AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Valancourt Books

[Publisher] Valancourt Books

Valancourt Books is primarily a publisher of reprints of rare (extremely rare) books such as 18th and 19th century Gothics. (Oooooh.) But I noticed that they are now reprinting hard-to-find 20th century books, so I thought I'd start a thread on them. Just in case any published authors around here are looking at potential new homes for old stories. I can't find much information about submissions. The page is mainly geared toward readers, which is of course a good sign for a publisher.

Here is the URL thingie:
    http://valancourtbooks.com/

ETA: The usual questions... Has anyone had any dealings with them, how were they, etc.? Can anyone find their submission requirements for living authors/estates? While I don't qualify (although I wrote a couple of articles for Gothic Journal ), I am curious about what they are looking for in case any authors I know are curious enough to ask. (Obviously they are not dealing with the authors who wrote the Gothics from the 1790s. If they were, that would make a great book.)

BTW I see that they have reprinted The Amulet by Michael McDowell! That might be one of the ultimate 1970s horror novels. And I've already spent more money on their Gothic reprints that I should have.
    Last edited by AnneMarble; 08-14-2013 at 05:22 AM.
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Here's an interview where they touch on their selection process: http://www.horrorafterdark.com/2015/...ancourt-books/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Valancourt published my edition of the 1889 Mona Caird novel The Wing of Azrael:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wing-Azrael.../dp/1934555940

I can't remember how I found Valancourt, but I was definitely looking for a publisher that would bring out a scholarly edition, with all the critical apparatus and attention to textual variants. I wrote my PhD on Caird so I had the background to write the introduction and research the (many, many) footnotes, and I like to think I did a pretty good job.

This was several years ago, so I've forgotten most of the details and have no information about what they're currently looking for, but I had a good relationship with them and would not hesitate to recommend them.