• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Just My Best, Inc. / JMB Book Publishing Co.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
This is mean, but I can't help it. From the JMBPUB website:
WE ARE A BOOK PUBLISHING COMPANY
A book publishing company is a company that publishes books. A book publishing company would normally not publish newspapers or magazines. That is, if they were a true book publishing company. Some firms will publish books along with desktop items, like magazines, and newsletters. However, these firms would not be considered a dedicated book publishing company. If you have a manuscript that you want to publish into book form, you should verify that the publisher you are dealing with works for a true book publishing company that has experience in publishing books.

A grocery store is a store that sells groceries...

There is much more in this vein. To put it mildly, I don't see an abundance of professionalism here. Among its authors is the dreaded Victoria Taylor Murray, formerly of PA and fake Amazon reviews fame.

- Victoria

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Went to their web site. I'm in a hurry right now, but clicked on "INDEPENDENT SERVICES OFFERED BY JMBPUB"

"The author is expected to show their involvement in the success of their book by sharing the expenses (can be made in payments). Download the documents on the left and read them. The staff of Just My Best works closely with Authors during and after the production period."

It seems like they're saying the author will be paying for the book to be published. And it must be expensive, or why say "can be made in payments" ?

I'd look elsewhere. There are many reputable small presses where you don't pay a dime.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
victoriastrauss said:
This is mean, but I can't help it. From the JMBPUB website:

Yikes! This might be mean, too, but that quote from their website reminds me of some of the reports I wrote in grammar school. ("We went to the beach. It had lots of sand...") This is a great way to judge a potential publisher. Does their website sound professional, or do you expect the next line in their paragraphs to say something like "The sea water was salty..."? You would think a publisher would, ahem, have some better writing and editing staff on hand. Are they going to hire the same people to write the cover blurbs? Bad sign!

victoriastrauss said:
There is much more in this vein. To put it mildly, I don't see an abundance of professionalism here. Among its authors is the dreaded Victoria Taylor Murray, formerly of PA and fake Amazon reviews fame.
victoriastrauss said:
:Wha: You spoke The Name! :Wha:

Stuart Hades

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine has had a whole lot of hassles with these guys.

Avoid

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of hassles, Stuart? C'mon, dish! :cool:

(And my entry in the "this might be mean, but..." category is: Would you believe those "articles" are offered for sale?!)

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It is not mean to note that a publishing company that purports to work with authors to produce quality books has a web site with content that looks like it was written by a fifth grader, has terrible grammar, and doesn't explain up front that it requires its authors to pay to play. If you go to any other part of the site it is clear that JMB has changed its business plan and requires authors to pay to publish. If you want to be viewed as legitimate and professional, then be legitimate and professional. Sheesh.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Could someone spot me here ... where on their site do they list and/or sell the books they supposedly publish?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my Lord. "Everything's out of print except books by the 'publisher' and a family member!"

Yeah, that augurs well. But they're a book publishing company who publishes books, not those silly magazines and what-not.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Great, thanks. I knew I was missing something while pecking at such tiny links.

I didn't check all their "out of print" books, but of the ones I did (that I could find at all) some are coming up as pubbed Lulu, CreateSpace, etc.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site hasn't been updated since '09, and no further books published.