• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Redhead Magazine

KrystenH

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Redhead Magazine? They approached me on Figment (that I haven't been on or updated in MONTHS) to submit a short. Want to get information first.

http://http://redheadmagazine.weebly.com/index.html

That is their website. No information on editors, that is what gave me pause. As much as I would like to submit something to an e-zine (experience!) have to do my research.

Thanks!

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of them.

However, they don't pay for stories. Their excuse:

Payment: None. Due to the fact that all our content is free to read.
Daily Science Fiction pays *pro rates*, but the stories are free to read. They sell anthologies and, I think, have a Kickstarter campaign going to raise pay-the-authors money.

I'd start at the top and work my way down. Why not? If a pro market like DSF says "Yes," I get that sweet, sweet writing money and a bunch of readers. If they all say "No," I still have plenty of other markets to consider.

KrystenH

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not well versed with online magazine so I don't know the 'Dos and Don'ts' very well.

Like I said, they approached ME, not the other way around. I don't know if that is odd or not.

Any advice would be helpful.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Why would you be writing for a magazine that doesn't pay, takes print publication rights, and announces that with the stylistic equivalent of a dismissive shrug? "after it's been put up on the website, we can stick it in a printed book or make it into a podcast (if your story becomes our choice story for that year), as long as we give you credit."

*scratches head*

What is in it for you besides exposure in a magazine you've never heard of? (I mean, they're just sticking it up on a free Weebly website. Nothing prevents you from doing the same.)

KrystenH

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm not well versed with online magazines, so I don't know what is what. I think I will just continue ignoring them...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No further activity.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's already been said. 'Exposure' is only good from markets that have significant reputation and industry presence - and most of those will pay.

I love Hillbilly Hellcats' "I Hate Music", particularly this passage:

Hillbilly Hellcats' 'I Hate Music' said:
And you're makin' a CD to hit the big time
But you better sell a million if you wanna see a dime
And at least it's exposure - that's what they say
But you can die of exposure in less than a day

"Exposure" isn't good if it doesn't lead eventually to what you want. If what you want is only for others to read your work, go ahead. If you want to be paid for it too, publishers that pay nothing don't seem like a great thing?

Last edited: