Sormances!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
There are plenty of bromances out there, but just not a lot of good sormances - at least, that I know of. I read a lot of books that are, shall we say, chick-a-riffic, and even I can only come up with three off the top of my head, and I'm not sure if the first two really count because they're about flesh-and-blood sisters:

'Til We Have Faces, C.S. Lewis
The Weird Sisters, Eleanor Brown

and The Secrets of Jin-Shei, by Alma Alexander

The book should be about the bonds and relationships between/among women that are ideally unrelated. Bonus points for veiled homoerotic undertones.

Because I can't recommend the book enough, and the author is so sweet, here's a passage from the prologue of Secrets:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I was loved by those who were born to love me - my mother, my children - and by those who chose to love me - my husband, and the sisters of my heart. And I lost or outlived them all, and now I am an old woman waiting in the starlight until the sun rises, once again, on a brand new day - waiting for the day that the sun will rise and I will see the dawn on the shores of that river which I must cross before I am together once more with the ones I have loved.

I have lived in three Imperial reigns. Mine was the time of love and fire, of pain, of loss, of joy, of grief, of laughter, of greed and arrogance and dreams and betrayals. Mine was the world of family, and of ancestors, and of the bond of jin-shei, the sisterhood of women which shaped the society I had been born into. I belonged in my world, and it belonged to me -- and yet it was but one tiny corner of Empire in which I too played my small part.

All women in Syai are given the gift of the secret vow, the promise that is everlasting, the bond that does not break. I shared my own life with a healer, an alchemist, a sage, a soldier, a gypsy, a rebel leader, a loving ghost and an Empress who dreamed of immortality and nearly destroyed us all. The years of sisterhood. The jin-shei years.

Kito-Tai
Year 28 of the Star Emperor[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.