Being a movie script writer?

hunnypot

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to write and have my own scripts be made into movies. But one does have to make a living. Is there any point in attempting to be a professional if you are not living in LA or any other city in the world where the studios are?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> I'd love to write and have my own scripts be made into movies.

Nothing prevents you from writing a script, gathering a few extrovert friends to help you get it in the can, and publishing the result on YouTube. The investment is minimal. The learning, invaluable.

And if you're any good at that, you get not only a few meager bucks out of it (from the Google ads), but you can get a fan base hungry for more. People with money look for numbers.

> But one does have to make a living.

Don't quit your day job. Just. Yet.

> Is there any point in attempting to be a professional if you
> are not living in LA or any other city in the world where the studios are?

IMHO, you are putting the cart before the horse. Learn the craft first. Go through the motion of making a movie. Demonstrate you have honed the skills in the craft and the business and are in a position to get to the next level. That's when people with budgets take you a little more seriously.

-cb

Flu

Registered
Reaction score
Bit of a loaded question. Lots of different ways to answer that.

One way would indeed be: learn the craft first, worry about making money later. Beyond the obvious, that's also true because, like any type of writing (and perhaps even more so,) screenwriting isn't a field where you can just decide to do it and then start making money at it next week.
It takes a long time to get good enough, and an even longer time to convince others that you're good enough, and there's always a chance that big break never comes. Screenwriting takes patience and perseverance, and those things come so much easier if you love the act of screenwriting itself, not just the potential light at the end of the tunnel.

That said, no, you don't have to live in LA to consider a career in screenwriting. If working in Hollywood is your aim, then you may want to move there at some point, but that's a bridge you don't have to cross until you get to it. Until then, you can write from anywhere you want.
And wherever you live, chances are movies are being made somewhere close to you as well. You don't necessarily have to work in Hollywood to make money doing the thing you love.

But again - that's the key. Only pursue screenwriting if that's what you truly love to do. I don't remember who said it or where or when - may have been NMS on this very board - but it goes something like this: If there's anything else you can think of doing that'll make you happy in life, pursue that instead, it'll be much easier.
I think that's very good advice. I sometimes wish there was something else that could make me happy. :)

hunnypot

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I have only written scripts and had them made for student stuff at college. Nothing major at all.
I love writing and love movies. I have tried other things to pursue but nothing makes me happy but writing.
I live in the middle of nowhere in the UK where there is hardly anything, let alone movies being made.
Is it possible to have a career as a scriptwriter from the middle of nowhere in the UK? If I could sell scripts, then one day move to wherever the work takes me, I would be very happy.

Saul Rothman

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to write and have my own scripts be made into movies.

I'd love to have my scripts made into movies, but I think I hate 90% of the writing part.

I'm crazy for the initial idea part and the finished part. And when I solve a problem, it's paradise.

But the nuts and bolts of writing are hell to me. I'd never do it if that 10% weren't so satisfying.

Saulisa

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
You'll impress them with the quality / originality of your writing, which you need samples of to get their attention and your foot in their door, in the first place. So yeah, there may be less reason to "live near L.A." until you've got the opportunity to pitch, etc, based on samples of what you have to offer (which lets say may take a year+ to create your sample(s)

Best to have the luxury of getting the ball rolling located where ever you already are.

A working pro may indeed need to have easy access to L.A. (or where ever the production center is in the UK) because once you're established you will be taking meetings, pitching again and again, spur-of-the-moment changes, all the typical day-to-day that demands proximity. But that's after you've had initial success via your samples.

As others more knowledgeable have said: First learn your craft.

I'm just a beginner too, but I'd float the idea that "craft" may be secondary to creativity and originality of your story?

If some producer wants a script polished or doctored, will they hire a newbie anyway (when L.A. is full of writers with track records and personal connections already)? Maybe not.

What you can best offer them as a newbie is something NEW. Your unique story or vision.

You need to hone the screenwriter's craft and skills so that they trust you can pull off the technical aspects, sure. But just as genre writing loves the STORY, and literary writing is more about style ... maybe breaking in as an unknown cares most upon STORY more than writing style of the blueprint screenplay.

Paint your movie story in their imaginations, make them want to SEE your movie (well ... make them drool to know how many movie-goers will want to buy tickets to SEE your movie) ...

But a screenplay isn't the end product there, not for them. Remember that crafting a screenplay isn't the same end-all-and-be-all as writing a novel is. Be good enough to not trip yourself up, be good enough to make them imagine what a helluva movie they could have!

Just me opinionating, of course. :)

Last edited:

Yourg

Registered
Reaction score
What everyone else said.

And, though you haven't exactly specified what you mean, I'm guessing what you mean is that you hope to be a working pro writing for big Hollywood productions.

But in the meantime, if you'll set your sights on something a little more accessible to you now, yes, it is very possible to get a short screenplay made by low- and micro-budget indie filmmakers, right where you are.

Not talking a six-figure sale to a prod co, of course. Not saying it will come easy, or that it happens all the time. But I have seen it happen on another filmmaking forum I hang out on. That is to say, there are low-budget filmmakers out there, lots of them, actually, and some of them (and some of them do quality work, too) look on forums just like this for short screenplays written by someone else to produce.

They could be on the other side of the world from you. It's not an obstacle in today's digital, socially-networked-up-the-wahzoo-world.

They may only pay you a small amount for yours. They may only offer a writing credit. But there are small indie filmmakers and nonprofessional writers making these kinds of transactions or collaborations thanks to the internet and thanks to forums like this.

And let me say just as an observer, I find it thrilling to read some amateur writer's screenplay, then see it made into an honest-to-goodness film in this way.

It's a whole new world we live in.

But getting one of these nascent (and even veteran) filmmakers to choose to turn your screenplay into an actual film isn't so different from trying to sell it to a studio, in that they too want quality work to make it worth their while. Otherwise, why bother? The serious ones doing quality work aren't going to be interested in a screenplay with crummy formatting or an uninspired story anymore than Warner Bros. will be.

Anyway. The point is that there is a real world avenue to getting your screenplay made into a film without having to be a working pro or without having to live in LA or London.

Although, I realize it's a good guess you're setting your sights a good deal higher. ;)

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
You might be better off teaming up with local people into making films and hooking up with them to go further. LA is full of outsiders trying to break in but that doesn't mean it's the only place films are being made.

For example, one of the Carolina states - I forget now whether it's North or South - now has tax breaks to encourage shooting films there. Florida is another state where there are a lot of TV shows, etc. being made.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to try looking several different production companies in Wilmington, North Carolina.North Carolina has a wonderful company called Dusty Buzzards that helps indie screenwriters team up with indie film crews.

jrowland

Registered
Reaction score
I think the hardest part after deciding that you want a career as a screenwriter is actually accepting that and doing something about it. It sounds simple, but as soon as you stop dreaming and start acting, you're at least making a step in the right direction. I would start small: learn the craft, write something, rewrite something, and go from there. Hard work eventually pays off, but you have to take the opportunities as they come. Easier said than done, I know...

Here are some helpful tips: http://www.crackingyarns.com.au/2010/07/22/10-best-screenwriting-tips/

hvxjim

Registered
Reaction score
There is a general consensus that most working screenwriters wrote around ten scripts before they sold their first one.

I don't know if I can directly link, but there is a website called Scriptshadow that is great for receiving scripts that have sold but haven't been produced yet.

You should try to read at least a script a week. Not just ones that sold, but amateur scripts that didn't make it.

Production companies want the script to follow the same story structure (for the most part). And genre is everything.

Reading sold scripts over and over again is a good way to burn that structure into your mind.

Kfu3000

I like soup
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptsandscribes.com
Hello OP,
Now, I'm not sure what the UK film scene is like, so I won't opine about that. I'm sure you do not have to live in L.A. to have a successful screenwriting UK screenwriting career.

That being said, if you want to write films in Hollywood, it absolutely helps to be in Los Angeles. You can sell a spec script, even to Hollywood, from literally anywhere there is an internet connection. But a majority of work a screenwriter can get, is not spec sales. There are all sorts of OWAs - rewrites, adaptations, pitches, etc. - that a screenwriter can and do make money at. All of them, however, require a ton of face-to-face meetings. So if you're not in L.A., then it will be substantially more difficult to become a paid professional -- and it's already super difficult.

As a few have already stated though, focus on your craft and write some screenplays long before you venture to L.A. or London or wherever you choose to pursue your dream. You can do a lot of writing and networking (with contests, fellowships, etc) without moving to a film hub. But once your screenwriting career gets any sort of traction, you'll likely find not living in L.A. will make things much more difficult.

Oh and regarding those commenting about working in another state like NC. If you're looking for an indie film community or want to work in film production on a set, those are indeed viable options. But again, a majority of the film work, especially development and script sales, originates in L.A.

Good luck to you in any case!

bluetrees4

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to write and have my own scripts be made into movies. But one does have to make a living. Is there any point in attempting to be a professional if you are not living in LA or any other city in the world where the studios are?

To be honest, I joined this lovely site for the purpose of finding a writing partner (and for reading the positivity; this site really contains good souls), so... after all... I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy... sorry, but that truly is a great moment.

I have written TV and film scripts, in a myriad of genres, but the majority focus on fantasy (think Alien, Sunshine) and drama (think Children of Men, Heat).

I'm stubborn, but I understand my flaws and most importantly, I am 100% committed to pulling my weight and crafting good scripts.

I am wiling to provide writing examples, and discuss any possibilities and story ideas (both yours and my own).

I would welcome hearing from you, and if not, I hope you quickly become the new Peter Morgan or Mike Leigh.