Historic to Sci Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

driedraspberry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but if I wanted to write a sci fi story inspired by a historic event, say Cleopatra and Mark Antony's love affair, how would it be appropriate to name. Can I use the names of the historic people? Can I use only the names of the Cleopatra and Mark but make up my own names for the other characters? Or is it best to keep the story but make up new names for everyone?

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
You can do whatever you want, so long as it's ancient history.

If it's modern history you should probably be careful not to defame anyone still alive or with descendants who might decide to sue you. Otherwise, go nuts.

The genre is "Alternate History" which is a branch of Science Fiction.

Vella

Is iníon léinn mé
Registered
Reaction score
This would be a form of historical fiction or alternate history, where people expect that you're going to name real people, and be historically accurate. Part of the draw for this genre is getting people to think about real history and explore the possibilities (fantastical/sci-fi elements included).

driedraspberry

Registered
Reaction score
Does alternative history apply to the case of a historic event (ancient, I promise) set in the future, like year 2165?

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
If it's just inspired by historic events. Name the characters as you want. One method is to uae names that allude to the historical.

Asimov based the original Foundation Trilogy on the fall of the
Roman Empire. He had a character named Bel Riose based on Belisarius.

Also you should probably correct the title of the thread.

autumnal

young fresh and cranky
Registered
Reaction score
Free license, baby ;)

driedraspberry

Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of using names that call back to the historic figures, but I'd be scared that if it's done too often it would get tiresome. I think I feel more inclined to go with the historic names (it works within the story) but the only examples of that I've come across have been in movies/tv, basically the modern Sherlock and the modern R&J/Hamlet adaptations, and I wasn't sure how acceptable it is in a novel set in the future.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Look. You can write intelligent white mice ruling the earth. A world where Rome never fell. Sherlock Holmes in modern London. Weather Wizards holding off the storms so Dunkirk can be evacuated.

This is fiction. Anything goes. Historic events. Fantasy. Mixtures thereof. You are limited only by your imagination.

Be cautious using works in copyright. (The Shining)
Be cautious using trademarked characters. (Mickey Mouse)
Be cautious using identifiable private people now living. (Your sister)

Other than that -- go wild.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.