Speech to text

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangydawg

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else tried to write using speech to text programs? Currently, the 2 most popular programs are Dragon Naturally Speaking and the Microsoft program that comes with Windows 7 & 8. I have 7, so don't know what other versions have it. Dragon costs over $100. MS is already on my computer, so I didn't have to buy it.

I used this to write my 25,000 word novella. More accurately, I mainly used the speech to text, but took to the keys to correct mistakes as they happened. I type 88 wpm at 100% accuracy. I experimented with speech to text to see how it would compare to my typing speed. I used a year old laptop and just used the built in microphone. I'll give my experience using it here. If others have tried this, I'd like to hear what your experience was with it.

So, I cranked Microsoft's version up and followed the instructions for training it. It took under 1 hour. I sat there reading sentences on the screen aloud until it was done.

Next, I opened a fresh word document. I set up the title and author by keyboard as well as setting the font and pitch.

Then, I began speaking and it began "typing" what I said. I used my tab to indent, but it probably had a voice command for that.

It screwed up a lot. Each time, I corrected it by voice. After half an hour, it stopped screwing up the same words over and over and it went more smoothly. It learns your voice & speech. Once I stopped talking like a robot, it did even better. I still had to annunciate, though, so it wasn't my conversational voice/speed, either.

Speaking one word at a time causes more errors. The reason? It's using other words in the sentence to figure out things like the difference between meet and meat, as well as differentiating what you said from other words that rhyme. At the same time, if I spoke too many words, it screwed them up. I found 3-8 words at a time worked best for me.

I used it for 2 days before I got fairly comfortable with it. It felt like swimming through Jello, especially when I had to correct something it got wrong. I made forward progress, though, on the story.

Day 3 saw an improvement, though it took me hours to realize it. I was about ready to shut it down and let fly my trusty fingers. Told myself I wouldn't use it on day 4. No way. It seemed so darn slow to me. But, in the interest of giving it a fair shot, I decided to use it till the end of day 3, despite how darn slow it felt.

Result--I wrote over 10,000 words on day 3 using speech to text. Took me 5 hours to do it, though. In theory, I could write a novel in about 50 hours this way. In practice, I pause here and there to figure out what I'm going to say next and how to say it and I do get stuck at times, so 50 hours would be extremely optimistic. One thing for sure; you know when you're using awkward sentences. You can hear it. Typing, I wouldn't have noticed until editing time.

This is more than I usually type in that time frame. I was shocked. It felt like I was going slow. No way could this be faster than typing. Yet, the word count was plain to see. I tried an experiment. I typed a long, long, run-on sentence while my son manned a stopwatch. (Sentence approached paragraph length) Then, I spoke the sentence and fixed whatever errors occurred with the keys. Result? Speech to text cut about 7 seconds off each sentence, even with the keyboard fixes.

Now, I know my typing speed works out to 5280 words per hour if I don't stop for an hour straight. STT produced 2000 words per hour for me. The math doesn't add up, right?

Well, I don't know what speech to text is capable of if I talked straight through an hour, so I can't compare it like that. Like I said, I pause a lot to think about what I'm going to say next.

I'm wondering if I was able to get more words down because I could hear myself talking it out and flowing paragraphs came easier. I'm one who edits as I write the first draft. I suspect I was able to get more of it right the first time because I was saying it out loud and the words just came easier.

For me, this is a boost in productivity. I'll be using it a lot from here on out to write fiction. My wife noticed my manuscript flowed better than usual on the first draft. There was a lot less editing to do on it than usual, as well.

What's next? I'm going to record my voice on my iPhone to and from work, then listen through the earbud later as I speak it into the computer. This will guarantee me over an hour of writing time each working day, which will be in addition to writing after work.

In the future, I may get a digital voice recorder, record the chapters away from the computer, then plug it into the computer to turn it to text.

I read the accuracy improves dramatically with a boom mike on your head. I just used the built in microphone in the laptop. Hopefully, accuracy will improve further once I have one.

All in all, this was a positive experience for me. Your mileage may vary. If you have Windows 7 or 8, I'd suggest you do your own experiment to see if it can be of use to you. It took me 2 days before I got used to speaking the story aloud, so give it some time before you decide. Also, time the difference between speaking & typing. Try speaking for an hour, then typing for an hour and watch the word count. Also, look for any difference in flow and rhythm. If you type faster than I do, it could slow you down.

Hope this helps someone.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Dragon Naturally Speaking is pretty much the best game in town even head & shoulders above MS's emulation (which is likely drawing pretty heavily from Dragon). Even the basic version you can get from Walmart is very accurate and easy to use after training and it's only $50 (the premium version can run you $100+).

NikiK

Registered
Reaction score
Dragon Naturally Speaking is pretty much the best game in town even head & shoulders above MS's emulation (which is likely drawing pretty heavily from Dragon).

Same for me. I started off with MS's speech recognition program, but got frustrated after a while with all the corrections I had to make. Purchased Dragon Naturally Speaking and it worked so much better. I had to do less corrections and my thought process wasn't interrupted by the mechanics of the program itself. Productivity went way up - which only makes sense. If you're speaking slowly at about 150 wpm, it's still a lot faster than most people can type.

The other side benefits are that I can move around and I'm not stuck in my chair while writing. Also there is less strain on my wrists. So physically, for me, it's a healthier option.

My only downside is that I have too much background noise and no privacy in my environment to use it. I start speaking into my computer and everybody thinks I'm talking to them.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
As NikiK said, it helps to have a quiet place to speak and I don't. I can type out a story in a crowded room. I've got no place private to speak a story. Besides, I can't stand the sound of my own voice. It makes me self-conscious and the words just don't flow as well as they do when I type.

I'm waiting for a system where I can hook electrodes to my head and have the story taken out directly.

NikiK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a system where I can hook electrodes to my head and have the story taken out directly.

Me too! But then mine would be a movie instead of a novel.

Thanks, Medievalist. I'll check out some better microphones. And maybe invest in earplugs for the people around me.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
People at my office just occasionally look in at me oddly as I'm talking when using Dragon. Of course, it's not generally worse than the odd looks they ordinarily give me. I explained it to my boss once and his only response was "Well, let me know if you need anything else." He, especially, appreciates efficiency and knows that anything that can boost efficiency as much as 150% is worth allowing an employee to use even if it does occasionally sound odd or look like I'm talking to myself.

When we move to our new office space and a more cubicle-like arrangement it might be a bit more uncomfortable for my fellow employees, but I think they'll all want to get in on the act once they understand how efficient Dragon can make certain processes.

Dragon's recently come out with a microphone app for smart phones, but I haven't figured out how to make it work with mine yet. It works over wifi and that would really free up one's ability to get up, move around, transcribe from another room, etc.

Last edited:

PowerWriter

Registered
Reaction score
My voice doesn't translate well with anything. I'll leave it at that.

By the way, you do not need to indent with Microsoft Word. Using styles to apply formatting, you can specify every paragraph be indented. Styles are like css in html, very powerful.

mangydawg

Registered
Reaction score
I just got Dragon Naturally Speaking in the mail. I have to train it, but I'm excited to see how it does. If it works better than Microsoft STT, I'll be pretty happy.

By now, I'm comfortable speaking the stories. The Microsoft version continues to make mistakes, but it's still faster than typing at 88 wpm. I'll report back when I'm up and running with Dragon.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I really like Dragon. I've been using the voice recorder version for some years. It makes a difference when you can write 10,000 words a day but you do have to take the time to make corrections. Make sure you save your profile religiously and back it up. I wouldn't want to loose all that work.

bmstanford09

Registered
Reaction score
I use the windows 7 speech recognition software all the time. Not just for dictating, but also for navigation. I find it really helpful. I do have to be very careful because I have a tendency to speak really quickly, and the words will look right up until I go back, edit, and then find out that it mistook fever for beaver.... Which can have hilarious consequences.

mangydawg

Registered
Reaction score
I really like Dragon. I've been using the voice recorder version for some years. It makes a difference when you can write 10,000 words a day but you do have to take the time to make corrections. Make sure you save your profile religiously and back it up. I wouldn't want to loose all that work.

Thanks for the heads up on saving and backing up the profile.

10,000 words in a day was really great. I won't always have a full day of uninterrupted writing time to get 10,000 words down, but I should be able to produce more work for whatever amount of time I have available using Dragon.

This plus a detailed outline should boost my output, I hope.

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am so intrigued by this. I'm a fast typist but a slow writer, and wonder if this could increase my output. Of course, like you've already mentioned, it might be challenging to find enough privacy for dictation... But still, might be worth trying...

bmstanford09

Registered
Reaction score
I am so intrigued by this. I'm a fast typist but a slow writer, and wonder if this could increase my output. Of course, like you've already mentioned, it might be challenging to find enough privacy for dictation... But still, might be worth trying...

That is something else to keep in mind for sure. I am lucky enough to work from home, so I get a lot of hours by myself a day, but I feel strange talking out loud when people are even in the next room, very self-conscious.

That being said, It does help speed things along if you keep hitting a rut while typing. If you have windows try typing in "speech recognition" in the search bar, and see if it is already installed. If it is, then you can give it a whirl, all you need is a mic. Enjoy.

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That is something else to keep in mind for sure. I am lucky enough to work from home, so I get a lot of hours by myself a day, but I feel strange talking out loud when people are even in the next room, very self-conscious.

That being said, It does help speed things along if you keep hitting a rut while typing. If you have windows try typing in "speech recognition" in the search bar, and see if it is already installed. If it is, then you can give it a whirl, all you need is a mic. Enjoy.

Me too. It feels very strange to hear my voice. But, desperate times call for desperate measures, and writer's block can certainly be desperate.

Luckily I don't think I need to worry about having the software/hardware. I've got computers with XP, Vista, and 7, as well as an iphone and ipad. The iOS devices have a built-in voice recognition thing (which may or may not be any good), and there's also a free Dragon Dictation app for iOS (it won't save the text but you can send it to an email or social media - and if I like it, there's also a paid app that WILL save the text).

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com

There is a lot more editing involved. What spews out of my mouth isn't always best for the written word but a least I get it down. Because I use the recorder, that's my output on a 30 min commute.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
FYI, Guys, Tiger Direct has Dragon Naturally Speaking on sale:

<LINK>

It's $30 off right now, plus a $25 mail-in rebate (MIR). The MIR is good through 9/30.

bmstanford09

Registered
Reaction score
There is a lot more editing involved. What spews out of my mouth isn't always best for the written word but a least I get it down. Because I use the recorder, that's my output on a 30 min commute.

So are we talking about dirty stuff??

Are just not properly articulated?

If it's the former, I'm fascinated! Plus, I like the imagery of you driving along dictating your story, and then someone cuts you off mid-sentance. The playback must be hilarious.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
So are we talking about dirty stuff??

Are just not properly articulated?

If it's the former, I'm fascinated! Plus, I like the imagery of you driving along dictating your story, and then someone cuts you off mid-sentance. The playback must be hilarious.

Not as interesting as all that. Though I have sworn a time or two. Mostly it's the ahs and ums as I work out how I want to say something.

bmstanford09

Registered
Reaction score
Not as interesting as all that. Though I have sworn a time or two. Mostly it's the ahs and ums as I work out how I want to say something.

I do that all the time when I'm dictating. There will be long periods where the recorder will pick up me letting out a long, sustained, "uhhhhhhhh.."

Of course it makes up some stream of words for that, it's usually a pretty funny combination actually.

Like,

"..from dumb bum some tum gum.."

mangydawg

Registered
Reaction score
The average person speaks 100-150 words per minute. I slow down a bit when dictating, so we'll say it's something over 100 wpm.

I dictate pretty much the same way I write. I have had less editing to do after the 1st draft is complete. Also, because I can hear awkward sentences as I speak them, I "rewrite" them to sound better as they happen.

I work from an outline and notes. This helps me follow the map as I travel to the end of the story. Because I don't get lost or sidetracked too much along the way, the actual words on paper get done much quicker than trying to work without an outline and notes.

All in all, I simply can not be as productive without Dragon. Simple as that.

Also, I do use the Dragon app on my iPhone, as well. I use this when I'm away from my computer. I email whatever I "write" to myself, then cut and paste into my Word document. If I'm not using Dragon on the iPhone, like when I'm driving, I use the voice recorder. I'll listen to it later through an ear bud, hit pause, and speak it into the computer.
I'm sure there are better ways of getting the words from the iPhone into the Word document, but this is how I do it.

The iPhone lets me write when writing should be impossible, like when driving or out hiking. It's not as quick as sitting at the computer, but I don't live in front of my computer. Anything I do toward writing while away from the computer makes me more productive. It is especially well suited to outlining and taking notes on characters and setting.

In any case, I highly recommend speech to text as a valuable writing tool.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I've recently been trying to figure out a way to use my Pulse smartpen and Sony digital recorder to do speech to text. Dragon's version is only included in the Premium and Professional versions which are a bit too hefty price-wise for me.

Anyone got any solutions? I notice that several people are using recorders above, but I can't seem to find Dragon Dictate on the Google Play store anymore.

Bonnie Ferrante

Bonnie Ferrante
Registered
Reaction score
Website
my.tbaytel.net
I find that Dragon helps with sentence construction. Since I'm speaking aloud, it becomes quickly apparent when sentences are too long or phrases are clumsy. I do have to be very diligent with proofreading, though, as I often miss mistakes. I use the reading back option to help with this. Because of physical problems, Dragon is essential when I am writing for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.