When pasting first 5 pages into email, include cover page?

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a stupid question. But when agents ask that emailed queries include the first five pages pasted into the email, should I also include the cover page? Or do I skip that?

Thanks!

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Skip it. Start right at chapter one. Agents don't want to scroll, they want to read.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
If by cover page you mean the query itself, then I have to disagree with sheadakota.

What I did in my querying was to paste the query letter itself and then the first five pages below that. Unless specifically stated otherwise -- and I'm not sure I encountered any agent like this -- you always need to include the cover letter.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A cover page is not the query. A cover page has your contact info, the book title and your name. You do NOT put it in the first three-five pages you paste in to a query.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! I am so very grateful :)

Interrobang

Registered
Reaction score
If it's pasted into the body of the email, there's no need to include the cover page.

If it's a more substantial sample (the first three chapters, for example) and the agent/publisher has asked for it to be attached as a .doc or .pdf, then include the cover page.