Not open for further replies.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Coming up for air. Gasp. Choke.

You haven't heard from me for a while. Likely you've all been happier that way...

So I have this book that's due, and is so not humming along. I work on it sporadically, but it's just like, "ya, dahh, I can't hear you!" and doesn't want to cooperate.

So what happens? I get an idea for a completely new book, just a scenario, really.

Two weeks ago this idea comes. I sit down and start typing, just to get it out of my head.

Two weeks. Carry-out pizza and piles of laundry later. Skipped meals, no other hobbies. I barely broke away to sleep and watch the Bears squeak by the Vikes. I type A LOT. Two weeks. 53K words.

I've got this mini-book. A romance, natch. Contemporary, not historical (I'd left contemporary behind, which is probably exactly how this idea sprang into my head, like Athena full-armed from the brow of Zeus).

Trouble is, when the characters took over (it was as though all this stuff had already happened to all these people, and I was just jotting it down), they didn't play C-fic nice. They're not averse to a glass of wine with dinner. One of 'em has an emotional meltdown and gets hammered. They cuss occasionally. They don't bother kicking the bedroom door closed after they get married and youknowwhat.

What do I do with this non-G-rated book? My previous stuff has all been fic you can toss to Grandma or your 14 year old. This isn't. I don't know whether it will ever see daylight, but...

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Last edited:

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Have you thought about querying this using a pen name? At one time I considered using one for the novel Chip's been showing, but since all my other Christian novels have been PG-13 or thereabouts, I decided to keep my regular name for everything.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I suppose I might. My small but deeply disturbed following is not going to know about it, though, if I do that. I might sniff around some of the houses that don't require agents, since I'm joyfully and gratefully agent-free.

Writing this piece, I didn't allow any "rules." It was a tremendously free experience. I know you know what that's like.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Ancillary to this (kinda), this week my agent Chip MacGregor will be pitching Pitfall, the first of my new general market suspense/thriller series, to some VERY nice houses. The novel features as its main character John Brenner, a wounded former Army Ranger captain who assuages the guilt he feels over the loss of his entire command in Iraq by helping people who have nowhere else to turn. Prayers appreciated.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.