Advice Needed: Facebook Etiquette with Editors

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
I just placed a story with a magazine staffed by a roster of heavy hitters. I'm thrilled, and I want to add the ones who I know have read my piece as Facebook friends.

Is this a no-no? And if it is all right to do, how do I go about it? Do I ask in my next email to the mag if they'd like to friend me, or do I request their friendship on Facebook?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I wouldn't, personally. I am very very picky on my personal page who I add, and if I don't know someone outside of the writing business I do not add them. At least until we've spent time building a relationship--even an online one--through business correspondence, etc.

Just put a link in your email signature that directs to your facebook page. That is sufficient, I think. Then they can take the next step--if they want to.

I don't friend everyone I do business with by any means.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Friending professional contacts makes more sense on a professional networking site like Linked In.

If the publication or publisher has a Facebook page you should consider liking it. This may also make a good "friend." You can look at the page to see if other authors are listed as friends. Ask your editor about this option.

Xx.Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
I would wait until you develop a more personal relationship with these people. As an editor myself, I get incredibly frustrated when authors try to add me on facebook, particularly those who are still trying to get out of the slush pile. It feels like blatant ladder climbing- more brown nosing "Look who I know!" than anything else.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
When I make a friend request on Facebook, I always send a message saying who I am and how I know them, or why I want to be friends. That leaves it up to them to friend me back. I don't consider it brown nosing at all.