Success in self-publishing with little to no marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingnewbie

Banned
Reaction score
Ran into this very informative topic and I thought I would share with everyone. I hope it will be helpful. Keep in mind that this is one particular author experience so your mileage may vary.

Reproducing the whole opening post (with the author permission). All credit should go to poster smreine at kindleboards who wrote all this:

----------------------------------------
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,124433.0.html
A very quick, short, and dirty guide to slowly building sales
on: August 27, 2012, 09:49:00 AM

(Material removed by moderator)

------------------------------------------

Once again, all credit to poster smreine. I didn't write this. I'm just sharing since I believe this topic might be of use.

This is probably a "dream scenario" for most authors. Making a full time living writing novels but do very little marketing. Can it be done? Yes. But it will be hard. Very hard.

4. They shouldn't suck.

That, I believe, is the most important criteria. This whole strategy depends on having novels good enough that some readers want to add their email address to an author's mailing list. But if you can do that and start building a mailing list, you're half way there. The other half: continue to write more novels that people want to read.

p.s. Who here have a mailing list? Has it been helpful for you?

p.s. #2: This reply by NYTimes best seller Courtney Milan is too good to pass up so I will add it to the OP:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,124433.msg1964134.html#msg1964134

I don't know if it's allowed to copy and paste her whole reply so to be safe, I won't. But she advised against incentivizing signing-up (from her past experience) and wrote this:

This advice is made of gold. I give it a gold star. This is what I advise 100% over everything else in the entire world.

I'm still building, but at this point it's pretty clear to me that my newsletter is my absolute best selling tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
Writingnewbie,

I know that you say that you have the poster's permission to repost this message, but that's impossible to really verify on the internet. I've edited your post to remove the quote but left the link. Please do feel free to post a summary, or a sufficiently enticing excerpt that people will be interested in clicking through to read the post in its original location.

I also don't know that you have the commenters' permission to quote their replies. I'm sure anyone interested can peruse the thread itself to find them.

Last edited:

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the thread and posts now, and I've come to one where a poster asks smreine for permission to share her thread on a blog, even saying they'll give proper credit to her, KB's, etc.

smreine's reply was: "Be my guest. No credit necessary. Fling it far and wide." It is an interesting thread, btw.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I read this on Kboards ages ago. It is very good advice. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if anyone is serious about self-publishing it is in their interest to read Kboards. Lurk if you like, but pay attention to the advice given there because it is very sensible.

I think SM Reine has an account here? I can't remember, it could be someone else.

Anyway, I do have a mailing list but I've never pushed it, so I've never seen results. I think the reason is that Mailchimp give out your address to the sign-ups, which is a legal thing with no way of getting round it. When I go full-time I'm going to look into cheap PO boxes--or the equivalent--and work on building up a mailing list, especially as I'd like to give away a few thousand copies of The Blemished in January.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the thread and posts now, and I've come to one where a poster asks smreine for permission to share her thread on a blog, even saying they'll give proper credit to her, KB's, etc.

smreine's reply was: "Be my guest. No credit necessary. Fling it far and wide." It is an interesting thread, btw.

Nevertheless, it's not allowed on AW. If you have a problem with a mod's actions or advice here, please take it to PM next time, Ann. Thanks.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

That's super, but we really do not allow massive copying of another site's content for lots of reasons, including, they may not be able to participate in discussion here.

Moreover, if the writer later changes his or her mind, they can't edit the content here.

So large chunks of quoted text really aren't OK.

So brief quotations, say a couple of sentences, and a link would be the way to go.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That's super, but we really do not allow massive copying of another site's content for lots of reasons, including, they may not be able to participate in discussion here.

Moreover, if the writer later changes his or her mind, they can't edit the content here.

So large chunks of quoted text really aren't OK.

So brief quotations, say a couple of sentences, and a link would be the way to go.

That's what I meant to say. Thanks, Admin!

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
Well, I'm about a year into this process with the caveats that I'm writing fantasy (non-YA/NA) and my "mailing list" (social media contacts) started out as a single digit number... (well, maybe two digits)

Nowhere near a liveable level yet, nope. You could argue that I'm not releasing fast enough (only up to book 3) and saddling myself with too much overhead (cover art, editors) but whatever. I've got to be able to respect myself in the morning.

I know she says "rinse and repeat" but she doesn't mention how many repeats this takes... it's going to be a lot.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Writingnewbie,
I also don't know that you have the commenters' permission to quote their replies. I'm sure anyone interested can peruse the thread itself to find them.

The part of evilrooster's quote I was responding to.

This reply was meant only to be informational, actually to evilrooster, since I was at that moment reading the thread in question.

Nevertheless, it's not allowed on AW. If you have a problem with a mod's actions or advice here, please take it to PM next time, Ann. Thanks.

Jane, I'm trying to figure out how my simple comment, which had no intent to imply rooster's advice or actions were wrong in any way, led you to think I had a problem with that post.

I was simply replying to the part where evilrooster didn't know if the OP had permission to quote smseine's replies. I totally thought I was being helpful. There was NO underlying anything toward rooster. I'm sorry you interpreted it that way.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
Jane, I'm trying to figure out how my simple comment, which had no intent to imply rooster's advice or actions were wrong in any way, led you to think I had a problem with that post.

I was simply replying to the part where evilrooster didn't know if the OP had permission to quote smseine's replies. I totally thought I was being helpful. There was NO underlying anything toward rooster. I'm sorry you interpreted it that way.

I'm glad. Sometimes tone doesn't quite come across in conversations like this. A little clarification can really help.

It's good to know that the original author is happy for their post to get shared. We just have to make sure we do it in a way that works with Absolute Write's policies as well :).

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I don't have a mailing list and I've no interest in running one. I am doing a more low-key form of marketing though. I announce things on social media when they're new or I have news about them. I'll do a few other things here and there. But having seen the return people get for becoming human spambots or paying vast fees for adverts, I don't see the point in that. It's often throwing money after a project that isn't selling because people aren't interested in it.

A slow build is fine for me and what I've planned for. I started all this a couple a years before it'd be a big issue if it's not making money, because that's how long I expect it to take if it works out.

Like all advice, you have to consider what works for you. If, like me, you find the idea of having to regularly post to a mailing list/manage people's subscription issues to be as fun as sticking pins in your hands, but you enjoy Twitter and blogging, then it's pretty obvious which is the best way to go. Any form of long term promotion has to be sustainable.

Deleted member 42

I don't have a mailing list and I've no interest in running one. I am doing a more low-key form of marketing though. I announce things on social media when they're new or I have news about them.

I bought a book by you because you consistently write smart, thoughtful and kind posts.

It's not marketing in the overt sense, but the quality of content drives what and why people read.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This reply was meant only to be informational, actually to evilrooster, since I was at that moment reading the thread in question.

You know when I've posted in a thread that something isn't going to be allowed here, I don't really care why or what you think anyone is posting.

This discussion is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.