Rankings and reality - are people interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Before I was published, and then for a few months thereafter, I was a little obsessed with how my book was doing in Amazon's rankings, and wondering how that would translate to sales. (Not like that any more, no.... :))

Naturally, I Googled the issue plenty but I found little hard info, so I was wondering - I now have my first royalty statement, and I have looked at my ranking and the # of books Amazon claimed I'd sold (using Bookscan) over the period of that statement. As a result, I can make a pretty interesting comparison between reality and the rankings.

At least, it's interesting to me. So I was wondering, if I blogged about it, would people like to see how a 20,000k average ranking correlates to sales? Or, if Amazon says I sold XX number of books in a two month period, what does my royalty statement say? That kind of thing?

I know this would be revealing some private info, but I don't much care about that. Are there reasons I'm not thinking about that I shouldn't do this? I think of it as kind of a public services to those out there wandering through the fog, the way I was.

Thoughts?

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I am a rankings junkie, so... yes, definitely. :D

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

There isn't always a correlation between the rankings and the royalties, because royalties are based on what the PUBLISHER sells and rankings are based on what Amazon/booksellers sell. Not the same thing.

None of which means that I don't check my rankings on a regular basis.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

There isn't always a correlation between the rankings and the royalties, because royalties are based on what the PUBLISHER sells and rankings are based on what Amazon/booksellers sell. Not the same thing.

None of which means that I don't check my rankings on a regular basis.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Some publishers break down royalty statements into how many books were sold through each venue -- that's probably how he can draw the correlations. :)

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
Mine doesn't break them down much. And it won't be scientific by any means. Just a drop more info for writers starved of it.

I'll try and put something short together in the next day or two. It wont be detailed, more of an overall view. I'll do it on my blog then come back here and link to it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unless you're a bestselling writer, Amazon ranking means pretty much nothing, and can bounce all over the place with only a couple of sales.

The way I look at it is that interest creates ranking, not the other way around.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
Quick update. I've written the blog entry but I ran the idea by my publicist and she asked me to hold off until the head publicist returns next week. Hopefully I'll get the go-ahead then.

Grenouille Bleue

Love, love me do
Registered
Reaction score
For a quick and dirty comparison, Novelrank said I made 9,100 sales from july-december 2012. My publisher statement is 6,665 (one more and it would have been fun to behold).

So it seems that Novelrank is off by about a third.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
For a quick and dirty comparison, Novelrank said I made 9,100 sales from july-december 2012. My publisher statement is 6,665 (one more and it would have been fun to behold).

So it seems that Novelrank is off by about a third.
Novel rank is generally known for under-reporting not over reporting. I think your publishers royalty statement will be behind what you actually sold because third party sales come to them months later and are reported to you later?

Grenouille Bleue

Love, love me do
Registered
Reaction score
Novel rank is generally known for under-reporting not over reporting. I think your publishers royalty statement will be behind what you actually sold because third party sales come to them months later and are reported to you later?

Maybe. That would be a nice surprise :D

However, I think Novelrank is pretty accurate when dealing with low sales but get carried away when you get in the top 10 since there are less books to compare the sales with.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Those figures on Theresa's Ragan's blog match basically how my kindle sales have worked almost to a tee. Mine, in early July, hit the top 100 for historical fiction at about 50 out of 29000+ titles with an overall ranking of around 1400 - I use a ranking thing called metric junkie which is similar to novel rank and it only registered a couple of sales when hundreds were being sold. Metric junkie didn't catch up and become accurate until sales slowed. Wouldn't it be lovely to get to that overall #1 position.

Status
Not open for further replies.