Smashword formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
Not that I'm looking for shortcuts, but is there a more concise formatting guideline for Smashwords?

I've tried reading through it all, but find there are a lot of pages that don't apply to me.

I'd started formatting about a month ago, got a headache, then got sidetracked with something else entirely, and now that I'm ready to dive in again, I'm lost and after only five minutes, have a headache, again.

Please....

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Basically strip all the formatting, make sure your paragraph formatting is indents and nothing else, add a clear copyright statement and hyperlink your chapter headings to a basic table of contents. Then you should be good.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I just skipped what didn't apply to me. It seemed clear and concise to me.You're trying to create a very basic, no-frills document. No extra spaces, paragraphs/returns or tabs. Insert page breaks when you want a new page to start (beginning of a chapter, copyright page, etc.). I used Times New Roman in point size 12 and justified the margins. Are you having trouble with something in particular?

ETA: I forgot about the indent formatting. Do not use tabs, but do use the first line paragraph indent feature. It defaults to .5, but I set it to .3.

Last edited:

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
For one thing, it says to turn of AutoCorrect... to uncheck 'most' boxes. I did that, though I don't understand the 'most'. I'm rereading the guide as I go along, but, I'll try like you say and cross my fingers. :)

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Ah, I hate so many of Word's autocorrect features and have them turned off already. I also have most of the boxes unchecked. I want to hyphenate words myself, not let the computer generate hyphens where it thinks they should be. Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.