When to nudge after acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Submitted to a magazine. I got a contract. Yay!

I sent the contract back after reading and filling it out, asking if there were any problems to contact me, etc.

Got the acknowledgment. Yay!

No payment yet....

Story is supposed to be out next month (around the first). It's September the 11, no corrections nor notes from the magazine editors.

Sooooo..... when to nudge to ask for the corrections? N00b on this end of the line...

Also, in the event that they don't publish by the date they said they would, that means I can submit elsewhere, right?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Check your contract. Sometimes it says, payment due upon publication or something like that. I had a contract where I got paid 30 days after publication.

You mention this is for a magazine. I don't know how long your story is, but nine times out of ten, (from what I remember, unless they changed it) they will edit it themselves. I've dealt with a lot of places and I've never experienced a whole exchange of editing for my short stories.

Again, read your contract. See what it says about editing too. Hopefully it will have that in there.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
No payment yet....

The piece (story? article?) has not been published yet, so I'm not surprised you've not yet been paid.

You'll probably be expected to invoice them after publication. Check your contract.

Story is supposed to be out next month (around the first). It's September the 11, no corrections nor notes from the magazine editors.
You might not get anything at all. They might just publish it as it is.

Sooooo..... when to nudge to ask for the corrections? N00b on this end of the line...
If it's meant to be out within a month and this is a print publication then it's probably gone to press already.

If it's an online publication then it's still cutting it fine. In your position I'd probably read through my contract and see if it gave any information about deadlines and if it didn't, I'd drop the editor a quick email.

Also, in the event that they don't publish by the date they said they would, that means I can submit elsewhere, right?
Wrong. It depends on your contract. Read it.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Publisher said they'd send corrections "soon" at last contact. They promised I'd be in the next issue of the magazine.

Online magazine, contract does not stipulate when the edits will come to me. Only the following:
The Publisher will make no major alterations to the content, title or theme of the Work without the Author's written consent. The Publisher reserves the right to make minor copy-editing changes to the Work to conform to the requirements of publication.
What is reasonable turn around time to expect edits?

Status
Not open for further replies.