• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Firebrand Publishing

• Thread starter Deleted member 42
  • Start date

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Aren't ISBNs coded by publisher? That would be a clue toward which is which.

Deleted member 42

One of the three "Firebrand Publishing" books (This Is What Lesbian Looks Like) is listed on the Firebrand Books website. The other two (which are both by the same author) aren't.

That's Firebrand Books, the LGBT publisher of some note (awards, grants, etc. well respected). This particular book was a fairly standard text in Women's Studies and LGBT programs.

Firebrand Books Is Not The Publisher In Question.

Deleted member 42

Aren't ISBNs coded by publisher? That would be a clue toward which is which.

Yes, but a single publisher might have several prefixes.

I'd check WorldCat or even Amazon before relying on ABE books which use hand-entered (and human-error prone) data.

laurasbadideas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unlikelyexplanations.com
One of the three "Firebrand Publishing" books (This Is What Lesbian Looks Like) is listed on the Firebrand Books website. The other two (which are both by the same author) aren't.

That's Firebrand Books, the LGBT publisher of some note (awards, grants, etc. well respected). This particular book was a fairly standard text in Women's Studies and LGBT programs.

Firebrand Books Is Not The Publisher In Question.

That's actually what I was trying to say -- one of the books attributed to Firebrand Publishing appears to have actually been published by Firebrand Books (I didn't know the part about it being a well-known textbook, though).

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
To add to the confusion, I think there was a book packager called Firebrand a few decades ago.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Amy Cancryn on the subject of vanity publishing:

The world has changed. Traditional publishers have changed. The best work doesn't always get published. Publishing is a business that is being turned upside down the with closure of many bookstores and the competition of authors publishing themselves.
I think it's great and exciting.
I say call it whatever you like.
Art and artists are vain. What makes anyone think anyone else wants to hear, read, or see something they've created?
Vain - Having or showing an excessively high opinion of one's appearance, abilities, or worth.
So regardless if you are traditionally published or decide to invest in yourself, there is an element of vanity there.
That does not mean the mere fact of investing in your work and bypassing the gatekeepers of the book publishing industry means you are any more vain than someone who received a publishing book contract, a music contract or a acting job.

Look at the democratizing of video games. The majority of video game sales are from apps at the apple app store, android market or windows store. The traditional video game producers, like microsoft, sony etc are getting real competition from small startups selling games as apps.
No one accuses them of vanity when they decide to sell their games online.
No one should accuse self published authors of vanity either.
Posted on 11 April 2013, http://selfpublishingadvice.org/blog/indie-authors-and-the-vanity-publishing-question/

I know absolutely bugger-all about video games so I'll take the bolded statement at face value. If small startups are successfully competing with the big boys it's because their games are of good quality and easily available as apps.

There's no indication on Firebrand's site that the company will turn down any manuscript the author is willing to pay them to publish. Editing slush (no matter who does the editing) will not turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, and nobody wants to buy the literary equivalent of a sow's ear. That's assuming that any potential readers heard of said sow's ear in the first place, because it's extremely difficult to find the average vanity-pubbed book unless the author tells you about it personally. It's a completely bogus comparison.

The best work doesn't always get published.

The worst work, be it poorly constructed/littered with mistakes or flamboyantly, hilariously awful, stands an excellent chance of being published if the writer takes the vanity route.

This "investing in yourself" thing also irritates me. If you can't write at a professional level, by which I mean creating well-crafted work other people will pay to read, you aren't investing in yourself - you're throwing money down the drain. If Amy is still reading this I'd advise her to look at the overwhelmingly sub-standard stuff churned out by PublishAmerica, Tate and other vanity/subsidy presses. This is the sort of thing that writers vain enough to think they have literary skill will expect her company to sell.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
What makes anyone think anyone else wants to hear, read, or see something they've created?
For that matter, what makes a farmer think anyone would want to eat what she grows? Vanity. What makes a plumber think anyone would want to hire him? Vanity. What makes a writer think anyone would want to read her work? It couldn't be any objective knowledge that she's written something entertaining or useful - it's got to be groundless vanity!

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Firebrand qualifies as a vanity publisher. Whether vanity publishing is a good or a bad thing is not the most important thing we should be discussing here, though: we should be asking if Firebrand is able to publish our books well, and then sell them effectively.

The answer to both of those questions is no.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'm still not 100% convinced that Firebrand is a publisher at all, let alone a vanity.

They may merely be an author-services company that takes a manuscript then hands back an edited, formatted book with cover art and says, "Go to town, sport!"

Questions I haven't seen answered include whether various authors share an ISBN prefix, or does each author get ISBNs from a unique block. Does Firebrand assert any rights to the finished work? Does Firebrand sell the books then send royalties (even if 100% royalties)?

I find their page confusing, and that confusion makes me wonder what business plan they're using.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I almost overlooked these statements (my bolding):

put [sic] our focus is selling your book to readers, not selling YOU our services. Therefore, our packages are tailored to make you and your book successful.
http://www.firebrandpublishing.com/faqs/

Firebrand Publishing will issue ISBN’s for your book by default. However, you can provide your own. If you choose to use your own ISBN, you are essentially acting as your own publisher, with us performing the production of your book. You can use your ISBN number to be the publisher of record.
http://www.firebrandpublishing.com/best-self-publishing-services/

I take that to mean that Firebrand Publishing is a publisher.

Also:

You retain all rights to your book when you self publish with Firebrand Publishing.

But doesn't the author give up first publication rights in order for their work to be published at all?

About royalties:

You own the book, the story, all rights to the work in all formats, and you should own the royalties. ALL of it.

At Firebrand, we pay 100% royalties. Money earned from each sales channel is paid to you.

Your responsibility is to set your retail price...At Firebrand Publishing our experienced staff will help you set the best price for your book. If a price you set is not producing the desired results, we can change it. With you at the helm, your book cannot go wrong.

About Firebrand's staff:

Firebrand Publishing only uses the highest trained professionals to produce the best quality book. Our graphic designers and typesetters have over 10 years experience each.

Names and details would be helpful.

"Ebooks are all the rave. We will produce a professional ebook with a catching cover and optimized metadata, distribute your book world wide, so you the author can take advantage of the exciting ebook market worldwide."

Amanda Hemingway - Firebrand Publishing

If this is exactly what Ms Hemingway wrote, please tell me she isn't an editor or proofreader.

More misinformation:

You should self publish your book. You wrote your story, therefore you are your story’s best ambassador. Self publishing allows you to reap the benefits of being a published author and earn a living from your work better than if you published through a legacy publisher.

How many self-published authors earn anything like a living from their books?

It's unfortunate that Firebrand hasn't published anything potential customers could examine to get an idea of what the quality's like. There was such an obvious candidate, too - Kayanna Kirby's Chained by Desire. A professionally-edited new version of the book, propelled to bestseller status by Firebrand's "guaranteed success!" method, would have gone a long way to dispel scepticism about the company's claims.

Last edited: