hasn't gone through the approval process for itunes yet (should be up there soon) but you can listen to it @ http://thoseguysoverthere.libsyn.com

We actually get down to business with the story around 30 minutes in if you want to skip all the bs'ing in the begining.

If it's not your cup of tea, I wish you the best all the same. I'll be in the same Nano boat as you. Good luck!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

wittyblather

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to everyone I haven't responded to yet!

And oooh, podcast! I'll check it out. :) Don't worry, I swear all the time too, haha.

flea23

thewordmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fleaflyfloo.blogspot.com
Welcome Witty.

I don't know nano. Is that bad?

Just look for me, the flea, and the birds and the bees, the trees and the fallout shelters. We need one because of the Floo - he's a six foot Dodo bird. Nobody wants to be under the tree he's sitting in. Why? He breaks off HUGE branches when he changes position.