Greetings, humans

BoltzmannBrain

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a computer science student from Germany, but I prefer English. I like reading science fiction and metafiction, but also read other genres from time to time.
I have become obsessed with an idea for metafiction I developed about a year ago and am now writing a novel about it.
However, I find it a lot easier to add more and more details to my plans than to actually write a full chapter and have very little in that regard right now, even though I have enough material for a massive tome.

The setting is about a meta-civilization that has grown so powerful that it has figured out that it does not live in reality but within a computer simulation. Unlike similar stories, this is not played for laughs but is utterly serious. The civilization goes on to develop technology that allows them to exploit small errors in the computers running their reality in order to enter other simulations/stories, running in parallel on different parts of the computer. They make it their mission to help and uplift as many societies as they can find.

The novel itself is about one such other story that gets rapidly put on its head when a literal plot hole opens and characters from the meta-civilization enter their world. The novel starts with a rather normal plot, but by the end of the first chapter, even the narrator is confused about what just happened. It gets both weirder and more existentially terrifying from there on out as people realize just how much their lives are affected by the fact that they are fictitious.

The story is supposed to be philosophical and thought-provoking and is based on slight bastardizations of actual philosophical thought-experiments.
Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, it provides a framework within which other stories can be told. This is the reason I have become obessed with it: This framework can be used to give a scientifically valid and fully self-consistent explanation for any other story, no matter how strange. To a scientist like myself, this greatly increases my enjoyment of otherwise ridiculous stories.

Now the big question:
Does this sound like an interesting idea to anyone else or have I simply become too obsessed to view this objectively?

Note:
I do not expect this book to sell well, since this topic is way too complicated for the mainstream and my writing skill is practically nonexistent at this point. In fact, I am playing with the thought of making this novel publically available for free. I have my university education to hopefully provide money, this is for fun and to see where it leads.
What I would optimally like to see, however, is a small number of fans who appreciate the complexities of the story.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

You might want to post your question(s) in one of the other forums, such as Novels and Roundtable. You will probably get a better response there. This is mostly a "meet and greet" sub-forum.

By the way, I'm the moderator of the Tech Help sub-forum. Most of the questions for Tech Help are of the basic type, but we're always looking for anyone who can help when someone does have a problem. With the various operating systems and software there is no way one person can know it all. Be sure to check it out as you're getting familiar with the forum.

Last edited:

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
hi and welcome to the cooler. all ideas have potential it always comes down to how well you execute the idea.

take time look around and i am sure that you will find the guidance you are looking for

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I think the story sounds interesting. If it's written well, cyberpunk fans (of which I am one) might find it interesting.