Registered
Reaction score

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I'm a little relieved it's a parody site. Not that I think a doof like Akin doesn't deserve to be smacked down with SCIENCE~!, but some of the ableist language they purported to Nye had me cringing...

MormonMobster

Registered
Reaction score
Easy way to tell if a "news" site is satire news is to check to see if their name has a food item in it. Daily Currant, The Onion, etc.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Satiric news sites are proliferating like crazy on the web. It's getting so that every time someone links an article where someone says something outrageous or crazy sounding, even if it's plausible, I check the date (to see if it's April 1) and then the rest of the articles on said site. Likewise for anything that seems too good to be true (people were passing something where JK Rowling admitted her attempts at mainstream fiction were flops and allegedly said she was retuning to what she did best and writing another HP book after all, and fans were getting all excited, but the date was April 1).

The scary thing is, how often some of the crazy, ignorant things politicians say about science, sex, women's issues etc. turn out to be what they really said and how close the satiric articles often are to reality.

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
It may be a parody site, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nye secretly wishes he had really said those things.

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
I want that rant story to be true with every fiber of my being.

Now pardon me, but it's time I straighten my invisible bow tie and leave the set.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little relieved it's a parody site. Not that I think a doof like Akin doesn't deserve to be smacked down with SCIENCE~!, but some of the ableist language they purported to Nye had me cringing...
Oh noes, say it ain't so!
Easy way to tell if a "news" site is satire news is to check to see if their name has a food item in it. Daily Currant, The Onion, etc.
Apple dot com?
I want that rant story to be true with every fiber of my being.
I was thinking if an astronaut can get away with literally striking back at a naysayer, then surely Bill Nye could "lose his shit" and say a few expletives.

Perhaps this is some variation on Poe's Law, that it seems reasonable to assume that outrageous idiots could prompt reasonable people say over-the-top things.
Now pardon me, but it's time I straighten my invisible bow tie and leave the set.
Speaking of a bow tie, Mr Nye was coaxed into telling all his secrets in this video (even about strange women walking right up to him and straightening it for him. Going online to see where I can buy a bow tie...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnF3qmYiggQ
That other guy in the video, I hear he chases asteroids for a living.

MormonMobster

Registered
Reaction score
Apple dot com?

Well, Apple isn't "news"; it's a company selling a product which they hope you will treat seriously. The Onion and Daily Currant on the other hand, are clearly fake news, and my rule of thumb is that if a news site name is in the same "style" (food related) as them, it's probably satire.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I usually read the comments (as loathe as I generally am to read comments). If there's some troll berating people for taking the story seriously, then I'll assume it's a satiric site.