New To Absolute Write

CarlHackman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlhackman.com
Hi,

I'm new and just hitting the query trenches.

I write fantasy and have two novels. One a humorous fantasy and the other a contemporary fantasy.

I'm querying GERALD, my upper mg humorous fantasy at the moment whilst revising my contemp fantasy JAGUAR.

Enjoying the writing but the trenches can sometimes be depressing LOL.

I now have the luxury of being able to write full time (ex-navy) and love the fact that I can get up, grab a coffee and delve into the story I'm working on.

Always looking for beta readers to exchange stories with as I'm querying.

Thanks for reading my drivel :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

juliesondra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliesondradecker.com
Wow! Well, good luck to you on querying! (I know that feel. Haha. And I'm also a fantasy author!)

If you didn't already know/somebody didn't already tell you, the Successful Queries thread here at AW has some advice for queriers!

CarlHackman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlhackman.com
Thanks for the welcome all :)

I'm actually doing a "Queries That Hooked An Agent" series on my blog and always looking for authors to contribute. It means getting a paragraph from their agent though explaining why the query was successful.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, and good luck in the query trenches. I like that metaphor.

CarlHackman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlhackman.com
Got a partial request today, so I'm obviously freaking out thinking that my MS isn't good enough LOL

Still haven't had the guts to hit the send button yet. It is sat in my email program as a draft waiting to go.

Randy Lee

knew the job was dangerous
Registered
Reaction score
A partial request, congratulations. It may be too late to be worrying that your manuscript still needs work. Push the "send" button. What's the worst thing that could happen that would be worse than not answering the request?

There's no way it could be scarier than jumping out of helicopters.

Do it.

Last edited:

MrSwen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck on your queries

ChristinaJGustin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually doing a "Queries That Hooked An Agent" series on my blog and always looking for authors to contribute. It means getting a paragraph from their agent though explaining why the query was successful.

Welcome! I'm also a fantasy writer (finishing up the revisions on my YA novel). I'm hoping to start querying in a few months.

A "Queries That Hooked An Agent" series is a great idea. I've been reading all of those that I can find (including the successful queries thread here at AW). Glad to hear that you have a request for a partial! *Fingers crossed and good wishes sent your way*

Pavlova

Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow newbie and congratulations on the partial!