It only took 46 years...

Vega57

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

When I was in 5th grade, we were given an assignment to write some poetry. I wrote two verses and was having trouble with the third. When I raised my hand, the teacher came over and read what I had written. She said, "Wow" a few times and left the room. When she came back, she had another teacher with her. The second teacher read what I wrote and also said, "Wow." They both told me that I had a talent for writing.

At the beginning of every school year, my papers were always the first to be read to the class, even while I was in college. Also, I wrote some articles for a local paper. Unfortunately, that paper quickly died.

It's now been 46 years since I wrote that first poem. I've married, divorced, re-married, re-divorced (lol!), had some children, worked in various fields and traveled overseas.

My youngest child graduated high school last year and I lost my job (and boyfriend of 4 years) around the same time. I figure that NOW is my chance to start writing again.

I'm now looking forward to a lucrative writing career and I'm raising my glass (of orange juice) in a toast: A writer doesn't write because he wants to say something; a writer writes because he has something to say.

May we ALL have something to say!

Vega

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Diminishingmirage

Registered
Reaction score
A write has to be READY to write, I enjoyed writing as a kid, had a few creative writing classes, in college they said I missed the cutoff for English placing and I had to take a remedial English class and the professor asked me several times why they put me in there and kept telling me she was willing to boot me up but I stayed...I wrote poetry in high school when I was going through a depression period, once I got well I kind of lost the knack for poetry, one of my poems was published through poetry.com though, it wasn't until two years ago that as a mother of two a wife and a cheerleading coach also battling chronic illness that I decided to pick up writing again...sometimes things just have to fall into place in life for you to be in the READY position! Wishing you good luck!

Booker

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Wow Wow Welcome Vega57

The lucrative writing career :yessmiley

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I always found it annoying how often stuff I written was read to the class. The worst was when I had to read it. *shudders*

Degas_Dancer_Sydney

Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, Vega57, you have reminded me that I need to do my proper self-introduction soon. I'm also a late starter, and also a newbie here!

Lance Rocks

Banned
Reaction score
Your title intrigued me, Vega...good job!

Your school experience was similar to mine: got tagged as a writer in elementary school, then sent to advanced courses later on. The SAT's cemented the deal: scored at the top in writing and reading; barely scraped by in math.

Want to offer an alternative view to your fine post, Diminishingmirage. (Great handle!) Of course we start writing because we are ready. But the professional discipline is different: one writes each working day, ready or not, because that's what one is paid to do.

Thanks again, Vega. Hope to speak with you again soon!

Last edited: