Collection submissions with some previously published work?

jasonbwell

mercy street
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of working on what is going to turn in to a collection of 15-20 poems, all with a similar theme. My question is this:

I have 2 pieces that are part of the collection that I would like to submit for publication now, but I'm wondering if this will be detrimental later when trying to get the whole group published as one piece? In other words, do you think editors frown upon a chapbook (or collection or whatever I end up with here) submission if a few of the pieces have already been published elsewhere? I assume it is specific to the particular journal, but does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

thanks in advance.

Jason

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
you might get a bit more traction on this in the 'ask the editor' subforum.

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's my understanding that a book of "collected" poetry means they have been previously published. Generally the original publisher asks, and in some cases requires, that you mention the poem's first appeared in their magazine. It sounds like you are putting together a book of 'new and collected poems.' Good luck.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about poetry and chapbooks, but if it works the same way as books of short stories, all the ones I've heard anything about it on strongly prefer that some of the stories be previously published elsewhere.