The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Stairway Press

Stairway Press

I found it on the Publisher's Marketplace and didn't see it on the AW list. They don't look half bad either.

Here's the link:
    http://www.stairwaypress.com/

Anyone with more info on them?
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Well, it's definitely not geared toward writers. The submission information is bare bones ("send us a query," more or less) and contains this rather odd phrase:

Stairway Press is not a vanity press. All checks are signed by us and have an author's name on the 'Pay to' line.

If I'm reading it right, they seem to offer "book publishing services" - but I can't tell whether that's separate from actual publishing.
    KINGLET: Coming from FIERY SEAS PUBLISHING in August 2017

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    I don't understand why/how the books in their bestseller list aren't all published by Stairway Press.

Well I queried to see and I quickly got a R, saying they don't take YA. So that rules that out.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
    I don't understand why/how the books in their bestseller list aren't all published by Stairway Press.
    Those are its imprints (Curva Peligrosa, The Armchair Adventurer, and Shadow Lake Press)
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

smart enough to know better
    They have a bare bones contract, and give a 1K signing bonus (it's not an advance), plus royalties, but I can't remember what else. They are owned by a larger company that's not a publisher. I've seen a copy of one of their books. Very compact and very good looking. Haven't read it yet, so I don't know what the editing is like.

The author is very pleased with the treatment he got from this press. His book is doing quite well.
    Last edited by Donna Pudick; 02-19-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: More info known

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Those are its imprints (Curva Peligrosa, The Armchair Adventurer, and Shadow Lake Press)
    Oops! I'd looked for a thing about imprints and just didn't see it. I must have totally overlooked that. Entirely possible considering how stupidly insane last week was.

I received a request for a full from them. I'll let you guys know.
    Yes, I'm a writer. No, I don't want to write your memoir for you.

Oh, wow, how cool, Christy. So when did you submit? Was it a long wait?

I was bummed out when they said they didn't take YA. They look like a good place.

Twitter

Bummer about no YA, Undercover. Now that I've checked them out, I think my espionage thriller might not be literary enough for their tastes. They seem high-end in that regard.

tri