Novel Writing Soundtracks

junebugaboo

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got a playlist they listen to while they write their historical sagas? I'm looking to add to mine. I'm working on a novel set in ancient Rome, so of course I have most of the Gladiator soundtrack in the line up. BUT, I am such a huge fan of the Last of the Mohicans soundtrack I've included a few songs from that score as well. I also have one from, *sigh*, the original Conan the Barbarian--the song that plays when Conan and co. crash the sorcerer's part-ay. I love the simple piano pieces of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but they don't fit the mood of my story. Ever on the lookout for more songs to add to the list...

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Well, I'm not writing any sagas, but . . .

Mozart. That's all that's needed.

(Honestly, I have a fairly eclectic mix of music that I listen to on shuffle, so there's a little bit of everything. A lot of times, though, I'll listen to strictly Mozart. Never gets old.)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm writing about Pompeii so I'm with you on the Gladiator Soundtrack. But I have a lot of modern music on my playlist, too. Songs with lyrics that catch the mood, even though I don't pay attention to the words while it's playing. I just know what the song is about. I also like to listen to Brazilian music because I CAN'T understand the lyrics (I know, contrary). I'm currently obsessed with Paris Vila Mathilde by Curumin. And I do mean obsessed. *sigh*

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, jbb! :hi:

I have a number of Thomas Newman compositions on my playlist that help get the proverbial juices flowing when necessary. He's scored many films (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Road to Perdition among others) that put me in an appropriately bleak state of mind. :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got a playlist they listen to while they write their historical sagas? I'm looking to add to mine. I'm working on a novel set in ancient Rome, so of course I have most of the Gladiator soundtrack in the line up.

Have you ever listened to the soundtrack to The Eagle? The composer worked with Edinburgh University, and it uses authentic ancient instruments (as well as being recorded in Medieval churches and uses Gaelic and Icelandic singers) rather than modern synthesizers.

junebugaboo

Registered
Reaction score
angeliz2k: I'm not sure if I can do Mozart, but you inspired me to sift through my classical stock. I tend to go for moody piano pieces, some discord, stuff that makes one sad--I've added a few Chopin nocturnes, some Satie, and decided even to throw in Ravel's Bolero and some Philip Glass.

quickWit: Thanks! Just downloaded a few songs from Road to Perdition! If you go for "bleak," I like Samuel Barber's Adagio. It's the song from David Lynch's Elephant Man, probably one of the most depressing movies of all-time.

gothicangel: Thanks for this! I'm off to check it out...I saw the movie when it came out and remember liking it, but I don't remember the score.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
junebug - it's always interesting to see what works for others. I can't put up with adagios-too somber. I like more upbeat movements. Haydn & Mozart concerti, and almost anything by Vivaldi (minus the adagios and largos)

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
angeliz2k: I'm not sure if I can do Mozart, but you inspired me to sift through my classical stock. I tend to go for moody piano pieces, some discord, stuff that makes one sad--I've added a few Chopin nocturnes, some Satie, and decided even to throw in Ravel's Bolero and some Philip Glass.

quickWit: Thanks! Just downloaded a few songs from Road to Perdition! If you go for "bleak," I like Samuel Barber's Adagio. It's the song from David Lynch's Elephant Man, probably one of the most depressing movies of all-time.

gothicangel: Thanks for this! I'm off to check it out...I saw the movie when it came out and remember liking it, but I don't remember the score.

Ah, then Mozart might not be for you, because it's the most charming music in the world--most of it is essentially happy (with notable exceptions). But nothing--nothing--makes me happier than Mozart.

bewarethejabb

Monkey With A Typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribophile.com
I don't know if this will help with your era, per se, but I listen to a lot of goofy miscellaneous ye-olde (most of it is 18th century or later, including pseudo-folk written in the last 30 years, even though they're usually passed off as 16th century in performance and my piece is 12th century) stuff from around the British Isles, stuff I would / do perform at Renaissance Faires, and daydream about how I will work them into the show when HBO picks me up like the next Game of Thrones :p

I also have a very short list of theme songs for my protagonists. "Some Nights" (tacky, I know) for my Good King archetype, because a la Edward IV and Henry II he's thrown into this whole leadership abruptly as a teenager and has big shoes to fill, and I imagine him as rather lost in how to pull it off, even though he's bullshitting the best he can. "Nicest Thing" for my Generic Child Bride archetype, because she's largely Joanna of Wales and I picture her being heartbreakingly in love with an older man who doesn't know she exists. (She also gets The Rachels "First Family Portrait" which may be just about the most tragic contemporary instrumental ever written.) And "Bombs Away" for my Evil Younger Brother, as well as the whole series, because the opening voice-over by Morgan Freeman just about sums up everything I'm trying to say thematically about history as recorded being very different from how it actually happened.

As the war between Light and Darkness continues, Heroes and Villains become harder to identify.
Kindred spirits separated at birth, waiting for their place in time to be solidified.

Radzeer

The Man from Eastern Europe
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much anything from Two Steps From Hell.