Highlights for Children Response Time

poodlesnoodles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, friends!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience writing for "Highlights" magazine? Normally when I submit work to "Highlights", I receive a rejection within one month (almost right on the dot). Well, now I am long over the two-month mark since I have submitted my poetry and have not received a response yet.

Does a longer response time mean some degree of interest in my work, or no? Has anyone ever been published in "Highlights"? How did they accept your work?

Thank you!

Waldo

Cracked the Story Code
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patrickhwaldron.blogspot.com
Yes, you might assume a longer response time means greater interest in your work. The downside is that more interest does not always equal more sales.

My philosophy is if there is no where else to send it, sit tight. I just finalized the edits for a submission I made to somewhere else in May. It took ten weeks to hear back from them. That was almost the entire summer.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
No news can be either good news or no news. It's possible the editor in charge of poetry has been away. It's also possible your work has moved on to committee or the next editor up in the chain of command. In either case, I wouldn't nudge until at least the four month mark. Long waits aren't unusual in publishing.

newhope

Registered
Reaction score
poodlesnoodles,
Did you ever get a response back from "Highlights" children's magazine? If so, was it an acceptance? How long did it eventually take before you heard back from them?