• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[ePub/YADS] Kindle Worlds

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I'm really, really tempted to write some Barry Eisler fanfic, in which John Rain is sent to murder a publisher by an embittered author, but is won round by the indispensability of publishers and all the great things they do.

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
For now, you can only submit to Kindle Worlds if you have a US bank account so I'm out.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I've considered it. I'd love to write in a few of the Valiant Canon worlds but they are pulling from the newer run of comics, not the older set that I have so I'm out.
Good god. A Valiant Comics fan. The few, the proud.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really, really tempted to write some Barry Eisler fanfic, in which John Rain is sent to murder a publisher by an embittered author, but is won round by the indispensability of publishers and all the great things they do.
I thought you could only write for the worlds they've already bought the rights to? But I don't know much about it.

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world

I thought you could only write for the worlds they already bought the rights to? But I don't know much about it.

It is!

In other news, I need to read some John Rain now.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
If someone does, post a link. I don't read fanfic, but I might if I knew someone who wrote it (from a board or whatnot).

It's an interesting way of writing. For me, I always felt like I'd have to be a super hardcore expert of a show, comic, movie to be able to write fanfic.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
G.I. Joe? G.I. Joe?

Oh, that reminds me of the delightful G. I. Joe Mary Sue I read once, who was blind but who still went out to fight with the rest of them.

A reviewer asked if the Joes would tell Cobra, "Hey, our newest recruit is blind. So if you see her on a battlefield, can you make a little noise so she knows where to aim?"

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that reminds me of the delightful G. I. Joe Mary Sue I read once, who was blind but who still went out to fight with the rest of them.

A reviewer asked if the Joes would tell Cobra, "Hey, our newest recruit is blind. So if you see her on a battlefield, can you make a little noise so she knows where to aim?"

Speaking of, article didn't say what continuity (or continuities) they accept stories for. I'd assume IDW, but there are even several of those, and then there's the movies which are also still ongoing, so yeah.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Am I reading this right? L.J. Smith, former writer of the Vampire Diaries, is now writing and selling Vampire Diaries fanfic through Kindle Worlds?

Huh.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Hahahahaha! Good for her! If word gets out, she'll likely make more money that way than she ever made doing the work-for-hire Vampire Diaries books. And I bet her fanfic will be accepted as cannon.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I did laugh when I read about the Vampyre Diaries writer. That's brilliant!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
So Kindle Worlds is self publishing? You have to pay for your own cover, self edit, and do your own formatting?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
So Kindle Worlds is self publishing? You have to pay for your own cover, self edit, and do your own formatting?

Kindle Worlds is a publication submission platform where you choose a licensed World, read the Content Guidelines for that World, write your story, upload that story, create a cover using free images or your own image, and accept a publishing contract with Amazon Publishing. It’s simple and it’s fast. Every Kindle Worlds story will be featured on Amazon.com and Kindle devices and apps. Review the steps below to learn how to publish your story.

and then further down on the How It Works page:

Kindle Worlds Review
Kindle Worlds will review your story to make sure it follows Content Guidelines.
If it does, we will publish your story and notify you.
If it does not, we will let you know so you can edit and resubmit.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
So it's self publishing fanfiction in certain licensed worlds, and exclusive to Amazon.

It's a very specific and limited niche, but if you are already a fan of GI Joe, The Vampire Diaries, or Valiant Comics then you may be in luck.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
The day they license any of the following: Star Trek, Star Wars, Naruto, A Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time, Marvel Comics, or DC Comics I will jump on this hard.