Not open for further replies.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Maybe off topic? But I’ve broken down and decided to replace my just-the-basics cell phone with a smart phone. Recommendations?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
iPhone ftw. Even a 4 or 4S model is still good right now (but maybe not as good for the long term). I at least have given up plans to get a 5 this year because it's not worth the upgrade.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
What do you want it to do, besides making phone calls?

If you like a phone that does its job right out of the box and you don't want to spend much time on it, an iPhone is a good choice.

If you like to customize and would like a potentially really powerful little computer, you might consider one running Android. Here the Galaxy S4 or the HTC One are about the best you can buy right now. The Nexus 4 is cheaper, but somewhat lower-specced, but as it runs pure Android it's a tinkerer's dream (also gets the newest software updates first). I'm an Android nerd and I love my Nexus 4 because I can spend hours fiddling with it.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you want a smartphone? What do you usually do on your computer and the internet?

Maybe off topic? But I’ve broken down and decided to replace my just-the-basics cell phone with a smart phone. Recommendations?

iPhone 5 or wait until September 10 for the iPhone 5s or possible (and likely) iPhone 5c. Stay away from Windows Phone and Blackberry.

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Alex, the Samsung S4 is the front runner at this moment. But I wonder if the S3 or even the S2 might be just as good for someone who's only beginning to explore what a smart phone can do that I might need.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
If you're not that interested in the latest and greatest specs, both are good phones. Samsung is notorious for being very slow with OS updates, though.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, the Samsung S4 is the front runner at this moment. But I wonder if the S3 or even the S2 might be just as good for someone who's only beginning to explore what a smart phone can do that I might need.

A note. I have an S3. I have hands which have been described as large by various women. The S3 is hard for me to use. If I were to get another Android smartphone, it would be the HTC One Mini.

Make sure to use the phone (typing, texting, general clicking and scrolling around, using the notification area from the top bar) to see if the size is a fit for you. Those for who it is too big, tend to go for the Note line (since if you're going to use two hands, you might as well have a phablet).

Good luck.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I just went through the same thing. I couldn't decide between android and the iPhone5. I think the basic thing is that if you're a true computer geek you might want to go with the android. But the iPhone can do just about anything you want and is pretty easy to learn and easy to use.

I've had my iPhone for exactly 3 days now, and I've already set up my email, taken pictures with the camera and sent them to people I know, and am now using it to post here on AW using the voice recognition feature.

Plus, the way the iPhone feels in your hand is elegant, compared to the clunky android. You do have to get some kind of protective case, which makes the iPhone feel a bit clunky, but you can also get a simple bumper that goes around the iPhone and gives you at least some protection while retaining the great feel the phone.

I am sold on it.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Read reviews. Go to the stores and play with live models. Do the things you'll be doing with your phone. Type out text messages on the virtual keyboards. Open and close apps.

But even doing all that, you can still get stuck with a phone that has a quirk you didn't notice until you had to live with it 24/7.

I liked my iPhone but the virtual keyboard is just a tad too small and makes typing, for me at least, an exercise in frustration. So I'm ditching the iPhone.

One thing to consider, what type of computer do you have? If you already have an Apple, then it makes sense to keep in the family.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Plus, the way the iPhone feels in your hand is elegant, compared to the clunky android.

*cough* Rugcat, I don't wish to embarass you, but Android is an operating system, not a phone. There are tons of different phones with the Android operating system.

And now I willfully embarass myself, because I don't know the exact title of my phone's iteration - I know it's a Samsung, and I think it's a Galaxy Skyrocket S (it runs Android). It's pretty awesome, though. My spouse has a bigger, newer version of the same phone, and it's perfect for his gigantic hands and ears.

Never been impressed with the iPhones, myself.

ETA: I do hate my phone's/OS's auto-correct feature. Several of my more humiliating verbal errors on AW can be attributed to said feature, which I don't even know how to turn off. /Luddite

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth . . .

I have only a semi-smart phone (an LG model). Mine has a very nice slide-out keyboard (it slides from the side, so it's almost as big as the footprint of the phone), but a small screen (2.8 inches). This was something of a mistake. I don't text that much, so I don't need the keyboard that much.

On the next phone I get, I will get one with a larger screen, even if it doesn't have a separate keypad. If someone did a lot of texting they might feel just the reverse. I would be willing to trade the compactness of my current phone for a larger screen.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on what you need it for, your (possible) carrier, and what you're looking for.
You also have to remember that if you do get a smartphone, I think every US carrier forces you to get a data plan unless you get a prepaid plan.
Otherwise, there's a lot of good "dumb" phones still coming out that you can get.

I love my Nexus 4. It's one of the cheapest good phones you can get nowadays ($300 right from Google without contract), still battles with some of the big boys out right now, and does everything I can ask of it without fault.

Never been impressed with the iPhones, myself.
My exact sentiments. Apple used to lead the pack with iphones, now they're barely keeping up.
Honestly, I can't think of a single reason to get an iphone over other (relatively priced) smartphones on the market nowadays. Unless you just want an iphone...

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I can't think of a single reason to get an iphone over other (relatively priced) smartphones on the market nowadays.

I can think of various:Shrug:, but that's for another thread.:Jump:

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net

I purchased a used Galaxy Nexus six months ago and have been quite happy with it. Buying used is a good way to get great deals if you don't need the latest and greatest.

Also, carrier skins and bloatware on non-Nexus Android phones stinks. I'd get either a Nexus/Google Play Edition phone or an iPhone, depending on what ecosystem you prefer.

Oh, and consider build quality. Samsung phones tend to have higher specs but cheaper external components.

Personally, I'd recommend a Nexus 4, purchased new and unlocked from Google itself (they're cheaper now than they were when I bought, and I was on a bit of a budget). Then go and hook up to one of these guys and pay way less than a normal plan:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375644,00.asp

You take a bit of a hit buying the Nexus 4 outright, but you'll probably be coming out ahead in less than a year.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
*cough* Rugcat, I don't wish to embarass you, but Android is an operating system, not a phone. There are tons of different phones with the Android operating system.
Of course.

I was just using shorthand for brevity. Feel free when you see the phrase "Android phone" to substitute "smart phones that use the Android OS, including the very popular Samsung Galaxy 4, which many of my friends have and prefer, but none of which that I've been able to find are equal in feel and design to the iPhone."

The OP apparently is not particularly a smart phone enthusiast. Like myself, he simply finally broke down and decided to get one.

For those looking for a phone which reliably and simply does basic functions like calling, email, etc, is easy to learn, and has capabilities that go further if you want, the iPhone is a good choice, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.