• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I need Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anacry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a tv pilot. And It's complete, at 39 pages. Except 39 is too short. So I need somebody willing to read it over, and give suggestions on how to bulk it up within a timely manner? I applied to a writing thing, and need an example of something original, which is part of why I'm writing this. But I need it done within the next few weeks.

It's fantasy/drama called "Guardian" and it's basically about Lilah, a rebellious teenager, who's mother has gone missing, and apparently connected to a string of supposed human sacrifices.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a tv pilot. And It's complete, at 39 pages. Except 39 is too short. So I need somebody willing to read it over, and give suggestions on how to bulk it up within a timely manner? I applied to a writing thing, and need an example of something original, which is part of why I'm writing this. But I need it done within the next few weeks.

It's fantasy/drama called "Guardian" and it's basically about Lilah, a rebellious teenager, who's mother has gone missing, and apparently connected to a string of supposed human sacrifices.

Is this a drama?

That's not short for a sitcom, so I'm guessing you're looking at an hour-long drama. Add a subplot or a running deal. I

Anacry

Registered
Reaction score

It's fantasy/drama, so yes, hour-long :) So it has to be closer to around 46 pages. And there is a lot going on, but I tend to write very fast-paced, and I got my husband to read it and he said that it just seemed like it got to the end really quickly. Which I'd like to attest to my amazing writing skills, but maybe it is a little too fast.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's fantasy/drama, so yes, hour-long :) So it has to be closer to around 46 pages. And there is a lot going on, but I tend to write very fast-paced, and I got my husband to read it and he said that it just seemed like it got to the end really quickly. Which I'd like to attest to my amazing writing skills, but maybe it is a little too fast.

Do you have your beats and acts correct and in the correct places for breaks? Do you have arcs rising and falling and rising again before your conclusion? Do you have an A and a B or just an A?

Anacry

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have your beats and acts correct and in the correct places for breaks? Do you have arcs rising and falling and rising again before your conclusion? Do you have an A and a B or just an A?

Beats and Act Breaks - yes - Four acts, plus teaser, each with a cliffhanger.
Rising and Falling - yes.

It's the pilot, so it's setting up a bunch of different plots.

There is the "human sacrifice" A-plot, which is the overarching main season plot - the main character (Lilah)'s mother has gone missing, her family dealing with her disappearance and she is found dead at the end.

There is a subplot of something weird happening to Lilah - She's being followed around by evil-type unearthly creatures. This plot ties eventually ties into her parentage, and where she's from and this odd sort of power she has.

And, since this is sort of a Vampire Diaries genre, there is another subplot of Lilah's boyfriend having an affair with her best friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.