AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Redhead Magazine

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin KrystenH's Avatar

Redhead Magazine

Has anyone heard of Redhead Magazine? They approached me on Figment (that I haven't been on or updated in MONTHS) to submit a short. Want to get information first.

http://http://redheadmagazine.weebly.com/index.html

That is their website. No information on editors, that is what gave me pause. As much as I would like to submit something to an e-zine (experience!) have to do my research.

Thanks!

Just Another Transman Chris1981's Avatar
    Never heard of them.

However, they don't pay for stories. Their excuse:

Payment: None. Due to the fact that all our content is free to read.
    Daily Science Fiction pays *pro rates*, but the stories are free to read. They sell anthologies and, I think, have a Kickstarter campaign going to raise pay-the-authors money.

I'd start at the top and work my way down. Why not? If a pro market like DSF says "Yes," I get that sweet, sweet writing money and a bunch of readers. If they all say "No," I still have plenty of other markets to consider.

Yeah, I'm not well versed with online magazine so I don't know the 'Dos and Don'ts' very well.

Like I said, they approached ME, not the other way around. I don't know if that is odd or not.

Any advice would be helpful.

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. Torgo's Avatar
    Why would you be writing for a magazine that doesn't pay, takes print publication rights, and announces that with the stylistic equivalent of a dismissive shrug? "after it's been put up on the website, we can stick it in a printed book or make it into a podcast (if your story becomes our choice story for that year), as long as we give you credit."

*scratches head*

What is in it for you besides exposure in a magazine you've never heard of? (I mean, they're just sticking it up on a free Weebly website. Nothing prevents you from doing the same.)

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    They have zero pagerank.
    Emily Veinglory

What's already been said. 'Exposure' is only good from markets that have significant reputation and industry presence - and most of those will pay.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Thanks everyone. I'm not well versed with online magazines, so I don't know what is what. I think I will just continue ignoring them...

Depending on the kinds/lengths of stories you write, there's a lot out there.
    I've given up on Duotrope since they went subscription model, but you can find most pro, semi-pro, and smaller markets listed on www.ralan.com.

Happy hunting.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No further activity.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Pie aren't squared, pie are round! Introversion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    What's already been said. 'Exposure' is only good from markets that have significant reputation and industry presence - and most of those will pay.
    I love Hillbilly Hellcats' "I Hate Music", particularly this passage:

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Hellcats' 'I Hate Music'
    And you're makin' a CD to hit the big time
    But you better sell a million if you wanna see a dime
    And at least it's exposure - that's what they say
    But you can die of exposure in less than a day
    "Exposure" isn't good if it doesn't lead eventually to what you want. If what you want is only for others to read your work, go ahead. If you want to be paid for it too, publishers that pay nothing don't seem like a great thing?
    Last edited by Introversion; 05-18-2016 at 08:37 PM.