• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Flying Eye Books / Nobrow Press

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
This is a children's publisher for books up to the age of 14. Although all I see right now are children's PBs. Nobrow Press is the parent company, which seems to lean on the illustrative side.

http://www.flyingeyebooks.com/

They're commited to keeping with the traditional print books. Not sure if they also do e-books, but they are more in favor of paper bound.

I think the artwork on the covers look good, some are great. But most of them, the colors seem muted.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I haven't worked with them and I don't know who the key staff are, but they look proper. Nobrow is an indie publisher with a focus on illustration and graphic design - they do lovely graphic novels. Flying Eye appears to have been set up with a similar sensibility - they're looking for very illustrator-led, high-end, hip, beautiful-object picture books. If the covers sometimes look muted, it's probably as much their preference for that high-end graphic style as anything else.

I note that some of their frontlist is bought in from France and Germany - so, what we're saying is, it looks like they are cherry picking UK rights in books with art styles that aren't seen as commercial enough for the big beasts to pay interest. They've also got proper talent on their list in Viv Schwarz and David Lucas. I think it's an interesting and distinctive mix.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
So is that hand-crafted artwork on their wrapping paper too? If that's the case, that's pretty awesome. How cool is that for an artist, right?

I know illustrators have it even harder and seeing places like this that promote their art like that is pretty cool indeed.