The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Wilde City Press

Wilde City Press

http://www.wildecity.com/

Straight from their "about us"
    "Welcome to Wilde City, a metropolis of male fiction brimming with the best in Gay Male Romance, Gay Male Erotica and Gay Male Mainstream books; a place inhabited by the most talented writers in the industry whose page-turning tales will make you laugh, cry and beg for more!"
    They are a new gay and M/M press, looks to be established around September 2012. Their authors are recognizable names in the industry. But there is no submissions guidelines available, so I assume that means this is an exclusive, invite-only press at this time.

Anyone heard of them?

ETA: I received confirmation back that they are invite-only at the moment as they don't have the staff to open submissions. However, submissions may open as early as next summer.
    Last edited by c.m.n.; 09-05-2013 at 06:00 AM.
    WIP's series:
    Dragon's Shield: Waiting
    Warrior's Call: 33,000/45,000 (gotta get this DONE!)
    Oracle's Light: final edits
    Nightscapes: edits done
    Fool's Errand: editing
    Fire in the Skies: next in line
    Dark Knights: 35,000/?? (on hold)

Who let this guy in...? JohnnyGottaKeyboard's Avatar
    On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter grew too loud...
    So has anyone worked with them? Any idea of their track record?

~ Lambda Literary Award Finalist

"Best Gay Mystery 2015"

(I tweet, badly.)

Daydreaming Extraordinaire Fanatic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGottaKeyboard View Post
    So has anyone worked with them? Any idea of their track record?
    I have a novel published with them.

Since they're closed the only way to get in is to be referred by an existing author, IIRC, which is how I got them to check my work and thankfully the owner personally reviewed/read my novel and sent a contract in a few days.

First off - the entire staff is very friendly and helpful. I found working with my editor, Val, very easy and not at all stressful. She doesn't just edit the novel, she edits and provides comments/tips on why it needs to be changed and helps you become a better author. But if you have something that's a stylistic choice she respects that.

This is the cover they did for me (mine) and I was very pleased with it. They listened to what I wanted for my cover and made sure it was exactly what I wanted/envisioned for it.

Sales were pretty good at first (I was in the top 5 best selling action/adventure LGBT novels on Amazon for a good two or three weeks) before they tapered off. Sales would probably still be good if I can ever get around to finishing the sequel... :P

Now I do have one major critique. I don't believe they do so well with marketing it's like 75% on the author, but I believe that's fairly common for indie/small publishers. So essentially if you can market yourself, this publisher is good.
    Last edited by Fanatic_Dreamer; 06-14-2016 at 04:16 AM.
    My debut novel:
    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic64282_1.gif

Hmmm... I think I disagree. Captcha's Avatar
    And apparently they're now closing. Don't think they've said so on their website, but authors are posting about it.

That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    It was reported on The Passive Voice, and the verbiage that was quoted seems to indicate they're doing it right -- full payment of royalties and proper reversion to authors. Good on them, though most unfortunate. I hate to see any press close except maybe EC.
    WIP: "Seasons of Hope," 1356, Cornwall

Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST now available, Desert Breeze
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, releasing in April, Desert Breeze

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

Daydreaming Extraordinaire Fanatic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb Kinnard View Post
    It was reported on The Passive Voice, and the verbiage that was quoted seems to indicate they're doing it right -- full payment of royalties and proper reversion to authors. Good on them, though most unfortunate. I hate to see any press close except maybe EC.
    They're definitely doing it right. As previously stated I'm an author with them and their email was very informative, professional, and not shady in the slightest.

Without going into too much detail, they basically promised to pay all authors for royalties in full from now until they close their doors 100%. In addition, for books currently in edit they're going to be having their editors finish the current round of edits (at their cost) and then the manuscripts be sent back to the author. And they're also giving all authors ample amount of time to find different placements for their novels.

It's heartbreaking because Ethan/Geoff/co. are sweethearts.
    My debut novel:
    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic64282_1.gif