My Own Crazy Self-Publishing Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
After shamelessly lurking for over a year now, I decided a few months ago to make the blind leap off the cliff into the vast pool self-publishing. I can't even begin to express how much everyone here at the cooler has inspired me without even knowing they were doing so. I would like to share my adventure now, as I go, and try to give back some of what I have gained from everyone over the past year or so. I'm hoping that I can inspire and encourage someone else the way all of you have inspired me.

Quick background: While I have written several novels over the years, I never had the confidence to polish them and send them out into the world. The few people I did allow to read some of my early work tried to convince me to pursue writing seriously, but the confidence and courage just weren't there. About six years ago, however, I looked around at my life and realized that no matter what career I pursued, I wouldn't be happy or content because none of them were what I really loved doing. I love writing. And so, I sat down to draft a book with the sole intention that this would be The One. I wanted to create something that would appeal to a wide range of readers and something that I felt was current and marketable. March of last year, I finally finished it. I polished it. I edited it. I sent it to a few select readers to test it, and then I polished it some more.

Then, heart in throat and shaking like a leaf, I started sending out the query letters to the literary agents I thought would be the best fits. It was probably the hardest thing I had ever done up to that point. I expected rejections. I was prepared. And they came, one after another.

Conflict: In the meantime, I was also researching and reading about self-publishing versus trade publishing. I started weighing the pros and cons of each, and I really started to examine what I wanted from my career. What, exactly, were my goals? How would each road address those goals? What was important to me?

These were questions I asked myself while faithfully sending out query – synopsis – first 50 pages to the gatekeepers of the industry. These were questions I continued to ask myself as I received feedback (some helpful, some not) from the agents in the industry. In the end, those questions were what led me to the start of my adventure this past July.

Really, it all came down to control. I decided, in the end, I wasn't willing to give up even a little bit of the immense control that I have over my work through self-publishing. The catalyst was in June, when I received my last letter of feedback from an agent on a partial request of my manuscript. That agent enjoyed it, but wanted to see changes of A, B and C – all of which were key elements of the plot and character development. I felt the changes they wanted to see would take the passion right out of my story. I finished reading the email, sat back, and made my decision. It was the last week of June.

Decision: On July 3rd, I contacted an artist that I am lucky enough to know and asked if she would be willing to try cover art. With the holiday, I didn't expect to hear back for days. She answered on July 4th. Guess what? She loves doing cover art and would be thrilled to work with me on a cover. Wow. Ok. That was fast. I sent her the manuscript. A week later, I had the first draft of a cover that I LOVED.

Everything just fell into place after that. Everything. The cover, the formatting, the editing, even the head shot for Amazon...all just happened. A process I was fully expecting to take months was taking off at a pace I never expected and I published the Kindle edition of Next Exit, Three Miles on August 15. The CreateSpace POD went live on August 20.

Holy Moly, what a ride it has been! I have been so blessed and I can now say, this was the best decision I could have made for myself. Yes, I know the road is long. Yes, I know it will be very slow. And yes, I am already struggling with promotion and marketing. BUT I am loving every minute of this adventure. I truly am.

I've had a website for almost two years now, and that has been a great tool to chronicle the craziness and blog about anything that pops into my head. I have a Twitter account that, admittedly, has very few followers, and an author Facebook account. I also have a personal Facebook that I have had for years. And that, my friends, is the extent of my promotion and marketing. I work full-time in a very stressful job and this is all I can manage at the moment for promotional purposes. However, I think that these are the basics and a good start. Everyone says the best thing we can do is release the next book, and that is coming soon. While I spent a year and change trying to decide how to publish, I was busy working on the sequel. As a result, the second book is currently with the test readers and, barring any extensive re-writes, should be ready to start editing by October.

I know I have a VERY long road ahead, and any advise or suggestions are always welcome! We are all in this together and I hope that I can continue to learn from those who are ahead of me in this journey, and also reach out a hand to those behind me as well.

Sales: Now that you know about my adventure, here are the initial sales. I will post sales monthly, good or bad.

Next Exit, Three Miles

August: (15-end of month)

Kindle – 22
CreateSpace – 8
Hand-Sold – 1
Total – 31

September has slowed down. I've only sold 2 so far, 1 Kindle and 1 CreateSpace. Clearly, the initial rush has passed. I am running a Goodreads Giveaway this month, so we'll see what that brings. I've been blessed enough to have all 5-star reviews so far on Amazon, which is so surreal to me, so here's hoping the sales pick up again!!

iron9567

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats glad to see you make the big jump off of the cliff. Hope to see you make many more sales in the days to come.
thanks
iron

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your decision and on your sales. Best wishes for continued good luck! Keep us informed of your journey.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck CW! Congrats on your sales so far. I'm heading over to Goodreads to enter your giveaway :) If you ever want an author interview or do a guest post on my blog, just let me know

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks so much everyone! It's turning out to be such a fun ride so far! I'm looking forward to sharing it with you guys!

ACF - Thanks so much! :D Good luck with the Giveaway! ;)

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
CW, I'm impressed. Eight 5-star reviews? Wow.

Good luck on your adventure.Thirty-one sales in two weeks is a terrific start!

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'll ever jump on the E-Book bandwagon. It's just not for me. It strains my eyes and call me old fashioned, but it's really difficult for me to read and absorb a story off a screen. I'll be reading physical copies until the day I die. Along the way, if there's a book I really want to read but isn't available as a physical copy then I will begrudgingly read it on a screen. I really want to read Unteachable, written by an AW member, but I'm waiting on the print version.

Now, to not veer too far off topic, good luck cwbrowning, I'll be following your journey. Many of the reasons that I am choosing to self publish are similar to yours. Some people give self publishing a bad name and because of that, it can be harder for us to accomplish what we want to accomplish. Just keep the faith though. I believe through persistence, hard work and a little luck, anybody can succeed - trade or self published.

Last edited:

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks AnneGlynn! It is very, very humbling...and also very exciting! :)

K.B. - I agree with you on the physical copy feeling. I actually don't even own a Kindle, although now I suppose I'll have to buy one. I prefer hard-copies and always will. But I know many people do not, and so I am using both formats. What surprised me was that my print sales are roughly a third of the Kindle ones...I didn't expect that. I expected about a quarter of the sales would be hard copy, and those to family members who wanted a physical book!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of people just prefer them - even kids. I know a number of kids who love to read, were given kindles, and the kindles gather dust because the kids just prefer hard copies.

I'd think it's a good sign your sales are that many hard copies, as they're likely more expensive.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks AnneGlynn! It is very, very humbling...and also very exciting! :)

K.B. - I agree with you on the physical copy feeling. I actually don't even own a Kindle, although now I suppose I'll have to buy one. I prefer hard-copies and always will. But I know many people do not, and so I am using both formats. What surprised me was that my print sales are roughly a third of the Kindle ones...I didn't expect that. I expected about a quarter of the sales would be hard copy, and those to family members who wanted a physical book!

I'll definitely sell e-books, just not fond of reading them.

Again, good luck!

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Hello and welcome! :) You seem to be off to a great start, and I hope it only continues to get better. Good luck! :D

And I'm so with the others who like physical books. I have a kindle, and I don't mind e-books on that, but it's definitely the last resort. I use it when either (a) books are cheap or free, (b) something is coming out that I want and I started collecting it on my kindle, or (c) when I'm reviewing ARCs for my blog.

Physical books just feel more 'real'. I know that for me, personally, my book won't feel real or published until I hold it in my hands. Of course, all of the above is solely my opinion.

Last edited:

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your awesome first numbers, CW. Glad you decided to jump in. Looking forward to keeping tabs on your adventure!

RLMcKeown

The rambling bard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccamckeownwrites.com
Congrats on all your sales!

I like both physical books and ebooks, though I definitely prefer e-ink over tablet screens.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks Ann Joyce! I have been following your journey and love reading your updates!

Katallina, I won't lie. It was one of the best feelings in the world to hold the proof copy of my book. :D It was like a dream. It still kind of feels like a dream...I keep expecting someone to wake me up and tell me it's all over now!

Thanks RLMcKeown!

theshovelbum

Steady Diet Of Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to you! I've got Horton's Bend and The Shovel Bums on Kindle but my sales are hmmm how shall I say it.....slow:cry:

Best of luck on future sales! Dave

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck, CW!

I know exactly what you mean about the control aspect of self-publishing. I felt like that, too. I also enjoy the responsibility. If something isn't working I can change it. I can come up with my own ways to tackle the problem, which is something I like doing. If I was trade-published I think I'd be a pest for an agent or publisher!

Your reviews are great! I'd suggest focussing on getting more of them. Goodreads is a good start.

After you've gathered reviews you can think about promotions like Bookbub or Bookblast. :)

PJanes

Registered
Reaction score
Let me add my own well wishes, CW.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've split TalkingTalk's derail out into its own thread, and have copied a few posts so that they appear both in this thread and the derail. I think the new threads are coherent, but let me know if anyone spots a post in the wrong place, or something that's wrong.

I'm always interested in hearing from people who want full control over the publishing of their books.

I've heard the arguments that with trade publishing you give up creative control over your books, but it's just not true (and I don't think cwbrowning was suggesting that, so I won't go into lecture mode now). What many self publishers refer to, I think, is keeping creative control over their own publication, which is different and very important.

It's not something I'd necessarily relish: I've seen how much work it takes to just edit one book properly, and am overwhelmed by the idea of doing that while also doing all the other publishing stuff too, all while continuing to write other books; and I've worked as a packager, hiring in all the various people required to publish books well, and it was a very demanding job. It was also a very expensive process, albeit I was working with books which were very different to most of the ones I see talked about here (they were mostly non-fiction, highly illustrated, lavishly designed print editions).

You have my admiration. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.