Hey, you Gays! Stop Eatin' My Pasta!

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This will not end well...
Barilla is a famous name in Italian pasta. And it seems they don’t have a taste for gays.

If you check your local supermarket here in the states, or in Europe, you’re bound to see Barilla’s products with the familiar red label. They’re a big, worldwide brand.

Well, the Chairman of the privately-owned company, Guido Barilla, got himself into some hot water yesterday when he told an Italian radio show that Barilla is a company that “likes the traditional family.” And therefore, you’re not going to see any gays in Barilla’s advertising. And if gays don’t like it, “they can always go eat someone else’s pasta.

“Non faremo pubblicità con omosessuali, perché a noi piace la famiglia tradizionale. Se i gay non sono d’accordo, possono sempre mangiare la pasta di un’altra marca. Tutti sono liberi di fare ciò che vogliono purché non infastidiscano gli altri”.

(translation)

“We won’t include gays in our ads, because we like the traditional family. If gays don’t like it, they can always eat another brand of pasta. Everyone is free to do what they want, provided it doesn’t bother anyone else.
When Mr. Barilla's remarks went over about as well as a bowl of burnt pasta, he later issued an apology. One of those "sorry if you took offense at my offensive remarks" half-assed apologies so popular these days.

“With reference to statements made yesterday, I apologize if my words have generated controversy or misunderstanding, or if they have hurt the sensibilities of some people. In the interview I simply wanted to highlight the central role of the woman in the family.

Barilla added how sincere and heartfelt his commitment to diversity is.

He also said that he has “the utmost respect for any person, without distinction of any kind,” and “the greatest respect for gays and for the freedom of expression of anyone.”

Well, that should certainly make it all better. Let's hug it out! :Hug2:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Well, didn't he just dig himself in deeper. ". . . I simply wanted to highlight the central role of the woman in the family." Dude, you just lost this woman's business. My central role in this family is not the slapping of a pre-packaged dinner on the table.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So what about lesbians? What kind of pasta do they get to eat?

Actually, I used to use barilla pasta. Now I tend towards an imported brand.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
So then I assume it would be okay with him if there were two women in the family.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i sincerely hope non-gays everywhere will boycott his pasta. twit.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
(Looks in pantry)

Well, damn.

Looks like Barilla pasta is going to join Oberweis dairy products in my "I don't care how good the product is, I don't want to support social attitudes like that" list.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
(Looks in pantry)

Well, damn.

Looks like Barilla pasta is going to join Oberweis dairy products in my "I don't care how good the product is, I don't want to support social attitudes like that" list.
Convince Richard to start making his own pasta. You'll never want to buy premade again.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Convince Richard to start making his own pasta. You'll never want to buy premade again.

Oh he does, he does.

But do you know how loud that pasta machine is? And how hard it is to find semolina flour? And how hard it is to roll those wee macaronis? Never mind the awesome flowers, shells, and other useful shapes.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
(Looks in pantry)

Well, damn.

Yep, another one to cross off the list.

It's fine for people to have these kinds of attitudes behind closed doors, but I think it's disgusting for them to shove it down my throat like this.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Oh he does, he does.

But do you know how loud that pasta machine is? And how hard it is to find semolina flour? And how hard it is to roll those wee macaronis? Never mind the awesome flowers, shells, and other useful shapes.
*sigh*

Yeah. And time gets in the way sometimes too. I guess you'll have to find another premade brand. A nice, non-discriminatory premade brand.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I tried this new Fibonacci Bolognese recipe the other day, but after about six or seven pieces they were too big to chew.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
(Looks in pantry)

Well, damn.

Oh CRUD...what happened with Oberweis?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Oh CRUD...what happened with Oberweis?

Jim Oberweis, who runs the family dairy business, is a rabidly anti-immigrant Illinois politician. He used made-up statistics and fear tactics in his unsuccessful 2004 Senate run. He also improperly used his dairy commercials as campaign platforms, for which he was fined.

This was his most famous (and notoriously inaccurate) anti-immigrant ad, filmed in his private helicopter.

His ice cream shops, meanwhile, employed illegal immigrants in substandard conditions.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what about lesbians? What kind of pasta do they get to eat?

angel hair.

Uh. :Wha:

I got nothin'. :e2shrug:

Back to Mr. Guido Barilla, (whose name and hair alone should supply plenty of material for late night comedians for a week or so,) I wonder what his thinking process was?

This moron just told an entire portion of the population he doesn't want their business and they should go support his competitors.

Does he realize non-gays might also choose to stop eating Barilla pasta as well because obviously consuming too much of it not only makes you fat, it also makes you a raving homophobic douche nozzle?

What could possibly go wrong with that strategy? Besides everything?

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Haggis is right...
Get a pasta machine and make your own. Relatively easy, fun and it tastes better.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Next thing you know, he'll be saying a woman's place is in the kitchen making sandwiches.

I like pasta, but he can take his 'tude and shove it.

Now I'm hungry. I blame the OP for that.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
yay for non-apologies...

With reference to statements made yesterday, I apologize if my words have generated controversy or misunderstanding, or if they have hurt the sensibilities of some people. In the interview I simply wanted to highlight the central role of the woman in the family.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Next thing you know, he'll be saying a woman's place is in the kitchen making sandwiches.

I like pasta, but he can take his 'tude and shove it.

Now I'm hungry. I blame the OP for that.
No, obviously, a woman's place is in the kitchen making spaghetti.

This upsets me because Barilla is my sainted mother's favorite brand, and she won the kitchen war, and she is known for knee-jerk brand loyalty. Plus, the next biggest brand on the shelves in Stop-n-Shop is Prince, and that shit sucks. I preferred the house brand at my local Market Basket store, which is as good as Barilla for significantly less money, but like I said, mom won the war and she doesn't like the trip to Market Basket. What to do, what to do...? Because even aside from the bigotry, Barilla is pricey.