The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Coventry Press Ltd.

Coventry Press Ltd.

A new press that just opened this year (2013)

http://coventrypressltd.com/Home_Page.html

They're only an e-pub. They say they don't charge either. Covers look okay.
    They are focusing on YA.

Not sure about much else.

Thoughts anyone?
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Stealing your twiglets. Anninyn's Avatar
    Coventry Press Ltd. is a new Ebook Only publishing house dedicated to giving new voices a chance.

In the competitive publishing world, so many wonderful stories never make it past the slush pile. Here at Coventry, we endeavor to give those stories the chance to be told.
    After reading many threads on BRBC language like that makes me concerned almost immediately. Yes, there are many books that never get published and never get past the slushpile. There are often very good reasons for that. Publishing is not and should not be about the dreams of authors, but about selling good books to people who want to read them.

I'm not seeing anything about the people behind it or their experience in publishing.

I (myself) wouldn't submit just yet but would give it a little while to see how they go. And even then, I'd be starting with the biggest and working my way down.
    Last edited by Anninyn; 09-26-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Good point. It sounds like they're saying they'll take the leftovers that other publishers don't want. There's a difference when publishers say "We take the unique manuscripts that don't normally fit the mold other publisher's programs"...

But it doesn't sound that way. And not knowing who's running the show is another red flag, another good point Ann. You can be sending it to some little old lady that just likes to read for all we know. Maybe they will change that eventually and clarify more on that.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    If it was just the second sentence, I could see it as works that slipped through the cracks, but the first one about "giving new authors a chance" sounds too much like the old typical "publishers are meanies" sort of sentiment for comfort. I would be very surprised if this wasn't run by authors who couldn't get published.

Agreeing with the rest of the warning signs, and adding that maybe it is too judge-y of me, but I'm put off by the fact they are using what appear to be stock images and photos on their home page. It just looks... off.

The founder of Coventry Press is listed under "Our Authors" - she is the only author they have at the moment it seems.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    From the Coventry Press website:

Marianne Morea
    Author and founder, Coventry Press Ltd. Check out more about her at,
    www.mariannemorea.com

Coventry Press was an idea that swirled around in my mind for years. In fact, I named the company after penning my first novella in 2010.

After being traditionally published, I have decided to try my hand at it myself, having learned a great deal from my own experiences. I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Mitchell-Morris Publishing and its owner, Tracey Mitchell, for all her support and guidance. Also to Karen Fuller, owner of World Castle Publishing. Both ladies are terrific publishers and talented writers in their own right.

Currently, my books are the only adult fiction Coventry publishes, having decided to keep our focus primarily on Young Adult. I sincerely hope you can join me in this new adventure, and happy readining!
    http://coventrypressltd.com/OUR_AUTHORS.html
    These AW threads are worth a look:
    World Castle: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207537
    Mitchell-Morris: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251920
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No further activity at site, and all books published since are by owner.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: