Graphic equalizer question

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here can perhaps point me in the right direction.

I sing in a barbershop quartet. What I want to do is set up a practise mic to help us balance our sound by watching something like the graphic equalizer on a Windows Media Player, but live, rather than recording and playing back. The voices should be manipulating the frequencies rather than using a mixer to manipulate the voices.

Is there something out there in music stores that would let me see the frequencies as they're being produced? And could it be hooked up to a small screen so all four of us can see it while we're singing?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's probably something with enough frequency resolution to show the fundamental of each voice (Have a smartphone or slate thingie? Try looking on an app site for spectrum analyzer or spectrum display. For a Mac or PC, some recording programs may have real-time audio spectrum display), but it may not be as useful as you're hoping.

The best way to "balance" your voices is with actual listening. Set up a mic (at least six feet away from all of you, presuming you want acoustic balance between your voices) that goes to a preamp/mixer that drives in-ear monitors (these are highly isolating, you'll pretty much hear ONLY what the mic hears) that one or more of you wear.

Otherwise, have someone listening as you practice, and tell you who should be louder and who should be softer. Record the practice from the listening position to verify the listener's opinion.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. We do already record our practises as a matter of course. I'd hoped being able to see the result dancing on a screen might help with the "wall of sound" our coaches and judges want.

I appreciate the help.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will look into it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
A graphic equaliser (I think you mean a spectrograph) isn't going to tell you much. I would recommend benbradley's failsafe: have someone listen and have them comment. Cheaper too, I reckon.

A graphic equaliser (equaliser + spectrograph) is there to act as a means of stress testing your music on various loudspeakers.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm thinking one thing and naming something else? I'm thinking the little visual lines that bounce up and down when certain frequencies are getting louder or softer.

benbradley does have it right: a "fifth ear" is an absolute necessity. We have several people willing to listen but they can't be at every rehearsal. I'm not sure if what I'm thinking would actually help or not. It couldn't hurt, but as you point out, Xelebes, there would be a cost involved.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. :)

Thank you, everyone, again.