Braggage III

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
My mystery-horror tale “Most Evil” appears in the police anthology Busted! Arresting Stories from the Beat (Level Best Books), just released on Amazon in both paperback and ebook (included in Kindle Unlimited program).

Storyline: A gangster with strange voodoo powers seems to return from the dead to murder rival hoodlums.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic sian wish I'd seen it before, my character gets shot in the arm with an arrow while he runs away ( he continues running ) but after 40 min or so his vision starts to get spotty and he becomes very lethargic and is laid on the floor eventually struggling to move freely, when he recieves medical attention , (though good transfusion is not an option ) it takes him two days to get back on his feet,( though far from fit ) he is young and strong so it seems a good fit.

Last edited:

pdichellis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congratulations, Sian! Though I know it was written for an SF market, your article - How To Injure Characters Without Killing Them - is definitely great stuff for mystery writers. If you don't mind, I'd like to post a link to the article on my mystery writer forums.

In other Braggage, after getting five (count 'em) rejections in May, I recently landed two acceptances. One for Issue 2 of the new LA-based crime mag Switchblade and one from Canada favorite Mystery Weekly. I imagine both stories will be published later this summer or perhaps in early autumn, but don't have exact scheduling yet.

pdichellis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you, Tamlyn and CharlieT.

Mystery Weekly just went live with a supersized humor issue that includes my story (“Darkness, Darkness”) about a blind man who witnesses a murder and offers detectives a peculiar assortment of puzzling clues.

For those not familiar with Mystery Weekly, it’s a cool venue for short mysteries. They publish print and e-formats and include a free preview sample of all stories on their site (click the story title for the full sample). You also can sign up to receive a free weekly email with a complete story. (I signed up over a year ago and have never received any spam or sales pitches, just stories.)

If you like writing short mysteries (pays 1c/word up to $25) or reading them, Mystery Weekly is definitely worth checking out.

pdichellis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
July turned out to be a lucky month for me.

In addition to a couple of mystery/crime stories, one at noir magazine Switchblade and one already posted (above), my humor piece “The All-Night Zombie Channel” just went live and free to read at The Higgs Weldon comedy site.

Luxtizer

Registered
Reaction score
After about nine months of submitting my work, I finally got an acceptance for one of my stories! It's not a professional payment, but it's still pretty amazing to be getting paid for my work for the first time.

Big thanks to the super helpful beta readers I met here who helped me edit this one.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
My story 'Lightning Dance' came out on Diabolical Plots today.

I haven't managed to sell anything or even get close this year (so far, still got a couple of months I guess) so this is a nice something to pick me up.

pdichellis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Following a bit of a dry spell (many rejections), I’ve got a new crime-horror flash piece just published and free to read at Spelk Fiction.

Storyline: After a botched robbery a young criminal flees into a creepy basement.

Only 500 words, so a quickie read for a Friday the Thirteenth leading up to Halloween!

pdichellis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Two bits of good news over the past few days.

My humorous You-Solve-It whodunit "The Mysterious Meatball Autopsy" appears in the new edition of Mystery Weekly Magazine.

And the Malice Domestic anthology Murder Most Geographical accepted my story “The Belle Hope” (a humorous private eye yarn about sunken treasure and missing treasure hunters) for publication in April.

Wish every week was like this one! (But good luck with that.)

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
2 sales in a week is amazing! That requires much celebrating using ice cream (and whatever libatious topping you like best). In fact, I may even have a bowl in your honour. :D

Two bits of good news over the past few days.

My humorous You-Solve-It whodunit "The Mysterious Meatball Autopsy" appears in the new edition of Mystery Weekly Magazine.

And the Malice Domestic anthology Murder Most Geographical accepted my story “The Belle Hope” (a humorous private eye yarn about sunken treasure and missing treasure hunters) for publication in April.

Wish every week was like this one! (But good luck with that.)