• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Other Press

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, there you go. I guess it would go under that thread then. No wonder they look wonderful.

They do have the editorial emails for contacts, but I don't see the submission guidelines. Probably another one you can't submit to without an agent.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so it says no unsolicited manuscripts. But does that also count for queries too?

What if you just queried them with one of those editor emails?

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so it says no unsolicited manuscripts. But does that also count for queries too?

What if you just queried them with one of those editor emails?

Probably going to need an agent. They're a major independent publisher with significant reach. An email to any of the editors will likely be met with complete silence.

I don't think they're a division of Random House, but that Random House handles their distribution.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Looks to have a great, experienced staff. Been in business since 2002? Mix of non-fic and fiction. All indications suggest they do YA titles. I don't know whether this is agent-only or referral or invitation only--hard to tell. Distributed by Random House = a good thing for print, at least.

Nice find, Undercover!

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Looks to have a great, experienced staff. Been in business since 2002? Mix of non-fic and fiction. All indications suggest they do YA titles. I don't know whether this is agent-only or referral or invitation only--hard to tell. Distributed by Random House = a good thing for print, at least.

Nice find, Undercover!

Yeah, maybe you can tell your agent to send to this one too. I found a few others for our growing list. I'll pm or email them to you soon. Hope you're doin good, C.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Thanks, Undercover. I did put that notation in my spreadsheet for the agent. It looks like you and I are compiling the ultimate list of advance-paying small press markets--it seems to grow every other day or so. One day we'll have everybody nailed and on the list. Our next task will be a whopper--who has real distribution and sells to the trades. Advance + distribution is a rare animal in the small and indie press. Our list won't be that large at all. From what I hear, Entangled now qualifies for that category. Night Shade used to. I think Soho is up there, etc...

tri

Round Two

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Undercover. I did put that notation in my spreadsheet for the agent. It looks like you and I are compiling the ultimate list of advance-paying small press markets--it seems to grow every other day or so. One day we'll have everybody nailed and on the list. Our next task will be a whopper--who has real distribution and sells to the trades. Advance + distribution is a rare animal in the small and indie press. Our list won't be that large at all. From what I hear, Entangled now qualifies for that category. Night Shade used to. I think Soho is up there, etc...

tri

Just to be clear - Other Press and Soho are significantly larger than Entangled or Night Shade.

This is one of those problems with people indiscriminately using the words "small press." With the loose definition you go from companies operating out of somebody's basement to companies making millions to tens of million dollars annually (still significantly smaller than the Big 5/6).

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
And Night Shade, like Other Press, does not accept unagented subs, so that eliminates a lot of writers there too.

Whereas Soho and Entangled you can submit without an agent.

Round Two

Registered
Reaction score
And Night Shade, like Other Press, does not accept unagented subs, so that eliminates a lot of writers there too.

Whereas Soho and Entangled you can submit without an agent.

Soho also has a reputation for publishing books of the highest literary quality. If you aren't already familiar with their line, you should definitely check out a few titles to get a feel for the kind of thing they do. They've got multiple titles that have won/been named finalists for prestigious awards and Best Of lists. Understanding a publishing company -- what they do and how they fit into the market -- is really important.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've known about Soho for a while. They're big into mysteries, but they seem to have a international slant to it. Or from what I remember. I was interested in Soho Teen at the time. And yes, they are really REALLY good. I see their books everywhere and in libraries too and hold them in high regard when it comes to them.

Entangled, although getting really up there in best sellers and now paying advances is great too, but weren't necessarily sterling when they first came out. I believe there was some discrepancy a while back about their contracts.

So in other words, each one that's out there is different in some way and with this it deciphers from small, mid-size to large pubs.

And yes, RT some small publishers out there aren't necessarily small, while other small publishers are so small it's as if they don't even exist.

Round Two

Registered
Reaction score
I've known about Soho for a while. They're big into mysteries, but they seem to have a international slant to it. Or from what I remember. I was interested in Soho Teen at the time. And yes, they are really REALLY good. I see their books everywhere and in libraries too and hold them in high regard when it comes to them.

Entangled, although getting really up there in best sellers and now paying advances is great too, but weren't necessarily sterling when they first came out. I believe there was some discrepancy a while back about their contracts.

So in other words, each one that's out there is different in some way and with this it deciphers from small, mid-size to large pubs.

And yes, RT some small publishers out there aren't necessarily small, while other small publishers are so small it's as if they don't even exist.

Has Entangled had best sellers on the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, USA Today lists? I'm totally unfamiliar with them, but the term "best seller" has also lost pretty much all meaning in the last few years.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score

Round Two

Registered
Reaction score
http://amymnewman.com/2012/04/18/interview-with-stacy-abrams-editor-at-entangled-publishing/

I just Googled it real quick and here is just one of the links stating they have one of their books on USA and New York Times Best Seller lists. I'm sure if you keep Googling you'll find more. But I think we derailed enough.

I'm wondering if there's a thread on Other Press since it's tied to Random House.

It's not tied to Random House like you're thinking it is. It's distributed by Random House. It's a separate company. Large publishers sometimes distribute independent presses that are editorially in line with their list. In the same way Other Press is distributed by Random House, so is Soho.

Here's a list of all the publishers Random House distributes (that aren't divisions of Random House) - http://www.randomhouse.biz/publisherservices/currentclients.html

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Man, okay. I get it now. Thank you for pointing that out. There's some on the list that I didn't know of. I will definitely be checking them out. It even highlights the ones that do YA. Roundy, you're a gem. Any time you need a crit or something, please let me know. It'd love to repay the favor. You clarifying that and the link, may open to new possiblities to submitting, barring the fact they don't take unagented submission.

Didn't know RH distributes for Wizards of the Coast too. And Quirk Books too? Wow, didn't know that either. Ya learn somethin new everyday. Thanks again RT.

Last edited: