Ask Pam van Hylckama Vlieg:

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
The Hook - logline
The Book - A paragraph or two about your book
The Cook - a bit about you

That's it. One page, try not to make the agent scroll ;)

I like how you nailed that! :)

And thanks for all the replies.

Cheryl Mackie

Striving for greatness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cherriemack.com
I don't think the word count is so low you may not get bites. For me I'm only accepting NA in contemporary because that's all that is selling. I'd reach out and see how folks respond to it. It may not be a bad idea to submit to some publishers like Carina.

Thanks so much for your insight. I will try a few agents first. =)

NDoyle

Writer, Editor, Photographer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
Hello, Pam! Like everyone else, I'm so grateful that you're sacrificing some of your time to share your insights with us!

Here is my situation:

I'm a published writer, but all of my publications have been short-form (fiction and nonfiction). The only books to have my byline are anthologies I've edited.

Because I've been writing for so long (my first story appeared in Realms of Fantasy in 1995), I have an accumulation of book-length manuscripts either completed or in progress--all unpublished. Those completed include several picture books and a YA historical fantasy. Far along in progress (or in revision) are a MG historical novel and a Victorianesque fantasy novel (adult). Other books (fiction & nonfiction, for adult and children) exist in various other stages of development.

With this range of work, what do you suggest my strategy should be when looking for an agent? Very few agents cover such a broad spectrum. I always query with a specific work, of course, but in the back of my mind is everything else. And I have possibly run out of agents who are likely to be able to represent the broadest extent of my work.

Should I be now querying agents who specialize in--for example--YA, knowing that any relationship would last only for sale of the YA novel, even though my next completed novel is almost certain to be the non-YA "Victorianesque," at which point we'd have to part ways? (And I'd assume that the picture books would, meanwhile, be "trunked," if she isn't interested in them. So many children's book publishers are no longer open to unsolicited mss that it's more difficult than it used to be for a writer to submit these!)

Or, as another example, do I try to sign with an agent who specializes in books for younger children--querying with a picture book--and let the YA and adult novels "sit" while my hypothetical picture-book career runs its course?

Or is there some other strategy?

I've tended to think of an agent as a long-term business partner with whom I'd be building my career. Should I be thinking more ephemerally?

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Hello, Pam! Like everyone else, I'm so grateful that you're sacrificing some of your time to share your insights with us!

Here is my situation:

I'm a published writer, but all of my publications have been short-form (fiction and nonfiction). The only books to have my byline are anthologies I've edited.

Because I've been writing for so long (my first story appeared in Realms of Fantasy in 1995), I have an accumulation of book-length manuscripts either completed or in progress--all unpublished. Those completed include several picture books and a YA historical fantasy. Far along in progress (or in revision) are a MG historical novel and a Victorianesque fantasy novel (adult). Other books (fiction & nonfiction, for adult and children) exist in various other stages of development.

With this range of work, what do you suggest my strategy should be when looking for an agent? Very few agents cover such a broad spectrum. I always query with a specific work, of course, but in the back of my mind is everything else. And I have possibly run out of agents who are likely to be able to represent the broadest extent of my work.

Should I be now querying agents who specialize in--for example--YA, knowing that any relationship would last only for sale of the YA novel, even though my next completed novel is almost certain to be the non-YA "Victorianesque," at which point we'd have to part ways? (And I'd assume that the picture books would, meanwhile, be "trunked," if she isn't interested in them. So many children's book publishers are no longer open to unsolicited mss that it's more difficult than it used to be for a writer to submit these!)

Or, as another example, do I try to sign with an agent who specializes in books for younger children--querying with a picture book--and let the YA and adult novels "sit" while my hypothetical picture-book career runs its course?

Or is there some other strategy?

I've tended to think of an agent as a long-term business partner with whom I'd be building my career. Should I be thinking more ephemerally?

I'd look at agencies as a whole. For example, if I sign a YA, and my client writes a wonderous picture book, Danielle will rep it, then if that same client writes and adult thriller and it's awesome Laurie will rep it, and then if a non-fiction came to be Gordon would rep it given it was awesome and had platform and all that fancy stuffs.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Random, hopefully fun, question. When you read published books, do you ever find yourself mentally rejecting them? I have to imagine it's hard to keep the two roles completely separate.

Last edited:

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Random, hopefully fun, question. When you read published books, do you ever find yourself mentally rejecting them? I have to imagine it's hard to keep the two roles completely separate.

Not very often! Honestly I'm very good at separating. I generally read for entertainment. So if I'm entertained it is fine :).

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Not very often! Honestly I'm very good at separating. I generally read for entertainment. So if I'm entertained it is fine :).

I think this is the same with a writer and reading the works of other authors. You have to turn off the writer and inner editor mode, and just enjoy the novel for what it brings to you as a reader.

Of course, sometimes that is easier said than done.

NDoyle

Writer, Editor, Photographer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
Thank you for your speedy reply, Pam! I had wondered about that and am glad to know that it's is a viable option!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I think this is the same with a writer and reading the works of other authors. You have to turn off the writer and inner editor mode, and just enjoy the novel for what it brings to you as a reader.

Of course, sometimes that is easier said than done.

I think there's two sides to this. There's a lot to learn from reading, including by taking a critical look at what's out there. But I agree you need to also be able to see it as a reader.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
No doubt that as a writer, it pays to read and analyze the works of others, if only to see how they craft their work. But that does not mean the way one writer does it, works for another writer. Just like one POV style may not work in all a writers work.

Still, the majority of the time, I just read for entertainment.

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait to see it expand. But as of right now none of the bought by trade or self published NA that isn't realistic contemporary isn't selling.

Thank you for this. My current WIP is a NA historical fantasy but I wonder now if I should age it down (and tone it down) and write it YA historical fantasy. Or write it as adult, since the MC is 20.

Do you see NA expanding beyond contemporary in the next six to eight months?

Last edited:

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Thank you for this. My current WIP is a NA historical fantasy but I wonder now if I should age it down (and tone it down) and write it YA historical fantasy. Or write it as adult, since the MC is 20.

Do you see NA expanding beyond contemporary in the next six to eight months?

I sure hope NA spreads out but right now there's no evidence that it will. But it could, at any moment!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I say that and I do remember every query. Photographic memory ;). The protocol is to say it has been revised significantly so this is a requery.

In that case, is it better to start the query letter with "I queried you with an earlier version of this MS, but it has since undergone significant revisions based on feedback from other agents." And then have the rest of the query letter as normal?

(I have made significant changes to my MS and have been requerying the folks who were initially non-responders, but might go back to some of those who sent a rejection on the previous query. I'm trying to figure out if I should stick with the initial query which brought fairly good results or move on to the second query letter - written since the revisions with a tighter format.)

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
In that case, is it better to start the query letter with "I queried you with an earlier version of this MS, but it has since undergone significant revisions based on feedback from other agents." And then have the rest of the query letter as normal?

(I have made significant changes to my MS and have been requerying the folks who were initially non-responders, but might go back to some of those who sent a rejection on the previous query. I'm trying to figure out if I should stick with the initial query which brought fairly good results or move on to the second query letter - written since the revisions with a tighter format.)

Yes that's the perfect way to do it and stick with the initial query if it gave good response.

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
Is "Low YA" a thing? My WIP has a younger voice than most YA but the protagonist is in high school. I would compare it to the Percy Jackson books in tone but with a romance subplot playing a more important role. I know that Percy Jackson falls into MG most of the time. Do you think I would be better off calling it low YA? Just YA? Upper MG? Thanks for answering all of our questions!

I'm going to be a twink and bump my own question. Totally cool if you don't feel like answering it, I just didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle. Thanks!

KVL

Registered
Reaction score
London, but I left my heart in San Francisco
Is there a word limit on what you might represent? For example if one of your authors writes novellas or short stories in addition to longer works, would you sell those or would the author?

Thanks for answering so many questions! This thread has been a great read :)

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Is there a word limit on what you might represent? For example if one of your authors writes novellas or short stories in addition to longer works, would you sell those or would the author?

Thanks for answering so many questions! This thread has been a great read :)

Depends per client and per work :). I won't rule out anything.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Thanks for this, Pam. :)

When signing with an agent, are there any particular things to be aware of, or is the contract usually pretty straightforward?

(Not in this position yet, but I live in hope! :D)

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Thanks for this, Pam. :)

When signing with an agent, are there any particular things to be aware of, or is the contract usually pretty straightforward?

(Not in this position yet, but I live in hope! :D)

The agreement should be easily readable and negotiable to some degree.