Drewski, trying to write

Drewski

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I am Drewski, I am trying to write my first novel and find it enjoyable when I get into it. I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest and at present have no job. Well there's a first time for everything I guess. (Long sad story). I am married to a wonderful woman who keeps me on the right path (Looking for work).

Anyway; My story is about a boy 14, who discovers he has an ability to hear a tree that talks and no one else can hear it. It is the adventures and happenings in his life.
This is more a youth book, but here's where I am a bit lost. I have a small amount of foul language like a couple F-bombs, so how young is this book allowed to be listed for?
I don't want a nine year old reading it, but I'm not sure a seventeen year old would find it interesting? Any ideas?

Thank you

Drewski

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not the person to answer you question about what words you can say at what reading level, but I'm the person who gets to welcome you first. Hi!

Maryn, with a good handshake

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Drewski.

The Pacific northwest is timber country, a wonderful place to write about talking trees.

I'll go out on a limb and wonder why a 14-year-old absolutely must drop the f-bomb--or a hundred-year-old tree for that matter. My guess is it wood have more words in its trunk.

But like Maryn, I'll leaf it to you.

Last edited:

tinker

Winging it!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Drewski!
I imagine you'll get plenty of advice if you post your question in the Writing For Kids thread. Good luck with your writing.
:welcome:

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Drewski welcome to the cooler glad to have you here

droonfang

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
That's a toughie...to me.
Many will question why someone that age needs to use that word...but I find it fairly true to form for many 14-yr-olds. I personally don't have a problem with the word...until it becomes every other word or is so gratuitous and unnecessary that it becomes irrelevant/ineffective. It's supposed to be a "shock bomb"...that's stupid when it's used too much.
MHO? Use it if you feel it's appropriate for your character, including if he's one of the aforementioned offenders (doesn't sound like that's what you intend) but include a language warning in your blurb, especially if you self-publish for kindle at Amazon. If you do that, no one has a right to hit you for bad language in a review (though that probably won't stop all).
I'd write it for the age group of your 14-yr-old. Readers generally like to identify with the protagonist. BTW, I'm over 60 and have read quite a few things intended for young audiences...and thoroughly enjoyed them, though I'm not generally into fantasy.
Good luck.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. The way you've described your story makes it sound like middle grade, but the f-word is not allowed in middle grade. You can get away with it in young adult, but I'm not sure your story is young adult. 14 is that awkward main character age that falls in between the two.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!