Twisting real life symbols for use in fiction

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
For one of the stories I'm working on (science fiction/fantasy, set on a future earth where super heroes/villains once ran rampant), one of the villains is a gang leader who uses his powers to mentally control his gang members (he breaks their spirit, then essentially creates a link between them that allows him to "posses" them at will).

At the time being, the MC is stationed in South Africa, so I want the symbol the gang leader uses (it is magically created by his link) to be influenced by the surrounding area.

My current thought is to base the symbol on the "akoben" symbol, since it's been referenced for vigilance and loyalty (and could be twisted to references the villain's methods).

I'm thinking I want to change it though to suit the villain, possibly invert it or have the symbol on its side, or otherwise do something to change the overall idea of the symbol, so it's clear that he's doing things of his own accord, however, I was wondering if there are any problems I might run into by doing so.

For one, I was wondering if there were any other cultural implications regarding the akoben that I didn't see during my initial search phase, and if you have any suggestions in regards to twisting real life symbols (especially those normally seen in a positive light) to suit fictional stories.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
For one, I was wondering if there were any other cultural implications regarding the akoben that I didn't see during my initial search phase, and if you have any suggestions in regards to twisting real life symbols (especially those normally seen in a positive light) to suit fictional stories.

Given that no one knows what you've discovered during your initial search phase, this question is impossible to answer.

What exactly are you asking here? How is this research and not brainstorming?

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
My apologies, I probably shouldn't type up thread questions that late at night.

And if this isn't the right place, please let me know.

I guess the overall gist of the questions are:

1. Are there any things to keep in mind when using symbols found in real life for fictional purposes?

2. Is there anything the akoben symbol is known for other than being a symbol of loyalty, vigilance, and wariness (as well as being the symbol of a foundation)?

(Now that I think of it, maybe this would've been better suited in a different forum. The first part was general curiously, the second the question about research).

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Many symbols have the same basic structure. Take the Star of David vs the Merkaba.

If something isn't legally protected - like the Haida Gwaii's distinct 'eye' that appears in a lot of their artwork, or corporate brands - then it's probably fair game.

The bigger question is if you describe it as 'looking like the akoben symbol', whether or not your readers will have any idea what you're referring to.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Google searches found several site that tie this symbol to Ghana and West Africa, not to South Africa.

http://www.ghanamissions.com/ghanainfo/adinkra.html

I don't know the cultures enough to say that it would be wrong to use it that way. But the very little I do know about tribalism in Africa tells me that it would be less than ideal.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The thing to be aware of is that many symbols matter to people the same way that the names of certain things or people can matter to people.

Repurposing a symbol or altering a symbol to change its meaning can appear similar to insulting objects or individuals that matter to the people who use that symbol.

This doesn't mean one should not do it, but one should be aware that it might be taken this way.

In short, if you're going to go in, go in with your eyes open.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
The bigger question is if you describe it as 'looking like the akoben symbol', whether or not your readers will have any idea what you're referring to.

Indeed. I planned on having the MC describe what she saw, and when they encountered the group again, one of the secondary characters who's interested in research would find the information regarding it and be able to mention its origins.

Google searches found several site that tie this symbol to Ghana and West Africa, not to South Africa.

Right, I did see that, and I was considering that the villain would have potentially migrated from there to South Africa, and also considered the idea that over time (approximately 60 years in the future, alternate history), the symbols might have taken more popularity across a larger area.

But the very little I do know about tribalism in Africa tells me that it would be less than ideal.

That's the part I was wondering about. I suspected that the villain's actions would not be liked by much of anybody (hence the idea of twisting the symbol so that it didn't represent the same thing it originally did... I was thinking of how the swastika was originally a peaceful symbol that was twisted for other purposes). However, I still don't want to step on toes if I don't have to.

Repurposing a symbol or altering a symbol to change its meaning can appear similar to insulting objects or individuals that matter to the people who use that symbol.

This doesn't mean one should not do it, but one should be aware that it might be taken this way.

That's the other part I was concerned about. I don't want it to be taken as an insult, and I figured that if I did this, I would want to show that the other people in the story didn't approve of the villain's actions.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm almost wondering if it would be better to come up with an entirely different symbol, but based somewhat on the style of those symbols.

EDIT: The more I think about it (and I tried doing more reading on the surrounding areas), the more I'm thinking I want the villain to use a symbol that isn't currently in use, possibly one that is abstract and symbolizes something to him, but doesn't necessarily represent something clear. (For example, using geometric shapes rather than a clear image).

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You could always invent your own symbol.

This is a future world, right? Why not some sort of stylized telephone to suggest communication or symbolize the psychic link?

Or...

a few links of a chain plus a lightning bolt? Both crossed or interpenetrating like the hammer & sickle? To symbolize that people are bound to this guy but that it's not exactly a physical chain?

You don't need to help yourself to symbols that already have meaning to people when you're a writer who's going to create an entire world.

If you want the symbol you come up with to be intimidating, the trick is simple. Don't tell us that it's intimidating. Show us the characters in the story being intimidated by it.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Something to consider: since this is written, you'll probably want a symbol you can describe easily. "A circle with an X through it" is easy to describe; "A lopsided trapezoid with a funny kind of bump sticking down on one side with a squiggle in the middle that kind of twists around like a comma except upside-down" is not. :p

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
You could always invent your own symbol.

If you want the symbol you come up with to be intimidating, the trick is simple. Don't tell us that it's intimidating. Show us the characters in the story being intimidated by it.

I think I probably will create my own symbol, the more I think about it. Right now I'm honestly thinking (may change in a later draft) of having the symbol itself be a ripple in a pond, but the tattoo (being that it's magical) varies on the person. Since he uses people's fears to break them, I'm thinking that the tattoo will be a series of drawn scenes showing what they fear, all linked to the rippling pond at the back of their neck. It only shows when he's actively linked to them, but the MC should get an idea pretty quickly that this is not a good thing.

Something to consider: since this is written, you'll probably want a symbol you can describe easily. "A circle with an X through it" is easy to describe; "A lopsided trapezoid with a funny kind of bump sticking down on one side with a squiggle in the middle that kind of twists around like a comma except upside-down" is not. :p

Yeah, that was one thing I'd been trying to pay attention to (although I think I already broke that idea). I've had other symbols in the story that were made up entirely for the different factions, and one of them has been a bit tricky to explain.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I appreciate it. :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The closest thing to a useful answer that I can give is to say that very few people in this place (and presumably your target readership) know what an "akoben" symbol is. This is an important point. If you expect your readers to do research into your cultural symbol, you've already lost the writer's battle. I hit a term in a novel that the writer considers important, and I don't have clue one what it means, I immediately go for somebody else's novel to read. I'm not in the business of researching when I read fiction. I want to be engaged in the story. Anything that throws me out of that engagement is a disastrous error on the part of the writer, as far as my interaction with that writer's work will be.

Don't assume that a big population of readers out there will know what your mean when you invoke an obscure cultural reference. Hell, as I (and a couple of other people have) indicated, even your initial post was mystifying, on a straightforward communication level.

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think I probably will create my own symbol, the more I think about it. Right now I'm honestly thinking (may change in a later draft) of having the symbol itself be a ripple in a pond, but the tattoo (being that it's magical) varies on the person. Since he uses people's fears to break them, I'm thinking that the tattoo will be a series of drawn scenes showing what they fear, all linked to the rippling pond at the back of their neck. It only shows when he's actively linked to them, but the MC should get an idea pretty quickly that this is not a good thing.
I hope he doesn't have a lot of followers, because it's going to be a PITA tattooing (and describing) 'a series of drawn scenes showing what they fear'. Especially if the fears are hard to make tangible. 'Agoraphobia'. 'Loud noises'. 'Public humiliation'. Takes up a lot of space, and the iconography is probably going to be hard to describe.
For that matter, what does a tattoo of a rippling pond look like, and if you don't know what it is, how long will it take you to figure out?
I'd go with a breaking wave. You could do it simple or complex, just a hook shape, or the Japanese 'Big Wave'.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any symbol that creates an extreme sense of belonging, brotherhood, even mutual protection, can bend the purpose and reason of a large group of people. Think of the swastika to Hitler-period Germans, the shirt fabric colors to Crips and Bloods. Blind loyalty is easy for a dynamic and charismatic leader to bend into even obscene behaviors (note Charles Manson and the Manson "Family"). And in these various instances, the supernatural wasn't even necessary to trigger all sorts of human suffering and horror. Add some fictional supernatural inputs, and it is easy to take the real type of base psychology and go in any direction and depth you desire.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. The akoben is definitely West African but if you want something South African - even projected into the future - there are quite a lot of interesting tribal identifications you could play with.

What comes to mind immediately is the Zulu shield in front of crossed assegai (spear) and knobkerrie (round-headed stick) considered traditional weapons. Like this:

zulushield_zps38ccd4ff.jpg

You could maybe replace the spear and stick with something like an AK47 or some fearsome futuristic weapon.

Zulus also do intricate beadwork - each design has a specific meaning. (I'm just playing with ideas here.) :)

Last edited:

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I hope he doesn't have a lot of followers, because it's going to be a PITA tattooing (and describing) 'a series of drawn scenes showing what they fear'. Especially if the fears are hard to make tangible. 'Agoraphobia'. 'Loud noises'. 'Public humiliation'. Takes up a lot of space, and the iconography is probably going to be hard to describe.

Well, since the tattoo is magical, it's more for how they picture it, and not an actual tattooing process. But I do see what you mean.

The closest thing to a useful answer that I can give is to say that very few people in this place (and presumably your target readership) know what an "akoben" symbol is. This is an important point. If you expect your readers to do research into your cultural symbol, you've already lost the writer's battle.

I knew I would have to explain it if I did use it, but I think I'm going to steer away from it so that I have a little more creative freedom to work with, without causing potential toe-stepping.

GailD: Thanks for the ideas. At the moment I may move away from using an actual symbol that exists, but I'll keep those in mind as I get closer to narrowing down how I want the villain to work. (And I do like the idea of having an AK-47 instead of the spear). :)

Any symbol that creates an extreme sense of belonging, brotherhood, even mutual protection, can bend the purpose and reason of a large group of people. ... Add some fictional supernatural inputs, and it is easy to take the real type of base psychology and go in any direction and depth you desire.

It's definitely something I want to play with for this particular villain.

Thanks for the input, everybody. :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
GailD: Thanks for the ideas. At the moment I may move away from using an actual symbol that exists, but I'll keep those in mind as I get closer to narrowing down how I want the villain to work. (And I do like the idea of having an AK-47 instead of the spear). :)
For what it's worth, once on an episode of one of the 'Antiques Roadshows' there was a tribal rug, I think from Afghanistan, that had a traditional design, which had been updated with a pattern of AK-47's and helicopters woven in.
So changing out the spear for an AK-47 makes perfect sense.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
For what it's worth, once on an episode of one of the 'Antiques Roadshows' there was a tribal rug, I think from Afghanistan, that had a traditional design, which had been updated with a pattern of AK-47's and helicopters woven in.
So changing out the spear for an AK-47 makes perfect sense.

Interesting, I don't think I would have thought of that.