• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Necro Publications / Bedlam Press

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
They seemed professional enough when I dealt with them. They responded promptly to a query and rejected after receiving the full manuscript, giving a brief but personal rejection that showed he had actually read it.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Yes, they are a legitimate and have been around for quite some time. They tend toward the publication of extreme horror though, rather than the average type of horror published by the bigger presses. I know several of their authors personally and they've always seemed happy with Necro.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I think they're expanding their scope, with Bedlam Press imprint taking science fiction and fantasy and stuff. Says so in the submissions page, at least.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Necro are the main publishers of Edward Lee, who is a horror legend for the last 20 years, and makes a living through writing alone. It would appear that they're doing something right, to enable him to concentrate on writing, instead of flipping burgers. Advances or just royalties - no idea. Probably low advances and high royalties and good marketing, but that's just guesswork. Or maybe only Big Names get advances--also possible. Intuitively I place them in the category of Darkfuse - flat rate advance, and then aggressive marketing to pre-existing markets.

Last edited:

blue_aura12

Registered
Reaction score
my personal feelings about Edward Lee's books aside, when i saw that they have him i was like "oh shit, this place looks like a big deal" ... i was kinda confused, though, since they're also marketing books by John Everson who is with Samhain (the place i just got rejected by) dunno how that works

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Samhain also publish Ramsey Campbell, but are not his main publisher. Perhaps Samhain's horror imprint is reputable enough for people to give them rights for older stuff, shorter stuff, or electronic rights which they retained - stuff which is difficult for them for one reason or other to make into instant real money, so they choose to have it generate long-term royalties instead. Samhain are good at selling e-books, they get additional legitimacy from famous authors in the process, everyone is happy.
But I doubt Samhain are the main publisher of any star author not in the romance business. Perhaps in the future, when their horror imprint starts offering advances, or just starts selling super-many copies, they will have generated home-grown international horror stars. Why not?
On the other hand maybe it's just a case of different books being better suited for different publishers. I have seven books out with seven separate publishers and I don't see that changing soon...

Last edited:

truantoranje

Registered
Reaction score
Necro/Bedlam also has a YA/MG imprint called Little Devil Books where my novel was recently accepted. They are legit.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Bedlam looks ideal for what I write, thanks for the heads up as I'd never heard of them.

WilRadcliffe

Registered
Reaction score
I just signed with Necro Publications for my dark fantasy/horror novel, The Whisper King.

It will most likely be hitting book shelves this summer. Very excited.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Can anyone actually give any details on working with this publisher? They have a page where they give basic details, and state they're closed to submissions until May 1st, but there's no way to know if the rest of the details there are current, as one of the paragraphs below mentions it being 2012.