Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
And another thread-split! This time for the discussion of self publishing and creative control, which you'll find here.

I'm on a roll this morning.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Wow! Thanks so much everyone! :Sun:

I know exactly what you mean about the control aspect of self-publishing. I felt like that, too. I also enjoy the responsibility. If something isn't working I can change it. I can come up with my own ways to tackle the problem, which is something I like doing. If I was trade-published I think I'd be a pest for an agent or publisher!

Exactly! While absolutely terrifying, this is the only way I can really imagine doing it at the moment. I'm not discounting anything different in the future, but for right now...I'm thoroughly enjoying myself!

And another thread-split! This time for the discussion of self publishing and creative control, which you'll find here.

I'm on a roll this morning.

Thanks, OH! That's a great thread!!

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread Clare, and I wish you continued success.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Well, the first full month with my baby out there is over. Whew! It was a little disappointing, but I have to keep reminding myself that this is an adventure first, a journey second, and a slooooow train coming. LOL

Couple thoughts and notes:

1) I really need to get better about talking about my book and posting on Twitter and Facebook. I hate hawking it. I feel like a used car salesman (no offense to any out there, but you know what I mean...) and never know quite what to tweet or post. “Buy my book!” Blah Blah Blah... Choke. Must work on that...

2) I also really need to get better at keeping my website maintained with weekly updates and blog posts. This is lacking strictly due to time constraints. There is a lot going on at the day job, and my nights and weekends have been filled with editing the sequel, Next Exit, Pay Toll! The beta readers have all returned it and no major changes! WOOT!! :D The manuscript is now with my cover artist, and hopefully I will have a cover soon! I just might make my goal of publishing the second book in the series by Christmas! However, this has been eating time...time I need to devote to my website. On a side note, I have a web designer re-designing the whole thing and the new site should be live next week sometime. Yay!!!

3) My print version sales are much higher than I expected! I really didn't expect to sell as many print copies as I have so far in ratio to the Kindle version. I find it interesting. I thought I was the only person left who still preferred a physical book. It's very encouraging to see that's not the case! I'll be interested to see if the ratio keeps up...

4) I ran a Goodread Giveaway for the month of September. In total, 361 people requested it, which I thought was pretty good for a totally unknown author who has done absolutely nothing to promote herself. It was fun and I'll do it again for the next book, even though it didn't seem to generate any sales. People looked at it and that means it got exposure, so to me, that is a win.

5) Our own Yawatta Hosby was kind enough to host me for an author interview! That was SO much fun and I thoroughly enjoyed!! Thanks to Yawatta for hosting! I included the link below if you want to check it out. :)

http://yawattahosby.wordpress.com/2...c-w-browning-author-of-next-exit-three-miles/

And that was my September. The sales were low and somewhat disappointing, but I am just starting out. I have to remind myself that this is a slow train and the fun is in the ride, not how fast I get there!

September Sales for Next Exit, Three Miles:

Kindle: 2
CreateSpace: 2
Hand Sold: 4
Total Sold: 8

August Total: 31

Which brings the Grand Total to: 39

Kindle: 24
Createspace: 10
Hand Sold: 5

C.R. Baker

Registered
Reaction score
I think your numbers look fine for a new unknown author. Have you gotten any reader feedback yet?

I think social media works well if you are just yourself. Post little funny bits about your life, tips that readers might enjoy, and talk about books you are reading too. I think your instincts are right, no one likes a used car salesman approach.

Kudos on your work so far!

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
I think your numbers look fine for a new unknown author. Have you gotten any reader feedback yet?

Thanks C.R.! All the feedback I have gotten from readers so far has been overwhelmingly positive. Most of it is from people I know, so those I do take with a grain of salt, but some of it has been from friends of co-workers who I've never met or laid eyes on and that has also been positive. They bought the book on the recommendation of co-workers who read and enjoyed it, and they contacted me to tell me how much they enjoyed. So that is very encouraging!

C.R. Baker

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks C.R.! All the feedback I have gotten from readers so far has been overwhelmingly positive. Most of it is from people I know, so those I do take with a grain of salt, but some of it has been from friends of co-workers who I've never met or laid eyes on and that has also been positive. They bought the book on the recommendation of co-workers who read and enjoyed it, and they contacted me to tell me how much they enjoyed. So that is very encouraging!

Agreed! That does sound encouraging. Onward and upward. :)

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
I can't believe it's November already! Where is this year going??

Things have been a little crazy the past month. I was laid off unexpectedly from my day job, so I am now frantically trying to find a job so that I can keep my apartment and pay my bills. Looking on the brighter side of this whole situation, I now have more time to write! And, I have been, shockingly enough. Even with all the worry and stress, I am still finding inspiration. Whew! Thank goodness, because I really think I would fall into the “depths of despair” if I didn't have my writing to distract me. It's very scary being unemployed in this economy. I am almost 100 pages into the third book of the series, and I am having an absolute BLAST writing it. It takes place the week of Halloween, so inspiration has been unending these past few weeks, and I am just so excited about how the story is developing.

I am also working hard on preparing the sequel to Three Miles, Next Exit, Pay Toll, for launch on December 1st!! Woohoo!!! I have an awesome cover and I'm so excited to release the sequel so soon after the first one!! (of course, it helps that it was already almost finished when I published 3 Miles) I'm hoping it will help bump sales, since October was pretty uneventful sales-wise. Whether it does help sales or not, I am just happy to be getting my next novel out there. I still can't believe I'm doing it. There are times I want to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming all this. The support and encouragement I've received here, and from family and friends, is just amazing.

I did decide to enroll Next Exit, Three Miles into Amazon's KDP Select. I haven't made it available anywhere other than Amazon yet, so I figured why not? I like the idea of their new promotion, the Kindle Countdown Deals, and I think I want to try taking advantage of that after I release Pay Toll in December. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that if you do the Countdown Deal, you can't do the Free Promo in the same enrollment period. So, I have to decide which one I think will be more beneficial to me.

Well, that's it for now. Here are my sales for October.

October Sales for Next Exit, Three Miles:

Kindle: 3
CreateSpace: 0
Hand Sold: 3
Total Sold: 6

Which brings the Grand Total to: 45

Kindle: 27
Createspace: 10
Hand Sold: 8

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're doing very well, CW. Great job on selling paper copies. I do far better with paper than I do with digital for some reason. Congrats on your sales and I'm enjoying reading about your progress.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your job - but hey, there is a positive in that you've so much more time to write. I hope the employment situation works itself out shortly.

Well done on your sales, esp the paperback. As Ann Joyce mentioned, they are hard to shift - I know :D

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a tough time, but congratulations on continuing to write. That's a healthy way to deal with stress. I doubt you'll ever regret it.

Nice numbers, too.

I really need to get better about talking about my book and posting on Twitter and Facebook. I hate hawking it. I feel like a used car salesman (no offense to any out there, but you know what I mean...) and never know quite what to tweet or post. “Buy my book!” Blah Blah Blah... Choke. Must work on that...

I've had the same reaction. Have you read Medievalist's sticky on How to promote your book like an intelligent human being and not an SEO Dweeb in the Book Promotion Ideas and Advice subforum? Good advice there.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks everyone! I'm surprised myself at how many paperbacks I've sold. Just goes to show that a lot of people still prefer hard copies! :) It IS hard though. I'm toying with the idea of having a book signing\holiday party for the second one in December. We'll see. It'll all depend on the job situation.

Pyekett, I did read that sticky, but it's been awhile now. I think I'll go back and read through it again. I remember there was some good stuff in there...

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tucked it away in a corner of the brain for future use. I'm allergic to coming off as a needy or pushy ass. Just ... no.

Self-promotion is a learned skill for sure. You will do fine.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
The past month has been absolutely insane. After losing my job, I could no longer afford my apartment and had to move unexpectedly. The whole month of November is a blur to me, but I made it through it. Unfortunately, not one word was written during the insanity. However, now that I am settled in my new temporary digs, I can get back to my writing. Thank GOD!!

Somehow, someway, in the middle of all the packing and moving, I did manage to finish editing and get my second novel ready for its December 1 release date! Woohoo! Don't ask me how I did it, but I did! Next Exit, Pay Toll, the sequel to Next Exit, 3 Miles, is now out there on Amazon!! Due to the unexpected speed with which Amazon got the CreateSpace edition my second book up, I do have 2 days of numbers for Pay Toll to add here. Yay! I am going to be running a Kindle Countdown on 3 Miles shortly and will add the updates here mid-month if they are noteworthy. :)

My sales for November were dismal, but I did have some, so I am trying not to despair. Given the insanity the past month, I will take every sale I can get! Here's hoping December is a better month...

November Sales for Next Exit, 3 Miles:

Kindle: 1
CreateSpace: 1
Hand Sold: 0
Total Sold: 2
Grand Total to: 47

November Sales for Next Exit, Pay Toll:

Kindle: n/a
CreateSpace: 3
Hand Sold: 0
Total Sold: 3

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the unexpected crisis! Glad you survived the experience.

My November sales dropped off as well, so you're not alone. I'm going to blame Thanksgiving. You pesky Americans. :D

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
You have a great attitude, cw. Glad you're moving along and will be interested to hear how your Kindle Countdown fares. Your sales might not be what you wish them to be yet, but there is forward motion. And you're definitely working on building your brand. Write on!

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
You have a great attitude, cw. Glad you're moving along and will be interested to hear how your Kindle Countdown fares. Your sales might not be what you wish them to be yet, but there is forward motion. And you're definitely working on building your brand. Write on!

Thanks Ann! I am trying! :) I'll keep everyone posted with the Kindle Countdown.

Thanks Merrihat! Parametric, you may be on to something there...LOL I'm OK blaming Thanksgiving for the drop in sales! ;)

PJanes

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, and thanks for the update.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Clare, I just noticed you are in the midst of doing the Kindle Countdown with Next Exit, 3 miles. I have been checking sporadically and was glad to see I hadn't missed it. I just bought it and am looking forward to reading it when I get into my next reading frenzy (probably Jan. or Feb. before I get time).

I'll be awaiting your report when you're done. I hope you get many sales from it and some new exposure.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Clare, I just noticed you are in the midst of doing the Kindle Countdown with Next Exit, 3 miles. I have been checking sporadically and was glad to see I hadn't missed it. I just bought it and am looking forward to reading it when I get into my next reading frenzy (probably Jan. or Feb. before I get time).

I'll be awaiting your report when you're done. I hope you get many sales from it and some new exposure.

Thanks so much Ann!! :) So far, not a ton of sales, but it's early days. I'm running the countdown for the full week and going up in increments. Today at 1pm, it goes up to $1.99. I'll definitely report back with results and thoughts when it's over! I hope you enjoy the book!

Status
Not open for further replies.