• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Atria Publishing Group / Beyond Words / Strebor Books

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Beyond Words is into mind/body/spirit (non-fiction, children's and YA fiction)

I didn't see it on the AW list. (looked up both)

Atria is a division of Simon & Schuster

I was interested to see they have YA Fiction too (for those that are interested)

http://www.beyondword.com/about

Looks like they want snail subs, but on Publisher's Marketplace they have all the contacts for the acquisitions editors, so I don't know.

http://www.beyondword.com/about

Anybody deal with them?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone tried these guys since I posted it.
I'm not sure if they're non-responders or not.

Anything new on them ?

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
They seem to only really want agented submissions.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
"Thin Space" is one of their YA novels and it deals about a boy that lost his twin in a car accident. He goes through massive grief to the point he is in search of this "thin space" which is between the living and the dead. In the reviews some say it's "supernatural" and others are categorizing it as "paranormal." But I can't be for certain. It does sound like an amazing book though.

They deal with mind, body and spiritual works, so I'm guessing spirituality in some forms of the supernatural? It could work possibly.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
They are credible lol but maybe not the best line to submit to direct? Of all the Big Five publishers Simon and Shuster seem to be the only one that still hasn't really opened it's doors to unagented submissions for any line or imprint.
Even their digital only imprint Pocket Star appears to be agented only.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My agent just sold a three-book deal with Atria. I know the author of the deal (It's New Adult). They are both very happy. (-:

Tnw32

Registered
Reaction score
Strebor Books

Hi all! I wanted to know if anyone knew of the recent state of strebor books? It is an imprint of Simon and schuster. I see recent news about the founders woes with the IRS for tax problems. Is this company still active?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an article about the financial mess in the Washington Post.

I won't link to the publisher's website, as Google is giving me warnings that "this site may harm your computer."

I dunno - based just on these two bits of info, I'd give the place a wide berth until the dust settles.

Tnw32

Registered
Reaction score
Here's an article about the financial mess in the Washington Post.

I won't link to the publisher's website, as Google is giving me warnings that "this site may harm your computer."

I dunno - based just on these two bits of info, I'd give the place a wide berth until the dust settles.

That's how I felt as well. Thank you!!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Oooookay. Zane and I share the same lit agency. At least we did when I last checked some time ago. I hope my agent doesn't get any back-lash because of this, or any bad press. Sorry to see this, but Ms. Roberts has made a barrel of cash from her writing and let the taxes go, and apparently, she's been dodging the IRS since 2003. Not good.

tri

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
After reading the Washington Post article, all I can say is it's a darn shame Ms. Roberts couldn't obtain a savvy tax attorney, and make a quick cash settlement with Maryland and the Feds, or at least begin a repayment plan. I'm also surprised that Ms. Roberts didn't have a CPA to set her up with projected quarterlies, which is what most self-employed individuals, myself included, manage to do. When these entities get as far down the road as litigation, they are more likely as not to get what they ask in court.

Last edited:

Tnw32

Registered
Reaction score
So if she goes down, wouldn't the imprint suffer as well? I ask because I submitted to her before all of this went down and she recently asked for a full read. However, with all this going on, I'm auite hesitant to the point of a statue!