My Own Crazy Self-Publishing Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Well, the momentum from April definitely carried over into May. I had my best month so far this year. I'm still stunned and over the moon over how my signing and book promos helped sales. They're tapering off now, but such is the ebb and flow of sales. I'm just happy that I got the sales spike in the first place!

I've finished the third book in the series and it's with the beta readers now. I hate this part. I feel so useless. There's nothing I can do until they finish with it, so I feel like I'm just wasting space until they get it back to me. I've been toying with the idea of taking a little break from the series, but I think I've decided to just power through and finish it up. However, I'm drafting some ideas for break-off novellas centered around each individual character in the series. Old Hack suggested it in another thread and I think that it might be the answer to my need for a break. We'll see. If nothing else, it might be fun to put out shorter works and see how they do compared to full-length books.

I did have one nasty little comment made to me this week, and I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this in their journey. I made a comment on my personal Facebook page about how I needed to get my next project started because I was miserable not writing. A friend of mine shocked me when she commented, “Or get a job.” She meant it as a joke, but I was taken aback by the general attitude that writing is not 'real' work. I know many people don't consider art important, but this kind of threw me for a loop...and made me question whether or not I was just being naïve and immature in thinking that writing can be a viable career. Do people look at writers the way they look at sports players? That we're just grown-ups still playing games? I know my siblings think of my writing that way, but I just assumed it was because I'm the baby and they still think of me as such. Anyone else run into this?

Well, here are the results for May:

May Sales for Next Exit, 3 Miles:
Kindle: 14
CreateSpace: 0
Hand Sold: 0
Total Sold: 14
Grand Total to: 88

May Sales for Next Exit, Pay Toll:
Kindle: 19
Total Sold: 19
Grand Total to: 63

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your total sales. When you add them up, it's a little over a sale a day. I think that's awesome!

As to that comment, I thought it a bit rude, too. You know, "Out of the heart the mouth speaks." I have had my writing referred to as "my little hobby." Ouch! I guess we just have to learn how to roll with the punches and let it run like water off a duck's back. Write on, my friend!

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome sales! Congrats!

Sorry about that comment. I haven't faced that, but I don't mention my writing on my personal FB anyway. I'm a stay at home mom, so people don't often give me that 'get a real job' thing. Any that are brave enough to try it...well it doesn't go over well.

Writing is a viable career, it's just an easy one since there are millions of books out there trying to get noticed.

Enjoy your success and as Ann Joyce said, let it roll off and keep writing.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
Re: your friend's comment -- maybe I've just been lucky, but the worst response I've gotten to admitting I'm a writer is a nod and changing the subject. Which isn't bad.

A lot of people say that they tried writing or would like to. I think they're looking for some common ground between us since it's an unusual occupation.

And hey, I can understand someone with a 9-to-5 plus commute being jealous of my flexible schedule and the seemingly indulgent nature of writing.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
We've hit the halfway mark for the year, and things are going better than I expected in January! My boost in sales has definitely gone back down, but I am still selling consistently and more than I was at the beginning of the year, so I'll take it. Heading into the summer, I'm happy with where I'm sitting.

I have finished the deepest and most brutal edits of the third book in The Exit Series, and it is now with my cover artist, waiting for her to work her magic. I've heard back from all the test readers except one, and the feedback was overwhelming positive! What a relief! I really was worried about this one, but they seemed to like it. :) I started working on the back cover copy last night. After two hours, I wanted to shoot myself, so it's now going to sit for a while until I can go back to it with fresh eyes. I've gone back to working on book 4, diving in head-first with wild abandon. New projects are always so exciting!

Other than that, not much else to say. I'm working hard writing and preparing for the launch of the third book, hopefully end of August – beginning of September time. It's a bit of a rush because the story takes place at Halloween and I want to have it out in time for fall. We'll see how quickly it all comes together!

Here are the results for June:

June Sales for Next Exit, 3 Miles:
Kindle: 5
Total Sold: 5
Grand Total to: 93

June Sales for Next Exit, Pay Toll:
Kindle: 6
Total Sold: 6
Grand Total to: 69

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey CW, congrats on your sales! I feel ya about writing back cover blurbs. Have you studied any popular books in your genre to see how they word things? I've been doing that recently because I'm going to spice up my book descriptions to see if that'll help with sales.

I'm excited for you! Your third book sounds interesting! I love a thrill or scare on Halloween. Good luck with everything :)

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks Yawatta! I have been studying other back cover blurbs in my genre. My problem is that I end up making them too long...then, when I try to cut it down, I obsess over which words to lose vs which words carry the most punch. *sigh*

I just hate constraints. LOL I'll get there....eventually....

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
cw, I feel your pain. I've spent nearly as long on that stupid blurb as I did on the first draft.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Glad for your progress. That means I'll get to feast my eyes on the next exit book soon. Very excited. You'll get there, my friend, and all will fall into place just in time. Write on!

PJanes

Registered
Reaction score
Right, the back cover blurb.

Not even close to having to do mine but I'm already dreading it, you got my sympathies.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
OH, I hadn't seen that thread. Thank you for posting it! A lot of good stuff there. :)

Ann, thank you! And yes...book 3 is on schedule for end of August, keeping fingers crossed that I don't hit any snags. Right now, I'm debating the title really hard. I may change it. I currently have it as Next Exit, Dead End, but two of my test readers have mentioned that it sounds final, like it is the final book in the series. It's not, so I don't want to give that impression with the title. My daughter came up with Next Exit, Dead Ahead and I am seriously considering that one. A lot to consider with the title...and I tend to obsess over the details, so I'm getting a little crazy over it. LOL

PJanes, thanks! I'm seriously pulling my hair out with this one.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
I did have one nasty little comment made to me this week, and I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this in their journey. I made a comment on my personal Facebook page about how I needed to get my next project started because I was miserable not writing. A friend of mine shocked me when she commented, “Or get a job.” She meant it as a joke, but I was taken aback by the general attitude that writing is not 'real' work. I know many people don't consider art important, but this kind of threw me for a loop...and made me question whether or not I was just being naïve and immature in thinking that writing can be a viable career. Do people look at writers the way they look at sports players? That we're just grown-ups still playing games? I know my siblings think of my writing that way, but I just assumed it was because I'm the baby and they still think of me as such. Anyone else run into this?

When I tell people I write I usually get a blank expression or a mumbled 'that's great' followed by a quick change of subject. Don't worry about what people think. The fact is there are just certain professions; writer, singer, actor, ball player that people just don't see as real work. That's simply the perception, and regardless of what the reality is that's how most see it.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
When I tell people I write I usually get a blank expression or a mumbled 'that's great' followed by a quick change of subject. Don't worry about what people think. The fact is there are just certain professions; writer, singer, actor, ball player that people just don't see as real work. That's simply the perception, and regardless of what the reality is that's how most see it.

This is why I tend to not mention that I'm a writer to people who don't already know. If it comes up in a natural way, or if they ask, then I'll talk about it.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm with the test readers that thought Next Exit, Dead End sounded like the last in the series. The titles of your 1st two are great, so I know you'll settle on one for the 3rd book that feels just right to you.

Last edited:

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I really like "Next Exit, Dead Ahead!" Great job daughter! And great job to you also. I'm on book two and am fluttering back and forth between, "Wow! I wrote this? Cool!" and "Oh my gosh, I wrote this. It's the worst thing ever." I don't even want to think about the blurb *cries*
I've been looking for a cover. I've check over 30 different ebook cover designer checking out the premades. I'm not seeing what I need and think I have to pay for one to be made. I'm not talented enough to make my own.

I hope it's okay that I am being chatty here on your thread. It's just nice to talk and commiserate with other self pubs.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Sunshine, of course you can be chatty on my thread! :)

I decided to go with Next Exit, Dead Ahead. I'm happy with it, and I really didn't want to give the impression that this is the last book. There are at least 3 more before the arc wraps up...maybe 4. I'm going to try to do it in 3.

I'm finishing up the last major edits now and then passing it onto my final proof-reader/editor/content analyst on Weds. She'll go through it make sure all the punctuation, phrasing, etc is good. It's looking good for being ready in August! Maybe I can release it on my 1 year anniversary of publishing the first one?? That would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.