Hi All!!

Diminishingmirage

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I've completed my first novel last year. It is part of a three book series, I am halfway through writing number two and began the query process for finding a literary agent this past may and I have to say it is a bit daunting. I've queried A LOT of agents and had a ton of rejections and no replies....at what point do I give up on finding an agent? I mean how many rejections should I take before I really start to question my ability to write?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

To your question, you could be querying the wrong agents, you could have gone against their submission rules, and writers have gone through hundreds before finding their right agent.

But, it might not be that. I could be that your query doesn't grab them. It could be that your first couple pages doesn't grab them. It could be that your writing needs work. It could be that your storytelling needs work. I don't know since I haven't read your query/story.
You can get help with your writing/story, and even the query letter here in the Share Your Work section of the forums. You need 50+ posts to put up your work, but you can read and comment in the meantime.

tinker

Winging it!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! Spend some time looking around. There's some great information on this site and quite a few knowledgeable individuals who may help you with your questions.
:welcome:

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome. Have you checked out the Beware and Background Check board yet? It might help you find the right agent.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Since you aren't getting any bites on your query, it might be time to take a break and see if there's something you can improve about the query and first pages especially. Once you get to fifty posts, you can post your query and first chapter up in Share Your Work.

To get those fifty posts, you can offer some critiques of your own. They don't have to be in-depth, but everything helps.

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com
hand_writing_zps57b589ec.gif

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Aefnung

Arma virumque cano
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck with querying!

Diminishingmirage

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much yeah I have revamped my query before my second round of agents I queried like 28 the first round and probably around that the second round and just did like 30 this round, I am just having a hard time believe my story premise wouldn't at least warrant a bite here and there, it helps to know that some people have had to query hundreds of agents because that is looking more and more like how this might go....

Diminishingmirage

Registered
Reaction score
Griffen your book looks good I love post apocalyptic novels and movies I had a post apocalyptic idea for my next series!

PandoraGray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pandoragray.com
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I am in the middle of book 2 in my 5 book series and I've begun querying agents with only a few partials/fulls. I've found many great answers to my questions on here. Good luck to you! :)

Diminishingmirage

Registered
Reaction score
Pandora I haven't been asked for any partial or fulls yet and that is the problem its a novel series based on reincarnation and built around the past lives and they are the best part, I just need them to READ past chapter 5 at least before they turn me down I feel if they would just READ it there wouldn't be any question they would know it was worthy....I have already decided im going to query my behind off until I have exhausted my well of agents to query, then if I still fail I will try publishers, if I still can't succeed I will look into self publishing as a last resort....im really sensitive so its hard to not get discouraged with each rejection but I am happy they haven't been mean about it I got one rejection from Kathleen Zakhar and it was really nice she praised my characters depth and how well the story flowed etc but she just didn't love the surmise enough I suppose but again I think if they read the whole thing they would love it....argh its hard

Particleman

Underwater, but not wet
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't tried the agent route yes as I'm still just submitting short stories around smaller e-zines just to get my writing/submitting feet wet. All I can say is keep writing, keep trying, and . . . oh yeah . . . welcome :D