Swearing (or lack of) for Christian YA market

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatherineGreen

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a YA fantasy series that explored the lives of young adults in a imaginary faith community. It was designed to give secular teens a view into the lives of religious teens, and give religious teens a chance to be the 'cool' ones. I totally failed in to find an agent who was interested. Now I'm planning to self-publish but I want to make sure I'm not cutting myself out of the market before I start.

When I thought it would be published by a mainstream publisher, I wrote the characters speaking as they would in real life. The secular ones use swear words (sparingly when I thought there was no way they would have said anything else) in one place they refer to drug use, it is assumed the main characters are sleeping together although not stated explicitly.

Is this going to prevent my book being read by Christian teens? (I'm not a Christian and in my own community such things would not be acceptable.)

Thanks for the help.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a YA fantasy series that explored the lives of young adults in a imaginary faith community. It was designed to give secular teens a view into the lives of religious teens, and give religious teens a chance to be the 'cool' ones. I totally failed in to find an agent who was interested. Now I'm planning to self-publish but I want to make sure I'm not cutting myself out of the market before I start.

When I thought it would be published by a mainstream publisher, I wrote the characters speaking as they would in real life. The secular ones use swear words (sparingly when I thought there was no way they would have said anything else) in one place they refer to drug use, it is assumed the main characters are sleeping together although not stated explicitly.

Is this going to prevent my book being read by Christian teens? (I'm not a Christian and in my own community such things would not be acceptable.)

Thanks for the help.

It might not preclude Christian teens from reading it, but it would probably preclude Christian parents from buying it.

I think if it wouldn't be accepted in your community, it might be safe to assume it wouldn't be well received in the Christian community either (especially not aimed at kids) unless there are negative consequences from the sleeping together, etc. Basically, if those things don't lead to "happily ever after" as-is, but rather create a 'teachable moment' for those characters or others around them. Otherwise, just let it be a "book" and find the audience it finds without shooting for a particular niche.

Goldberry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little confused- if your book is designed to give secular teens a view into the lives of Christian teens, shouldn't your target audience be secular teens? I'm not sure you could write a "Christian" book and have secular teens be interested in it or want to buy it.

You could just publish it as a YA fantasy without trying to target it towards Christians.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yeah, it's unlikely any CBA-reading parent would allow a book into the house that had bad words or implied sex and drug use. Sorry. I second the suggestion to pub it as plain old YA.

Status
Not open for further replies.