Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Submission service] Scribble Vault

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar

[Submission service] Scribble Vault

Received an email from Biren Shah touting this new service - ScribbleVault.com. Basically, I pay someone else to submit my short stories.

There's a per-month fee - $5, $20 or $50 - based on the number of stories you have ready for submission and an additional per-story fee for every submission - $3 for electronic subs and $6 for print subs. ETA: Sorry, read that wrong. Aside from the "Basic" package they include a certain number of electronic subs free. And the "Ultimate" package also includes the first 5 print subs free.

I'm really not sure what the advantage is supposed to be. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Aggy B.; 08-16-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "Don't pick it up if you have important things to do today."
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."
    OF SHADE AND SOUL: Available now!

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Basically, I pay...
    I don't know. I can't past those three words without running, not walking, away from 'em.

Now that I think about it, it may not be a con-game after all. They may honestly think they are offering a service, and don't realize they are possibly just monetizing rejection slips.

Submissions are annoying to research and keep track of, I'll grant. But they are part of doing the damn work.* I'd make a guess and say that writers who jump onto this service 'to save time' may not be ready to be published anyway (a variation of Filigree's Rule.) I'm not that reassured by looking at the supposed testimonials on the site.

* The reason for doing your own work is figuring out who the top-tier markets are for each story, and submitting to those in a descending scale of importance. Sometimes holding on to a story is better than giving it to an unsatisfactory market. Is Shah's company really dedicated to knowing those permutations in every single market?

ETA, from their own web copy about this same issue: 'We constantly researching and updating our database, so you don't have to!'

I would not trust anyone writing this to write my cover letter for a short story submission.
    Last edited by Filigree; 08-16-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Violates Yog's Law.

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    I didn't necessarily think 'it's a con", just that it's pretty impractical. My most recently pubbed story went through 14 markets over the course of 2 1/2 years. The semi-pro payment on the final sale would not have covered the costs of a "service" like this.

Really and truly, I prefer to do my own market research and get my own rejections. Especially since, you know, it's free when I do it myself.
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "Don't pick it up if you have important things to do today."
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."
    OF SHADE AND SOUL: Available now!

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
    Received an email from Biren Shah touting this new service - ScribbleVault.com. Basically, I pay someone else to submit my short stories.

There's a per-month fee - $5, $20 or $50 - based on the number of stories you have ready for submission and an additional per-story fee for every submission - $3 for electronic subs and $6 for print subs. ETA: Sorry, read that wrong. Aside from the "Basic" package they include a certain number of electronic subs free. And the "Ultimate" package also includes the first 5 print subs free.

I'm really not sure what the advantage is supposed to be. Thoughts?
    I know of not a single publisher that would deal with a 'subscription service' like this. They all deal directly with the author or, at the pro level, the author's agent, not services like this.

Totally not worth the fees, especially when payment for shorts in the smaller markets doesn't equal the fees they charge.
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo
    Worth More than Words available now from Dreamspinner Press
    In the Heart of Love-Coming Soon
    SOLD: Nikki's Dragon-short story anthology to Fireborn Publishing

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Unfortunately, someone will/has used them because of a lack of understanding how commercial/trade publishing works...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Aaand, it's gone.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: