Script Length [stage plays]

siralex

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, first-time poster here.

I am currently writing my first play and have it about 90% down on paper. I am really pleased with it. However, one thing that bothers me is the fact that I may have too many scenes. There are 38 scenes in total - but they are all quite short - around 3-4minutes each.

The issue is, it is a true-life piece, that spans about 45-years, so I need to scenes. Maybe there is a way that I can move on from scenes with very simple production?

Can anybody tell me whether this is acceptable?

Thank you.

sekime

Writing and learning
Registered
Reaction score
Read 10 scripts from famous movies. Compare your scene lengths to them. Three to four minute scenes are long.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yep I think so to, reflected in the thread title edit and the thread move to Playwriting forum.

-Derek

Scott_Younger

Registered
Reaction score
I think the structure you refer to may not be much of problem if written well but, that said varied scene lengths are the norm. 38 separate scenes is quite a lot for a play, consider looking through your scenes and working out which ones are absolutely crucial to the plays direction. If some aren't cut them, and maybe flesh out your existing important scenes. Hope this helps. :)

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
I think the problem may be that you're thinking too much in conventional terms as far as "scenes" are concerned. Gone are the days of the good old three-acter. One of the great things about writing for live performance is the fact that it's not only the dialogue which matters, but the audience's total experience. Often, a playwright must concern him/herself not only with what is said, but how the whole piece is presented. Basically, a play is no more than people talking to other people. The idea of consecutive scenes which advance the narrative in an orderly sequence still works, but it isn't the only way. The playwright can play with time, voices, settings and styles. In other words, if your play doesn't fit into accepted theatrical conventions, fine - invent a new one.