Anonymity and Legal Protection for a Memoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

fossie

Registered
Reaction score
The fact that you have already taken legal advice, and the advice is 'don't', suggests to me that this may not be viable.
Well, he actually just said something like, "It's not the safest path, and I wouldn't do it, but I understand why it's important. If you move forward with it, I should advise you to seek the maximum amount of anonymity."

In any case, I just had an interesting conversation with my attorney this morning. Apparently, last week, he actually did the leg work of calling around to some attorneys who work directly for publishers.

For anyone else who wants to know, the answer is mostly what one would expect:

• Many publishers have a typical submission process and are too busy to hassle with anything else.
  • Some publishers are attracted to the controversial, because they can reap the financial benefits of the controversial material and take on very little additional risk.
  • At least two of the people he talked to were very familiar with the idea of working through a trustee (or other intermediary) to protect the author. It is not common, but at least one of them had done it more than once for a publisher. An attorney with power-of-attorney, actually handles the whole thing and is immune to being forced to reveal the client's identity unless doing so would help prevent some future crime. (This is U.S. law, by the way.)
  • Everyone recommended working through an agent hired by the author's attorney and submitting portions of the manuscript that represent the work without exposing critical details. Once a publisher takes it on, all binding agreements can be made a number of ways, and there was no consensus on the "normal" way.
Cheers,
Fossie

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
[*]At least two of the people he talked to were very familiar with the idea of working through a trustee (or other intermediary) to protect the author. It is not common, but at least one of them had done it more than once for a publisher. An attorney with power-of-attorney, actually handles the whole thing and is immune to being forced to reveal the client's identity unless doing so would help prevent some future crime. (This is U.S. law, by the way.)

Hey, interesting. Who gets sued in the event of legal action - I mean, in the event that you wrote something that felt libellous to someone, would they sue the publisher? The attorney?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I worked closely with a person for 20 years and never knew the person's true identity. And, this was a close friend, believe it or not.

You and I are interacting, and I guarantee that you'll never know my identity.
It's not important whether "we" know your identity. You're just someone posting online, like the rest of us, and we don't need to know.

I presume you're posting through some Internet proxy or anonymizer, or better yet, through several of them chained together. If not, the Internet Protocol address (and of course the date and time, right there on your posts) you're using (this immediately tells one your ISP name, college campus name, company name or other entity you're using to get on the Internet) is being recorded by this site and everywhere else you go online, by the sites you go to, and likely by other entities in between.

If law enforcement wants this info, they only need a warrant for a "John Doe" to get it, and the ISP will cough up who "you" are, presuming you're not a chain of anonymizers. Also, in your first post you've basically admitted to knowledge of "substantial illicit activity."
Again, the question is not whether this is possible - the question was about how the industry deals with these sorts of situations.
After being burned by James Frey and a few other biographies that turned out to be substantially less than accurate, the industry is loathe to publish anything claiming to be factual that the publisher cannot very well verify. I presume trying to verify the stuff you're writing about would stir up a hornet's nest. Your only "industry" option (meaning you want a commercial book published, and you want to get paid for sales) is to publish as fiction. But still, if Teh Bad Guys see themselves in it, they may find you regardless of penname or what. Royalty payments have to go somewhere, and God help your agent if payments go to him or her to be distributed to you.

If you just want "the story" made available for anyone to read (with no payment coming to you), you could put it online as a webpage, perhaps using a Russian webhost that (depending on how you pay for hosting, etc.) would make it harder to trace back to you.

fossie

Registered
Reaction score
This isn't journalism - an author of a book is not a source.
Right, I think I mentioned that. However, there are cases such as when The Washington Post published an article written by an anonymous author disclosing details about national security letters in 2007. This is a close-enough parallel to the publisher-author relationship that I thought I would ask the question as to whether such a protection existed.
What you're suggesting is like if Woodward and Bernstein tried to remain anonymous and claimed themselves as anonymous sources.
I'm not suggesting anything. I'm asking. I've never been flogged so much for asking a question.
You can be subpoenaed; a house or agent who deals with you can be subpoenaed to reveal your identity, whereabouts, whatever, and they'll turn it right over. They're not journalists protecting you from exposure.
Well, I found out this morning that this isn't entirely true, though I would have assumed it pretty much as you describe. A carefully-structured agreement with a publisher will spell out the terms of such a disclosure. The reason for that is simple. If a publisher rolls over to a court order on a trivial or fabricated matter, and the publisher reveals potentially harmful details (such as the author's identity), and the matter is subsequently dismissed or otherwise determined to be without sufficient foundation, the damage is already done. Two of the attorneys (who work for publishers) whom my attorney spoke to last week, described that the publisher will agree to defend the author against certain sorts of actions, and the author agrees to protect that publisher against certain sorts of actions. The devil is in the details of that.
No one said no business is conducted anonymously; you asked about publishing.
Well, there is a difference between saying a thing can't be done, and saying that it is never or rarely done that way. You, and others, said that it couldn't be done. I was simply saying that, yes, it can be done, but that doesn't mean that it is done.

Turns out, yes, it is done - not commonly, but it is.

You seem to have discounted everyone and presumed no one knew what they were on about
I don't know why you believe that.
Old Hack would know if anyone has successfully published anonymously because OH has, as OH noted, been in publishing for decades.
I was being a little tongue-in-cheek to make a point. If a person published anonymously and really pulled it off, you wouldn't know. The publisher might not even know it. It's like saying, "I can't think of one time someone has lied to me and gotten away with it." You would only know about it if, ultimately, you discovered the lie.

It happens more often than you might imagine. It happens in just about every field. I can't see how the publishing industry would be unique in that it somehow never occurs.

In any case, that's tangential, and somehow this got sidetracked.

My question was really about how this sort of thing is typically managed, and I have my answer.

By the way, for anyone interested in more information on this, this is more on what I found out from my attorney. This is mostly just the underlying legal landscape, and it doesn't necessarily represent how it is actually done:

The freedom to publish anonymously is protected by the First Amendment (in the U.S.), and this has been upheld repeatedly. Now here's the kicker. A court actually can't force a publisher to reveal the identity, except in some circumstances, none of which would apply to my situation. However, that doesn't mean that the publisher won't roll over anyway because they don't want to hassle with it. (Which is why it is important to carefully structure that agreement.)

Now, the problem is more layered too. Shield laws exist in most U.S. states, but not federally. However, the Supreme Court has ruled that sources may sue journalists for unauthorized disclosure. As discussed, this journalist/source relationship is significantly different, but the difference actually works potentially in favor of the anonymous author.

In the case of journalism, the source's identity is known to the journalist and usually the editor. This is necessary for them to evaluate the credibility of the information. The question (often for courts) is whether the journalist or editor must divulge that information to the courts - and this is usually weighed against the situation on a case-by-case basis.

Whether a publisher "needs" to know the identity of the author is entirely up to publisher. There is nothing inherent to the publisher/author relationship that requires this. So, a publisher could avoid the discussion by agreeing to work through an intermediary. They could never reveal the identity because they don't know it. Problem solved.

Now, the strength of the anonymity lies in the integrity of the intermediary, and it isn't the publisher's problem.

When asked whether it is ever done this way, one attorney said that yes, occasionally it is, but the only way to navigate it practically is with a great agent. Most publishers just won't hassle with it unless someone represents the work exceptionally well and gets a publisher hooked.

Now, in my case, it was a publisher who told me that I should write the story in the first place. It was basically (and informally), "You write it, and I'll publish it." So, if that plays out, none of this will matter much. I won't have to approach a publisher cold, and at least one person there already knows who I am.

I'm sorry to ruffle your feathers, Cornflake. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Cheers,
Fossie

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you already have a publisher willing to do this knowing who you are, it seems moot? Because they will know who you are, and if ordered by the court they will have to disclose it.

Ultimately if the story is at all recognizable you and/or other people and/or the publisher and/or the proxy may end up in court regardless of what you do. If the story is fictionalized to the point of not being recognizable, you won't.

I don't think there is a way around that.

fossie

Registered
Reaction score
Who gets sued in the event of legal action - I mean, in the event that you wrote something that felt libellous to someone, would they sue the publisher? The attorney?
The intermediary only handles the arrangements and enters into agreements on behalf of the owner of the manuscript. I am assuming that the manuscript is owned by a third-party legal entity (either an individual trustee or business entity) who has no way of knowing the identity of its author. I've asked the same question and am awaiting a response from my attorney.

In the case of an individual trustee, for all business purposes, the trustee would represent himself/herself as the owner of the manuscript and would be the one who made the customary guarantees to the publisher (with regard to plagiarism, etc.) The publisher would not even, strictly speaking, need to know that the trustee was not the actual author - almost the same as if someone hired a ghost writer.

I'm not sure that's fair to the publisher (I'll have to think about that a bit), but it certainly could be done. And, this reinforces my point earlier that it is entirely possible that many people have successfully published with complete anonymity, but, as I pointed out, one wouldn't know. The publisher wouldn't necessarily know.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I'm not sure that's fair to the publisher (I'll have to think about that a bit), but it certainly could be done. And, this reinforces my point earlier that it is entirely possible that many people have successfully published with complete anonymity, but, as I pointed out, one wouldn't know. The publisher wouldn't necessarily know.

Well, theoretically that might work, but I am not sure it would in practice. Publishing is a relationship business. As an editor, it's fairly unusual to work with an author you never meet, never generate some kind of personal rapport with. I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of someone who is publishing some kind of spicy controversial memoir, and who isn't able to actually meet the author, but who doesn't see anything odd in that. Who can't arrange much in the way PR and marketing stuff, because the person a journalist will want to talk to is the person making spicy revelations. It'd be weird. I guess you could do a lot of stuff via pseudonymous email, but if I can't meet you, it's a red flag.

There's a great UK publishing house called Virago, which publishes - exclusively - fiction by women. They contracted a book in the 1980s by a young Muslim woman called Rahila Khan, whose short stories had been well received on Radio 4. This exciting young talent shied away somewhat from the spotlight, but Virago were keen to promote their book, and wanted to meet her. And it turned out she was a middle-aged Anglican vicar called Toby Forward.

They cancelled the contract. They loved the book - and I know Toby's work, he's an excellent writer - but they didn't really have an option. This wasn't even a memoir - it wasn't about lying about the past, it was fiction. But, however well-intentioned he might have been, he deceived them in several important ways, and they didn't want to be in business with him after that.

(I guess one could hire an actor to be the front. It'd fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but it wouldn't fool all of the people all of the time. Basically: please don't lie to your business partners, I'm sure it'll bite you in the ass at some point.)

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
I also have a hard time seeing a publisher take on a manuscript they can't verify. It not only discounts the writer's credibility, but also the publisher's. AND it's also naive when you consider the power and tenacity of human curiosity. I find your contradictions a little fishy anyway. What's the big anonymity argument for if the offering publisher has already met you? No matter how tightly you seal the vessel, there's already a leak.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
[*]Everyone recommended working through an agent hired by the author's attorney and submitting portions of the manuscript that represent the work without exposing critical details. Once a publisher takes it on, all binding agreements can be made a number of ways, and there was no consensus on the "normal" way.

Cheers,
Fossie

How would the atty acquire the agent for someone else?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Torgo (post 15). I was beginning to think I had completely misstated the question. This is exactly some of the information I was looking for.

Can anyone suggest agents and/or publishers who gravitate to this sort of material?

Cheers,
Fossie
Back in the day, G.P. Putnam's published Peter Maas' 'The Valachi Papers' and Simon and Schuster published Nicolas Pileggi's 'Wiseguy'. But neither author was apparently going for anonymity.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I worked closely with a person for 20 years and never knew the person's true identity. And, this was a close friend, believe it or not.

You and I are interacting, and I guarantee that you'll never know my identity. Again, the question is not whether this is possible - the question was about how the industry deals with these sorts of situations.

As I've worked in publishing for just a while, my response did answer your question: I gave you my own experience of this issue.

I've worked on a couple of books written by people who wanted to remain anonymous: as I said, their identities were always found out regardless of the complex attempts which were made to keep them hidden.

I've ghost-written a few more books which I'm not allowed to claim as my own, and although my involvement wasn't widely known, my name has been associated with those books. It's not a big deal for me, but it still wasn't what was wanted, either by the people who were named as the books' authors, or by the publishers; and this happened despite all sorts of things being put in place to prevent it.

That's pretty much what I expected to hear. I know and understand that publishers really aren't keen to accept unnecessary risk for an author. There's no reason for them to.

"I know and understand that publishers really aren't keen to accept unnecessary risk themselves" is probably more accurate.

But, in the case of journalism (which I understand is a very different sort of animal), there is some effort to protect sources. I fully understand that it is not the same sort of relationship, but wondered if there wasn't, in certain cases, something similar which is negotiated. I didn't expect there to be, but if you don't ask, you won't know.

I've worked mostly in non-fiction which is more closely related to journalism than fiction publishing, and I've worked on some very contentious books. We were concerned about the safety of the authors' sources on a couple of those books: but for the author, there was little we could do (I know this isn't precisely pertinent to the discussion, as the author wanted his name on the books, but still).

My take on it is that it is all or nothing. That is, if I can't go into it with complete anonymity, then there is no point in a pseudonym.

Agreed.

As a publisher (which I'm not, of course: I'm an editor), having seen how several books from authors who wanted to remain anonymous have played out, I would not be able to offer any guarantee of anonymity to any of my authors.

I would have to make clear that while I would take reasonable steps to protect their true identity, I would be unable to offer any guarantees that those steps would be effective.

I am not trying to conceal my identity from friends, family, and associates.

You really should.

Consider how J K Rowling was outed as the author of The Cuckoo's Calling.

I just don't want to be subpoenaed, since this puts me in the difficult position of deciding whether I want to be truthful or I want to protect some good people. And, a mere pseudonym won't prevent that conversation.

But, of course, you wouldn't necessarily know, would you? That is, how do you know whether or not you've been deceived? You only get to find that out when the deception has failed.

I see your point, but you aren't aware of the scope or depth of my experience here.

For example, you don't know which books I've worked on, how their authors were exposed, or what was at stake when they were exposed.

You aren't party to the conversations I had with other editors, publishers, and publishers' lawyers, regarding the books in question, before, during and after publication of certain titles. Many of those people did know of other cases where identities had been protected, and what the outcomes had been for those authors.

I'm concerned that I'm making it sound as though publishing is a hotbed of secrets and dangerous books: it isn't, of course. There aren't hundreds of such cases that I know of; but there are probably more than you realise.

Originally Posted by Old Hack
you just haven't liked the answers you've been given.
I'm not sure why you say that. It wasn't until Torga's post that anyone even began to answer what I was actually asking. The exception was the advice that it was impossible to deal with a publisher anonymously, which is false. It may be that publishers never work that way, but it is not because it is impossible (or even especially difficult).

I said it because that was the impression I got from your comments. I provided you with a brief explanation of my experience of such a situation, but you disputed my opinion. That's fine: you're entitled to do so. But don't now try to claim that I didn't give you an answer at all.

Since I am not the first person to have this sort of situation,

You're not.

there were really only two possible answers:

a) This is how these sorts of things typically work ...
b) I don't know.

I gave you an answer which corresponds to your point (a).

Right, I think I mentioned that. However, there are cases such as when The Washington Post published an article written by an anonymous author disclosing details about national security letters in 2007. This is a close-enough parallel to the publisher-author relationship that I thought I would ask the question as to whether such a protection existed.

You're not asking whether you can enjoy the protection news reporters extend to their sources, though, you're asking if you can publish a book while remaining anonymous. These two things are not parallel.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm asking. I've never been flogged so much for asking a question.

You're not being flogged, and it's melodramatic of you to suggest that you are.

If you think this discussion is bad, how do you think you'll feel if you publish your book against the advice of your attorney and your true identity is revealed?

Well, I found out this morning that this isn't entirely true, though I would have assumed it pretty much as you describe. A carefully-structured agreement with a publisher will spell out the terms of such a disclosure. The reason for that is simple. If a publisher rolls over to a court order on a trivial or fabricated matter, and the publisher reveals potentially harmful details (such as the author's identity), and the matter is subsequently dismissed or otherwise determined to be without sufficient foundation, the damage is already done. Two of the attorneys (who work for publishers) whom my attorney spoke to last week, described that the publisher will agree to defend the author against certain sorts of actions, and the author agrees to protect that publisher against certain sorts of actions. The devil is in the details of that.

Well, there is a difference between saying a thing can't be done, and saying that it is never or rarely done that way. You, and others, said that it couldn't be done. I was simply saying that, yes, it can be done, but that doesn't mean that it is done.

Turns out, yes, it is done - not commonly, but it is.

I don't know why you believe that.

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek to make a point. If a person published anonymously and really pulled it off, you wouldn't know. The publisher might not even know it. It's like saying, "I can't think of one time someone has lied to me and gotten away with it." You would only know about it if, ultimately, you discovered the lie.

It happens more often than you might imagine. It happens in just about every field. I can't see how the publishing industry would be unique in that it somehow never occurs.

In any case, that's tangential, and somehow this got sidetracked.

My question was really about how this sort of thing is typically managed, and I have my answer.

By the way, for anyone interested in more information on this, this is more on what I found out from my attorney. This is mostly just the underlying legal landscape, and it doesn't necessarily represent how it is actually done:

The freedom to publish anonymously is protected by the First Amendment (in the U.S.), and this has been upheld repeatedly. Now here's the kicker. A court actually can't force a publisher to reveal the identity, except in some circumstances, none of which would apply to my situation. However, that doesn't mean that the publisher won't roll over anyway because they don't want to hassle with it. (Which is why it is important to carefully structure that agreement.)

Now, the problem is more layered too. Shield laws exist in most U.S. states, but not federally. However, the Supreme Court has ruled that sources may sue journalists for unauthorized disclosure. As discussed, this journalist/source relationship is significantly different, but the difference actually works potentially in favor of the anonymous author.

In the case of journalism, the source's identity is known to the journalist and usually the editor. This is necessary for them to evaluate the credibility of the information. The question (often for courts) is whether the journalist or editor must divulge that information to the courts - and this is usually weighed against the situation on a case-by-case basis.

Whether a publisher "needs" to know the identity of the author is entirely up to publisher. There is nothing inherent to the publisher/author relationship that requires this. So, a publisher could avoid the discussion by agreeing to work through an intermediary. They could never reveal the identity because they don't know it. Problem solved.

Now, the strength of the anonymity lies in the integrity of the intermediary, and it isn't the publisher's problem.

When asked whether it is ever done this way, one attorney said that yes, occasionally it is, but the only way to navigate it practically is with a great agent. Most publishers just won't hassle with it unless someone represents the work exceptionally well and gets a publisher hooked.

Now, in my case, it was a publisher who told me that I should write the story in the first place. It was basically (and informally), "You write it, and I'll publish it." So, if that plays out, none of this will matter much. I won't have to approach a publisher cold, and at least one person there already knows who I am.

I'm sorry to ruffle your feathers, Cornflake. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Cheers,
Fossie

The intermediary only handles the arrangements and enters into agreements on behalf of the owner of the manuscript. I am assuming that the manuscript is owned by a third-party legal entity (either an individual trustee or business entity) who has no way of knowing the identity of its author. I've asked the same question and am awaiting a response from my attorney.

In the case of an individual trustee, for all business purposes, the trustee would represent himself/herself as the owner of the manuscript and would be the one who made the customary guarantees to the publisher (with regard to plagiarism, etc.) The publisher would not even, strictly speaking, need to know that the trustee was not the actual author - almost the same as if someone hired a ghost writer.

Well, he actually just said something like, "It's not the safest path, and I wouldn't do it, but I understand why it's important. If you move forward with it, I should advise you to seek the maximum amount of anonymity."

In any case, I just had an interesting conversation with my attorney this morning. Apparently, last week, he actually did the leg work of calling around to some attorneys who work directly for publishers.

For anyone else who wants to know, the answer is mostly what one would expect:

• Many publishers have a typical submission process and are too busy to hassle with anything else.
  • Some publishers are attracted to the controversial, because they can reap the financial benefits of the controversial material and take on very little additional risk.
  • At least two of the people he talked to were very familiar with the idea of working through a trustee (or other intermediary) to protect the author. It is not common, but at least one of them had done it more than once for a publisher. An attorney with power-of-attorney, actually handles the whole thing and is immune to being forced to reveal the client's identity unless doing so would help prevent some future crime. (This is U.S. law, by the way.)
  • Everyone recommended working through an agent hired by the author's attorney and submitting portions of the manuscript that represent the work without exposing critical details. Once a publisher takes it on, all binding agreements can be made a number of ways, and there was no consensus on the "normal" way.
Cheers,
Fossie

Fossie, are you a lawyer? Do you have any legal training? Do you have any sort of financial package in place which protects you from damages arising out of dishing out legal advice online which might be followed, and found lacking?

If not I strongly advise you to stop handing out legal advice like this. It's not appropriate, and it could land you in some very expensive trouble.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fossie

[*]Everyone recommended working through an agent hired by the author's attorney and submitting portions of the manuscript that represent the work without exposing critical details. Once a publisher takes it on, all binding agreements can be made a number of ways, and there was no consensus on the "normal" way.

Cheers,
Fossie

How would the atty acquire the agent for someone else?

Literary agents are reluctant to represent books which are submitted to them by third parties; and my betting is they would be reluctant to deal with attorneys in this way.

It might well be possible to find an agent who would work in this way if the book is good enough, or if the agent thinks they could sell it well enough; but most good agents have plenty of submissions for books which are far less complicated than this, which would probably seem far more attractive to them than working through an attorney to represent an author they don't know on a book which is likely to attract litigation.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Fossie you have received accurate advice in this thread from some publishing professionals.

I think we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.