A voice from the Greek Orthodox church

Status
Not open for further replies.

mando

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I didn't expect to find this kind of discussion in a writers' forum and I am pleasantly surprised. I have deep roots in the Christian Orthodox Church which I tried to cut off, but it seems that they were so deep that even if the tree almost fell down due to strong storms, it was not uprooted.
Since I am possibly the only representative of this creed in the forum I would be very glad to share with you my own journey and my knowledge about the Orthodox Church in all its aspects: spiritual, literary, artistic. I would also be very pleased to answer to any questions that you might have. I can do that in series so that my posts are not too long, if I see that there is some interest.

Here is a small taste of my experiences:

http://www.squidoo.com/monasteries-greece

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Hi, welcome to our board. Thanks for your link. Your journey as a spiritual awakening might be of more interest on our Christian Board, but your perspectives upon your own and other religions are welcome here as well.

I don't know how many Orthodox members we have, but I know you are not alone here.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You also might keep an eye on the Story Research section. We had a post there not too long ago asking about the Orthodox Church. At least one person answered who was a member, like yourself, so you're not alone here.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

mando

Registered
Reaction score

You also might keep an eye on the Story Research section. We had a post there not too long ago asking about the Orthodox Church. At least one person answered who was a member, like yourself, so you're not alone here.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Thank you very much.

I have also pondered over freedom and the lack of it. I find your quotation very true and, if you don't mind, I will paraphrase it according to my own perception. "The only freedom that we have is whether we will love others or not".

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
You are not the only Orthodox on the forum. I am also Orthodox.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
The Jesus prayer. It's the heart and soul of Christianity boiled down to one prayer. That convinced me that Orthodoxy was real. And no, I was not born Orthodox. I am of thoroughly American stock.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

I have also pondered over freedom and the lack of it. I find your quotation very true and, if you don't mind, I will paraphrase it according to my own perception. "The only freedom that we have is whether we will love others or not".

About you rephrasing: I think it is really more whether we'll let that love out or not, because I have this terribly positive notion that love is inherent in all of us. :)

When I came up with the quote (and yes, I'm the author), my idea was more about commitment; that refusing to commit is refusing to accept our truest freedom.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I think most of us do commit to something. I think it would be pretty hard to go through life without committing to something. We might not recognize that something as commitment.

mando

Registered
Reaction score
The Jesus prayer. It's the heart and soul of Christianity boiled down to one prayer. That convinced me that Orthodoxy was real. And no, I was not born Orthodox. I am of thoroughly American stock.

It is very inspiring to learn that a person so far away, of such a different culture practices the Jesus prayer. I wish you that it bears its extraordinary fruit and fills your heart with joy.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
One of these days maybe I'll be good at it. I wish you the same things back.

Status
Not open for further replies.