Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Atria Publishing Group / Beyond Words / Strebor Books

Atria Publishing Group / Beyond Words / Strebor Books

Beyond Words is into mind/body/spirit (non-fiction, children's and YA fiction)

I didn't see it on the AW list. (looked up both)

Atria is a division of Simon & Schuster

I was interested to see they have YA Fiction too (for those that are interested)

http://www.beyondword.com/about

Looks like they want snail subs, but on Publisher's Marketplace they have all the contacts for the acquisitions editors, so I don't know.

http://www.beyondword.com/about

Anybody deal with them?
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

I was wondering if anyone tried these guys since I posted it.
    I'm not sure if they're non-responders or not.

Anything new on them ?
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

paranormal erotic romance gingerwoman's Avatar
    They seem to only really want agented submissions.
    Last edited by gingerwoman; 10-07-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Paranormal Romance -Menage - Erotic Romance from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.

Read the blurb for Wicked Safari and buy it here.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
    http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

Yes, it looks like snail mail and agent only. Their Stranger Than Fiction topic title seems to suggest YA fiction, but it kind of looks like contemporary. I couldn't find any YA genre stuff, like SF, fantasy, distopian and others.

tri

"Thin Space" is one of their YA novels and it deals about a boy that lost his twin in a car accident. He goes through massive grief to the point he is in search of this "thin space" which is between the living and the dead. In the reviews some say it's "supernatural" and others are categorizing it as "paranormal." But I can't be for certain. It does sound like an amazing book though.

They deal with mind, body and spiritual works, so I'm guessing spirituality in some forms of the supernatural? It could work possibly.

I think it's safe to say Atria is credible.

paranormal erotic romance gingerwoman's Avatar
    They are credible lol but maybe not the best line to submit to direct? Of all the Big Five publishers Simon and Shuster seem to be the only one that still hasn't really opened it's doors to unagented submissions for any line or imprint.
    Even their digital only imprint Pocket Star appears to be agented only.
    Last edited by gingerwoman; 10-08-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Paranormal Romance -Menage - Erotic Romance from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.

Read the blurb for Wicked Safari and buy it here.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
    http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    My agent just sold a three-book deal with Atria. I know the author of the deal (It's New Adult). They are both very happy. (-:
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page if you're at all interested.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Exclamation Strebor Books

Hi all! I wanted to know if anyone knew of the recent state of strebor books? It is an imprint of Simon and schuster. I see recent news about the founders woes with the IRS for tax problems. Is this company still active?

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Here's an article about the financial mess in the Washington Post.

I won't link to the publisher's website, as Google is giving me warnings that "this site may harm your computer."

I dunno - based just on these two bits of info, I'd give the place a wide berth until the dust settles.
    KINGLET: Coming in August 2017 from Fiery Seas Publishing!
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmig View Post
    Here's an article about the financial mess in the Washington Post.

I won't link to the publisher's website, as Google is giving me warnings that "this site may harm your computer."

I dunno - based just on these two bits of info, I'd give the place a wide berth until the dust settles.
    That's how I felt as well. Thank you!!

Oooookay. Zane and I share the same lit agency. At least we did when I last checked some time ago. I hope my agent doesn't get any back-lash because of this, or any bad press. Sorry to see this, but Ms. Roberts has made a barrel of cash from her writing and let the taxes go, and apparently, she's been dodging the IRS since 2003. Not good.

tri

After reading the Washington Post article, all I can say is it's a darn shame Ms. Roberts couldn't obtain a savvy tax attorney, and make a quick cash settlement with Maryland and the Feds, or at least begin a repayment plan. I'm also surprised that Ms. Roberts didn't have a CPA to set her up with projected quarterlies, which is what most self-employed individuals, myself included, manage to do. When these entities get as far down the road as litigation, they are more likely as not to get what they ask in court.
    Last edited by Maddie; 02-27-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: gee, ah forgot some words!

So if she goes down, wouldn't the imprint suffer as well? I ask because I submitted to her before all of this went down and she recently asked for a full read. However, with all this going on, I'm auite hesitant to the point of a statue!

Sorry for any typos! I'm mobile